Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

There is also:
OP: I think I need to eliminate ich with a nuclear bomb.
FF: Try malachite green.
silence.
FF2: try heat.
silence.
FF3 : try salt.
silence.
FF4: you might try methelyne blue.
silence.
FF5: a nuclear bomb would work.
OP: Yes, Now finally a sensible post.

It isn't just here. There are so many people online who ask questions so they can hear their own answers, not matter what.

There is also:
OP: I think I need to eliminate ich with a nuclear bomb.
FF: Try malachite green.
silence.
FF2: try heat.
silence.
FF3 : try salt.
silence.
FF4: you might try methelyne blue.
silence.
FF5: a nuclear bomb would work.
OP: Yes, Now finally a sensible post.

It isn't just here. There are so many people online who ask questions so they can hear their own answers, not matter what.
Also true 😂

I love the ones, common on Facebook, where someone says something that generates strong opinions. Ideas fly around, sometimes heatedly. But in the wonderful way of open-minded people, a consensus forms and an idea develops from the long and convoluted discussion. Peace and mutual respect reign, for once online.
Then some knucklehead who was too lazy to read the entire thread suddenly drops one of the discredited ideas that ten people examined thoughtfully at the end of the discussion, like it was something new and unthought of. It sits there like the conclusion of the debate.

I always think back to my favourite teacher when I was at school, an intense Grade 6 teacher from Barbados who found himself in a school of tough Irish Canadian working class kids. We loved him, and always feared him saying, in his Barbadian accent, "Boy, don't play the fool". He never called us fools - he made it clear that being a fool was a disgraceful choice. I won't read the 900 response threads from the start, but any advice thread I try to, because even the wrong, off base answers can be right in aspects you didn't think of. When I screw up and get lazy, I hear that voice.

Aquarium snobbery....too much of it thesedays.

The aquarium decor used is entirely down to the choice and financial situation of the aquarium owner. Who is anyone to judge that another fishkeeper is bad if they use artificial (regardless of colours used) planting, substrate etc. The use of live planting and plain substrates are not the be all and end all. Those who use artificial decor are frequently judged and overlooked....that is plain snobbery on the part of those who downgrade artificial decor.

You do not know the circumstances....ie...financial constraints involved (especially with the younger fishkeepers who have limited access to funds or who's aquarium was bought as a present by family members and who are so proud to own it but then face some seriously harsh critique due to the use of artificial this and that...totally unjustified and unfair). There are many reasons that are perfectly understandable why people choose artificial decor.....fish vandalising everything, to poor water quality issues, to unavailability of suitable plants, to a lack of green thumbs etc.

As long as the fish are healthy and active, that is all that should matter.

I would love to see an open size TOTM that was for artificial decor only cos, sadly, those of us on this site (and others...this one is by no means alone in the snobbery department) who have artificial decor never stand a snowball's chance in a furnace against the planted aquariums. And that is not just sad but it means that many members who use artificial decor in their aquariums miss the chance to showcase what can be done with artificial but who daren't enter or do not feel confident entering for fear that they get overlooked, have derogatory remarks made against them and made to feel like 10th class bad fishkeepers...when they are absolutely NOT.

The aquarium decor used is entirely down to the choice and financial situation of the aquarium owner. Who is anyone to judge that another fishkeeper is bad if they use artificial (regardless of colours used) planting, substrate etc. The use of live planting and plain substrates are not the be all and end all. Those who use artificial decor are frequently judged and overlooked....that is plain snobbery on the part of those who downgrade artificial decor.

You do not know the circumstances....ie...financial constraints involved (especially with the younger fishkeepers who have limited access to funds or who's aquarium was bought as a present by family members and who are so proud to own it but then face some seriously harsh critique due to the use of artificial this and that...totally unjustified and unfair). There are many reasons that are perfectly understandable why people choose artificial decor.....fish vandalising everything, to poor water quality issues, to unavailability of suitable plants, to a lack of green thumbs etc.

I would love to see an open size TOTM that was for artificial decor only cos, sadly, those of us on this site (and others...this one is by no means alone in the snobbery department) who have artificial decor never stand a snowball's chance in a furnace against the planted aquariums. And that is not just sad but it means that many members who use artificial decor in their aquariums miss the chance to showcase what can be done with artificial but who daren't enter or do not feel confident entering for fear that they get overlooked, have derogatory remarks made against them and made to feel like 10th class bad fishkeepers...when they are absolutely NOT.
I think artificial decor has it's place... And if you use artificial decor, at least use stuff that looks like actual plants and won't cut the fish. I'm not against ALL artificial decor. I really hate the "rainbow tanks" where it looks like a 5yo old girl picked out all the decor with no limitations....

@AquaBarb. He uses artificial plants and his tanks are THRIVING. He is using them well and knows what he is doing.

I think artificial decor has it's place... And if you use artificial decor, at least use stuff that looks like actual plants and won't cut the fish. I'm not against ALL artificial decor. I really hate the "rainbow tanks" where it looks like a 5yo old girl picked out all the decor with no limitations....

@AquaBarb. He uses artificial plants and his tanks are THRIVING. He is using them well and knows what he is doing.
And what is wrong with a 5 year old picking out decor for their aquarium that mum & dad is buying for them?

Or maybe a teen or adult with disability or learning problems who chose garish decor for their much loved and cherished fishy home?

When describing decor you should remember that younger children and those who may have a deficit of some sort do actually pick out decor and although it might make you shudder....to them it is awesome and they love it and they are proud of it........and they would be terribly hurt by comments like that

And what is wrong with a 5 year old picking out decor for their aquarium that mum & dad is buying for them?

Or maybe a teen or adult with disability or learning problems who chose garish decor for their much loved and cherished fishy home?

When describing decor you should remember that younger children and those who may have a deficit of some sort do actually pick out decor and although it might make you shudder....to them it is awesome and they love it and they are proud of it........and they would be terribly hurt by comments like that
Color and brightness of decor/substrate can play a role in the fish's stress levels.
Also, material matters. If you choose the wring material, the fish could get cut leading to an infection

Multicoloured gravel and dollar store plants go well with glofish and fancy Bettas. I'd argue that what decorates an unplanted community tank doesn't matter a lot, because plants do matter a lot.
What you like to look at is just fashion. If a 5 year old puts aquarium safe dragons and unicorns in the tank, with bubblegum gravel - maybe in 10 years that person will be designing biotope tanks and raising their game far beyond what we're doing. You've gotta start somewhere.
Yeah, there is snobbery in what I wrote. I do see trying to emulate nature as another level in the fishkeeping game. I don't know many people (any actually) with technicolour tanks after a few years with fish, but I'm sure they're out there and having fun.

Color and brightness of decor/substrate can play a role in the fish's stress levels.
Also, material matters. If you choose the wring material, the fish could get cut leading to an infection
So by that implication...anyone using dayglo substrate/decor is a very very very bad person...even if they happen to be 5 years old and had their first ever aquarium bought by mum or dad or granny or granpa...and the child loves bright pink and had bright pink Glofish bought for them

I "get" what you are saying...but you have to place that judgement into the circumstance and context. Judging aquariums in a blanket way....."oooooh its bright pink with orange spots....oooohhhh I don't like that"....is your personal view and you are welcome to it. But your personal thoughts on decor should not be used in a blanket way in that you bypass that type of aquarium entirely and judge the owners as bad people who do not know what they are doing and that they are hurting their fish......cos in actuality....you don't know them or their fishkeeping ability.

What you are saying is a milder form of aquarium snobbery...but it is still aquarium snobbery that can be very hurtful to people who absolutely love their bright pink with orange spots aquarium and who's fish are fat and healthy....and loved.

I would still like to see a 14 entry TOTM, open to any size artificially decorated aquariums. It would fill with entries in DAYS!

Not cos that is what I have.......although a level playing field would be nice for once......but cos we have ALOT of members on this site who use artificial in their aquariums and who flippin' deserve to showcase their aquariums but are too scared or put off by the derogatory against artificial aquariums comments to do so.

It would NOT hurt this site to do one or two artificial only TOTM competitions a year...infact it would encourage more newbies to join if they felt that artificial was being treated equally, openly and respectfully....and that they were not being frowned upon or treated like 10th class fishkeepers. Artificial takes as long to set up, needs just as much work and imagination as any other aquarium. We need to be recognised...not derided.

So by that implication...anyone using dayglo substrate/decor is a very very very bad person
No... That doesn't make then bad people at all. I never said that, don't put words I didn't say in my mouth.

.even if they happen to be 5 years old and had their first ever aquarium bought by mum or dad or granny or granpa...and the child loves bright pink and had bright pink Glofish bought for them
I think if a young child wants an aquarium that is AWESOME. It's not the kid's fault for wanting that in their tank either. Their kids. They see something bright and colorful and are drawn to it.
This is where the PARENTS and GUARDIANS need to step in. They should make sure that any animals in the home are cared for properly. Make it a lesson for the kid, not just "you can have whatever you want".
I once saw a little daughter and her dad going through a pet store and the daughter kept pointing at different fish saying that she wanted that one and this one and all these different fish... No talk of a tank size or compatability. They just got whatever she wanted with no thought.
So it's the people "sponsoring" the kid that should do the research and know what to get. And if you've ever looked under one of those pink castle hides, their straight up death traps. In fact I knew someone who had a fish that went missing... They lifted up the castle and that fish was cut all over and dead cause it was trapped.
I "get" what you are saying...but you have to place that judgement into the circumstance and context. Judging aquariums in a blanket way....."oooooh its bright pink with orange spots....oooohhhh I don't like that"....is your personal view and you are welcome to it. But your personal thoughts on decor should not be used in a blanket way in that you bypass that type of aquarium entirely and judge the owners as bad people who do not know what they are doing and that they are hurting their fish......cos in actuality....you don't know them or their fishkeeping ability.
I wouldn't mind the color, if I knew it didn't affect the fish. The first aquarium I had, I used neon colored plants and BRIGHT white gravel. Not happy with that decision at all. The plants cut the betta and the colors stressed him.
I'm not in any way saying that those people don't have any fish keeping ability or that their bad people, I'm just saying they should do research into what's best for the fish. It's still an animal under their care.
What you are saying is a milder form of aquarium snobbery...but it is still aquarium snobbery that can be very hurtful to people who absolutely love their bright pink with orange spots aquarium and who's fish are fat and healthy....and loved.
If what I'm saying is hurtful to anyone, I'm really sorry, I am... I don't mean it to be hurtful. But I do hope that maybe they just research a bit more to make a more justified decision.

Don't worry, @Rocky998 . When I started, the big thing was coloured incandescent lights. I'm not sure how the red and green at xmas was for the fish. Probably not good.

I'm going to agree with you on this. I have in the past run african cichlids and the only plant I could keep alive was pothos, and frankly they like to knock down those fancy rock structures but a sturdy resin sunken ship worked out pretty well. I think I gave it away years ago. I am no longer entering tank of the month, I don't have time to decorate, I try to vote, that's participation, and I am sure everyone loved the pink artificial plant in with my german blue rams. The rams loved it. I'll use a coffee cup for a cave if a fish needs a hideout and I don't have anything else

I don't use artifical plants & I try to create a natural looking tank. I've been snobbish towards day-glo gravel/plastic plants, but @wasmewasntit makes an EXCELLENT point. He's made me rethink my beliefs.

I'm going to agree with you on this. I have in the past run african cichlids and the only plant I could keep alive was pothos, and frankly they like to knock down those fancy rock structures but a sturdy resin sunken ship worked out pretty well. I think I gave it away years ago. I am no longer entering tank of the month, I don't have time to decorate, I try to vote, that's participation, and I am sure everyone loved the pink artificial plant in with my german blue rams. The rams loved it. I'll use a coffee cup for a cave if a fish needs a hideout and I don't have anything else
THAT is where the fake plants come in handy as long as it's a good material I'd say. I've seen the tank you have set up with the shipwreck. It looks good! Better than most fake decor tanks I've seen I will say.
And I do agree with you, there should definitely be a separate contest for tanks with no plants. Cause a lot of people like the SUPER natural look. And I'm one of those people lol. But with you, you have fish that just destroy plants and its hard to keep live plants. I've said before, fake plants have their place and they do look good and can be GREAT when using the right material.
Also I like the coffee cup idea! That's really nice!

And I should also add, I don't mind the OCCASIONAL colorful plant! I think when set up right, it can look really good!
Just as long as it's not neon everywhere in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back