Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Personally I hope they don't let her off too easy. It is like 'Love Bugs' in north east Florida. They brought them in to control a plant in the waterways and didn't bother to see if they would naturally be kept under control through a predator. They have such a high acid content that nothing in the area will eat them. The acid content is so high that it will actually pit the paint on a car.

In my humble opinion we, as both individuals and governments, need to quit messing with nature.

There are people that keep fish in (gasp) 5 gallon tanks :eek:
well, the title is UNpopular
Ι keep my Betta sp. Jade pair in a 6 gallon and they're doing great. IMO there's nothing wrong with small tanks:)

OK, here's one: Angelfish need a tank of at least 100 gallons. They can survive in tanks much smaller, and possibly even live long, relatively healthy lives. But they are highly intelligent, highly social but semi-aggressive fish who need the company of their own kind (five would be the minimum group in my experience), and room to get away from each other. That means a big tank.

I keep my lone surviving netra along with a lone amano shrimp in my 5 gallon tank. I do not want to add more neon tetra as I think my water is too hard for neon tetras at 175 ppm. I originally had a group of neons along with other tank mates in a 35 gallon hex tank till it sprung a leak.

OK, here's one: Angelfish need a tank of at least 100 gallons. They can survive in tanks much smaller, and possibly even live long, relatively healthy lives.
I have two tanks with Angels now, but have had as many as 6 tanks, and the longer I keep them the more I agree with the statement above. The 75 gallon works ok for a pair, actually even smaller, but the concept of getting 6 then growing them out to get the pairs ends up with issues because eventually the juvenile grow up, and they don't all end up living in the same tank. Breeding them makes this worse.

I have had individuals that seem interested and enjoy life when housed singly. I wonder if that might be a better way to go in some cases. In particular the larger males seem OK and possibly like this type of arrangement (I am aware they are a shoaling species but there is a lot of behavioral variability with Angels)

I had an angel in a 100 gallon community tank for about 10 years, he died last winter sometime. Definitely a male, he killed his girlfriend before getting moved out to the community tank. He did alright. It was tetras, corydoras, a single moonlight gourami, and he was the showy fish.

I'll be very unpopular here. I can't stand posts that do this:

New poster: My fish has 16 arrows in its flank, an eye hanging out, a giant beehive hairdo of fungus on a wound and toothmarks all over it. Help.

Advice poster: What are your parameters?

version two.

Original poster: I haven't done a water change in sixteen weeks and my fish are dying of ammonia poisoning. Should I do a series of water changes?

Advice. order an API kit from Amazon and wait a week for it to come, then tell us your parameters.

Grrrr.

New poster: My fish has 16 arrows in its flank, an eye hanging out, a giant beehive hairdo of fungus on a wound and toothmarks all over it. Help.

version two.

Original poster: I haven't done a water change in sixteen weeks and my fish are dying of ammonia poisoning. Should I do a series of water changes?

Advice. order an API kit from Amazon and wait a week for it to come, then tell us your parameters.

Grrrr.
But seriously, what can you do for a fish that has 16 arrows in its flank, an eye hanging out, a beehive hairdo of fungus on a wound covered in tooth marks? 🤨
That would take considerable talent on the part of both the fish and the fishkeeper...🤪🤪

But seriously, what can you do for a fish that has 16 arrows in its flank, an eye hanging out, a beehive hairdo of fungus on a wound covered in tooth marks? 🤨
That would take considerable talent on the part of both the fish and the fishkeeper...🤪🤪
Nah, you take it to the old magician from The Princess Bride, and in the meantime, you either sort out how to handle the archer fish and the red tailed shark, or you do a water test and post the nitrite levels.

version two.

Grrrr.
Good point. But there's another version I see a lot, too:

OP: My fish are acting sluggish, hanging out near the surface, and having trouble swimming upright.
Advice poster: What size is your tank? What is your stocking? Plants? What are your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings?
OP:
5tsk1t.jpg

Good point. But there's another version I see a lot, too:

OP: My fish are acting sluggish, hanging out near the surface, and having trouble swimming upright.
Advice poster: What size is your tank? What is your stocking? Plants? What are your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings?
OP:
5tsk1t.jpg
Always annoys me when I see those ones... It's like: "How do you expect us to even help you then??"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back