Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm just waiting for the black helicopter so we can visit @Rocky998 if he switches to water changes every other week. Of course you can go to every other week! I do sometimes when I'm working, or travelIing.

Stress versus stimulation.
I think water changes are stimulating. If you take a tetra, stress is the arrival of a foot long Crenicichla in their habitat. It probably happens daily, at least. They are tough little creatures who have the capacity to survive things we can't imagine. They live in Jurassic Park.

So we need a measurement technique. For me as a fish breeder, I think fish live to breed and carry on. We may not want fry, but they do. It may take a perfectly set up tank to get them to breed, and that's rarely a community tank. But breeding is their motivator in life.

So what liberates them to breed? Fresh water. The day after a water change, they are more vibrant, more active and much more inclined to lay eggs. I watch as the week goes on, and in a crowded tank, they slow down and lock back into a groove. Change the water again, and they are doing courtship dances.

If I want fry, a water change is the essential tool. You could, I suppose, argue that fear of death leads to breeding, but I see nothing traumatic. You can see fear in a colourful fish. They control their colours. And after a water change, they show off. They swim into the hose current when I'm filling. As long as I stay weekly and don't allow major changes in the water quality, I'd argue they are stimulated by water changes. I like opening the window to allow fresh air in, and a good walk in the country on a day when the temperature changes is good for me. Seal me in a cell and I'll stay alive for years though.

And so, we all disagree. A water change is an enormously stimulating, positive thing in my books. @jaylach , an aquarist whose voice I respect, thinks it's stressful. Obviously, we're going to proceed according to how we see it, and never convince each other. You can put aside the chemistry numbers and watch the fish, and I see them enjoying a water change.

I'm on record as not having owned test kits for 25 years or so. I watch the behaviour and colour of my fish, and they tell me if I need to increase water changes. I work off growth rates, egg production, egg hatching, etc. To me, everything points to daily water changes being ideal, as in a moving stream in a rainforest. Since I have a life, and metered water, I compromise by doing weekly water changes. I do the opposite to @jaylach to accomplish the same goal - fish that are acting as naturally as possible in an artificial environment.

I wonder who is right?
Don't get me wrong as I'll do water changes especially in a smaller tank. I just don't thing doing weekly is necessary. Nor do I think 50% or more of a change is needed especially in a heavily planted tank. LOL! Mine is definitely heavily planted as I figured that I'd probably kill half of the things but they all seem to be thriving. ;)

That fits the thread then! :)
I think I might get it, is it the way they move though the water? I can see someone finding that creepy. Or the wide side profile, very thin straight on thing?
Last night I was doing a head count of my fish, and I couldn't find one of my angelfish...I swear multiple minutes went by when I was starting to panic. Where could it be?? It wasn't floating at the top, it's too big to be hidden....then suddenly it turned. It was directly in front of me the entire time. Damn skinny body freaks! Or maybe I need glasses...

Quality silk plants can look very real
Yes! They absolutely can! If someone is doing a non live planted tank, silk is always the best way to go. Its soft, usually durable, and the fish will enjoy it as a hide out. I still like live ones best though. Cause its the REAL thing 😅

My winning tank for Jan 2019 TOTM has a large silk plant in the background. I needed a tall plant in the background and had trouble growing tall plants. So I bought a very tall quality silk plant to give the tank the look I was going for. The anubias and other plants are real.

Fisherman's Paradise

they don't have to give a reason, this thread is about people's opinions.
I know they don't HAVE to but it would be nice for an explanation here instead of "I like fake plants instead of real ones" and then saying nothing else...
It leaves us confused then 😅
We want to know whyyyy

the only issue with silk plants is that they eventually fade..might take a couple of years but they do fade and also attract algae.

the only issue with silk plants is that they eventually fade..might take a couple of years but they do fade and also attract algae.
Ah ok... Yah that makes sense... Once that one fades will you replace it? Maybe try a real plant?

You still didn't give any reasons... I'm still really wondering why you think that...
The silk plants go better with the plastic fish
61SpkIMXYhL._AC_SX679_[1].jpg

Nowt wrong with artificial plants.

They are 500% better than the ones available 20+ years ago that were so rigid they attacked the fishkeeper, let alone the fish

The cheaper artificials are still in dire need of a good going over with a nail file to get all the knobbly bits off but if on a very tight budget...such as bank of mum & dad....there is absolutely nothing wrong with using artificial plants

I don't like silk plants but that is just my own personal preferences. I am happy to pay that bit extra for silicone plants that are soft and flow about in the water like the real thing...and can be easily whipped out and given a clean up every so often

I am sorry but the "must be real plant" purists bug me no end....

30+ years ago there was a real snobbery about the type of fish that people kept.....now its an anti artificial plant snobbery

No-one has the right to look down their noses at aquariums with artificial plants.....even those neon ones...cos if that is what people want and like, who the heck is anyone else to judge them?

Next water change all the live plants in my aquariums are going to be binned....I simply hate them, they are messy, they clog up the filters and generally look scruffy.

Give me Oase/Superfish silicone plants any day.......might not be as posh as live plants but my fish are healthy enough to breed like rabbits with them and not have any illness breakouts with them....or damned pesky snails

The anti artificial snobbery has zero place in fishkeeping.....end of story.

Nowt wrong with artificial plants.

They are 500% better than the ones available 20+ years ago that were so rigid they attacked the fishkeeper, let alone the fish

The cheaper artificials are still in dire need of a good going over with a nail file to get all the knobbly bits off but if on a very tight budget...such as bank of mum & dad....there is absolutely nothing wrong with using artificial plants

I don't like silk plants but that is just my own personal preferences. I am happy to pay that bit extra for silicone plants that are soft and flow about in the water like the real thing...and can be easily whipped out and given a clean up every so often

I am sorry but the "must be real plant" purists bug me no end....

30+ years ago there was a real snobbery about the type of fish that people kept.....now its an anti artificial plant snobbery

No-one has the right to look down their noses at aquariums with artificial plants.....even those neon ones...cos if that is what people want and like, who the heck is anyone else to judge them?

Next water change all the live plants in my aquariums are going to be binned....I simply hate them, they are messy, they clog up the filters and generally look scruffy.

Give me Oase/Superfish silicone plants any day.......might not be as posh as live plants but my fish are healthy enough to breed like rabbits with them and not have any illness breakouts with them....or damned pesky snails

The anti artificial snobbery has zero place in fishkeeping.....end of story.
I'm totally ok with people using fake plants... Although I don't like it when people use those neon colored ones cause I think it may stress fish.
But what I really don't understand is a when someone says its better than the real thing... That's like saying a robot dog is better than the real thing. Sure there are pros and cons of each one but the real thing is always better.
The benefits of real plants far outweigh anything fake ones have.

But again, I'm totally fine if people use fake plants. Its understandable if someone doesn't want to use real plants.

This is a thread for drive by opinionating...

Why is always good to know, but here we'll have to guess. I'm an absolute natural fish tank snob, but I confess that plastic topiary balls are sometimes found in my tanks. They are painfully spiked, but hollow, and I have used them with very cannibalistic aggressive livebearers - uncommon ones like Brachyrhaphis. The fry head inside and the adults avoid the spikiness. It was the only way I could save fry...

My winning tank for Jan 2019 TOTM has a large silk plant in the background. I needed a tall plant in the background and had trouble growing tall plants. So I bought a very tall quality silk plant to give the tank the look I was going for. The anubias and other plants are real.

Fisherman's Paradise
When I won TOTM, I had two fake plants in the background:
5AE01D5A-0CC6-4E5B-9D82-9A5DB8C802EA.png

Nothing wrong with fake plants. Now if you have sharp plastic plants in with a fancy finned betta, then there could potentially be a problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back