Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Duckweed is awful. Tell me if you agree or not. :devil:
I don't agree with you.

Duckweed is a wonderful plant if you keep rainbowfish or other types of vegetarian fishes. It grows rapidly and uses heaps of nutrients. Fish eat it. The only issue is people complaining it interferes with their filters. Adjust your filter outlet.

The only issue is people complaining it interferes with their filters. Adjust your filter outlet.
Nah, that's not the only issue with it. I agree that it's not a horrible plant, that it's good for veggie eating fish etc, and I have no problem with it in a pond. But having had it in my aquariums, I'm a duckweed hater too. If someone likes it, no worries! But I'll never intentionally have it in any of my tanks again. I have some at the moment, that came with the psuedomugli and moss I was given, but I'm working to eradicate it again. Wish me luck! ;)

My main issue with it is how hard it is to get rid of it, once you have it. It's earned the nickname of "the herpes of the hobby". I didn't have an issue with it clogging filters, but when doing a water change it feels horrible getting all over your arm, it gets blown down into the tank either by the filter or when adding fresh water, or when doing anything to the tank really. Then it clings to a sponge filter or to the other plants in a heavily planted tank like mine, and makes a mess. It gets all over your fish nets, syphons and buckets. It just gets everywhere.

I regretted adding it almost immediately, but it took a good eight months of constantly skimming it off the surface whenever I did tank maintenance, and it hid, since it had been blown everywhere and got on all my tank equipment. It would hide under and within the other, less annoying floating plants, under the lip of the tank trim, in the plants lower in the tank, and using a net or something even with the duckweed all dried out and dead looking, would bring it back. It seems to be able to come back with a vengeance even from a curled up, dehydrated and dead looking leaf. I was removing my amazon frogbit from the surface and rinsing it out in buckets of clean water, trying to remove every trace of duckweed. It's a pain in the butt!!

I even soaked some tank equipment in a bleach solution in a bucket outside once. Life distracted me and I ended up leaving the bucket there for a few days, and returned to find several bits of duckweed happily growing in the bleach water!! It's impossible to get rid of or kill.

Unpopular opinion of mine - clown loaches are over-rated. Fite me.

Even leaving aside how massive they get and how people rarely keep enough of them for a proper group size, and in a large enough tank, I just think that while they have striking colouration that grabs attention, they're not as nice as many of the other, much more reasonably sized botia.

Unpopular opinion of mine - clown loaches are over-rated. Fite me.

Even leaving aside how massive they get and how people rarely keep enough of them for a proper group size, and in a large enough tank, I just think that while they have striking colouration that grabs attention, they're not as nice as many of the other, much more reasonably sized botia.
I can agree with that even though I've never kept them 😅

I can agree with that even though I've never kept them 😅
You don't have to have kept a fish to have an opinion on it! In regards to some issues, yep, someone who's never kept one probably can't help, but in general terms, you can form opinions on a fish without having kept it!

Like, without keeping a red-tailed catfish or common pleco, you can have the opinion that they shouldn't generally be sold in the hobby - certainly not stocked in stores, only ordered in for a keeper who has the right sized pond set up for an adult sized fish!

You don't have to have kept a fish to have an opinion on it! In regards to some issues, yep, someone who's never kept one probably can't help, but in general terms, you can form opinions on a fish without having kept it!

Like, without keeping a red-tailed catfish or common pleco, you can have the opinion that they shouldn't generally be sold in the hobby - certainly not stocked in stores, only ordered in for a keeper who has the right sized pond set up for an adult sized fish!
Well in thaaaaat case

I hate guppies. I really hate them. Along with mollies and platies. Oh, and let's not forget goldfish.
I think it's because their so common and the first three breed so much that their just annoying. I mostly avoid even looking at them at pet stores 🤣
Sorry if it's an insult to anyone who keeps them. They are beautiful fish... Just not for me at all 😅

Well in thaaaaat case

I hate guppies. I really hate them. Along with mollies and platies. Oh, and let's not forget goldfish.
I think it's because their so common and the first three breed so much that their just annoying. I mostly avoid even looking at them at pet stores 🤣
Sorry if it's an insult to anyone who keeps them. They are beautiful fish... Just not for me at all 😅
haha! I like them, but can also agree that they can be annoying! And plenty of people don't want to keep them because they're seen as boring beginner fish and not worth the bother, so you're far from alone.

Don't be sorry either! This is a thread for unpopular opinions after all! ;) :lol:

Well in thaaaaat case

@emeraldking

haha! I like them, but can also agree that they can be annoying! And plenty of people don't want to keep them because they're seen as boring beginner fish and not worth the bother, so you're far from alone.

Don't be sorry either! This is a thread for unpopular opinions after all! ;) :lol:
Yes. I agree with all that going on in your paragraph 😅

Aquariums don't need a filter.

Reason 1 you have a heavily live planted aquarium.
Reason 2 you have a really really really big aquarium and very very very little fish.
Reason 3 your fish require fast moving water.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back