Unhealthy Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BadBadger

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, some of my plants look fine and some dont. Some pics are tad blurry, sorry.

Amazon Swords x2
DSCF3540.jpg

? x1. Top leaves are brown
DSCF3548.jpg

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis x3. gone slightly brown
DSCF3551.jpg

? x1
DSCF3549.jpg

? x2
DSCF3541.jpg

Its only the grass (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) and the browny coloured one which im concerned about, the others look fine IMO but tell me what ya think. I've been dealing with the same guy at Maidenheads for the last 4 weeks, who told me all these plants would be suitible for my setup (180l, sand subsrate and T8 lighting). He also recomended i buy JBL Ferrorpol to feed them once a week, which i have been doing.
Also, i lost a few of the info cards, so if anyone could ID them i would greatly appreciate it. I've put a question mark above the ones i dont know (Most of them :lol:)

Cheers

EDIT: Forogt to put pics up.... Shhhh, im tired :shout:

can't see your pics. would be interested to compare your browny coloured plants with mine. i also got my plants from maindenheads who said they would all be good for a starter tank.

Lack of nutrients.
You have roughly 1.2WPG.
Increase the micro nutrient dosing. Dose 3 times a week.
Just to be safe, I'd pop a few Tropica Capsulesunder each plant. Should supply them with macro and micro nutrients.
Keep up the weekly water changes.

Cheers mate. Will go to maidenheads to try and get some. Well im using 65ml weekly as thats what it recomends for 180l, so i'll triple that
Been thinking about one of thos little yeast CO[sub]2[/sub] systems. Only for 80l tanks, but do you think it will make a difference?
Also, does it matter where i aim the filter? I normally have it pointing up a little bit where it didn'yt disturb the plants. Whereas now i've shot it across the tank so the plants sway a little bit. Make any difference?

Cheers

JBL Ferrorpol isn't a bad fert, but it isn't very cost effective. I would go for something like Flourish (seachem) if your not gonna use macro ferts. Also, is that you tank in you sig? if so, you need to point that filter outlet towards the end of the tank, to ensure ferts get around the entire tank, plants don't mind being disturbed, in fact theres something quite relaxing about plants waving in the water.

As for the DIY stuff, it won't make any difference and you may get some algae due to the unstableness of the c02, if your not gonna go down the pressurised route, then you need to be dosing some Easycarbo or Flourish excel.

Yeah thats the tank. Its disturbing the anubias in the left corner so should be spreading the ferts.
Ok well i'll scrap the co2 for now as pressurised is a little bit out of my price range.
Easycarbo? you've lost me :shout:
I think i might find a decent book. Any recomendations?

Cheers

Easycarbo or Flourish excel is a source of liquid carbon, which is dosed daily and aids plant growth. As for books, i wouldn't bother, you have the best book right in front of you. There is some good scapes on here and good ones UKAPS.

So if i use the Ferropol for iron and minerals, Easycarbo or Flourish for CO[sub]2[/sub] and regular water changes i should have some nice healthy plants?

So if i use the Ferropol for iron and minerals, Easycarbo or Flourish for CO[sub]2[/sub] and regular water changes i should have some nice healthy plants?

Remember, Flourish Excel. Normal Flourish is a trace element. And it's not providing CO2, it's providing carbon in the form of glutaraldehyde.

If you did dose liquid carbon then you might also have to dose macro nutrients because carbon addition increases the plant's demand for macro nutrients (NPK).

I'd be dosing Easycarbo and Tropica Plant Nutrition+ daily, personally.

If you wanted minimal work then block out the light from one tube by placing a reflector on the underside of the bulb so that the light doesnt enter the tank. You've then effectively only got one 30W light over the tank. That would give slow growth which means less nutrients and less CO2 is needed. Change a bucket of water everyday and dose some trace elements, and you're done.

Remember, Flourish Excel. Normal Flourish is a trace element. And it's not providing CO2, it's providing carbon in the form of glutaraldehyde.

If you did dose liquid carbon then you might also have to dose macro nutrients because carbon addition increases the plant's demand for macro nutrients (NPK).

I'd be dosing Easycarbo and Tropica Plant Nutrition+ daily, personally.

If you wanted minimal work then block out the light from one tube by placing a reflector on the underside of the bulb so that the light doesnt enter the tank. You've then effectively only got one 30W light over the tank. That would give slow growth which means less nutrients and less CO2 is needed. Change a bucket of water everyday and dose some trace elements, and you're done.

Brilliant mate. I'll get to a few shops tomorrow and see if i can get them. If not, will get them online.
Will try in without blocking the light for a week or two to see if i can keep up with it.

Appreciate everyones help :good:

Half day at work so i picked up some easy carbo. Had to order the tropica plant nutrition online.
Did a quick water change (15l), checked the stats (Ammonia: trace, Nitrate: 30ppm) and then added the easycarbo (3.5ml). Was going to start a course of melafix for one of my angels but it says "Remove activated carbon"? Guessing this will be a problem?

Cheers

EDIT: Also added some more ferropol as suggested. Should i stop with the ferropol once i have the tropica plant nutrition?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back