UK Fish Store Directory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My 4 LFS that i have visited while in my new home

The Goldfish Bowl - Oxford
Variety: 9 - LOADS OF TANKS, not a lot of oddballs though,dry goods selection good too
Quality:9 - Never seen a dead fish in there in the 3 or 4 visits ive made, reason i gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is that some of the sale tanks are heaving with fish (prob delivery day)
Staff:9 - Top class aswell, even though one of the partners is grumpy

Aquahouse - Witney
Variety: 5 - Mostly common run of the mill fish such as danios,guppies etc (not been to marine section) but they did have a tank full of those catfish that grow to over a metre long for sale to the public...
Quality: 5 - Dead fish here and there, some had been there a long time, its hit and miss and i wouldnt buy from there again (i took a chance on some rummynoses and its paid off so i "saved" them
Staff: 7 - The guy knows some stuff, but nothing about plants...and the fact he can leave all those dead fish there cant be good for the image of the shop or the rest of the stock in the tanks

Maidenhead aquatics - swindon central
Variety: 8 -Great selection including dry goods
Quality: 10 - Spot on,nothing sick or dead
Staff: 8 - The 2 questions i asked were answered fine, cant say any more really

Pets at home - Abingdon
Variety: 4 - Stock changes frequently so they do get the occasional rarer fish in but danios etc are always present
Quality: 8 - Fantastic for a pets at home, only the tiger barb tank had a problem (couple with a swim bladder issue) but every other tank and every time ive been there has been spot on
Staff:8 - The "fish woman" really knows her stuff and obviously takes pride in looking after the fish prior to sale unlike some other chain stores who care as much for the fish as they do for the stuff on the shelves

Then there is..

In2pets - Witney

Unless your in emergency need of dry goods and live on this same street then id just steer clear,really
Variety: 2 - Only the very basics really
Quality:1 - LOADS of dead fish stuck to filter inlets, and as you dont wanna buy a fish from a tank containing dead fish then all these tanks are morgues
Staff:1 - They let is get like this???!!!

Pets at home
Lincoln, lincolnshire
Variety of fish: 7 (could have a bigger selection)
Staff knowledge: 10 (they might not have known answer to every qu i asked but they were very helpful and were prepared to find someone who did)
Cleanliness and quality: 10 (ive always been perfectly happy)

Maidenhead aquatics
Whisby
As stated at beginning of post, all fish ive had from them have died, but they do have a huge selection and species ive never seen anywhere before.

few for Yorlshire

Living Death.... sorry world
armley, leeds, yorkshire

paws for thought (think that's what it's called!)
york rd, leeds, yorkshire

just found this one but first impressions are good
Variety - 8 had some nice fancy plecs which always impresses me! had a small but nice looking marine section, had flame angels which are just my favourite fish ever so that kept me smiling!
Quality - 8 we went in first thing in the morning (literally got there 5 mins before they opened so waited around to be let in when they were opening up) and there were a couple of dead fish in some tanks... but the bloke there was going roudn taking water samples from tanks to do tests and all dead fish were removed and tanks looking good when we went back a couple of hrs later that day
Service - 10 excellent, I was really impressed with the bloke there, they had a tank labeled as having a gold nugget plec but I couldn't see it so asked if it had been sold, he said yes it had but said if you like fancy plecs have a look at these and showed me some other really nice ones, ended up getting a lovely big fat royal for �30. Fair enough he was trying to get a sale but he did seem to know what he was on about and I asked about it's suitability with tank mates/sizes etc and he answered honestly.

I'll definately be going back there next week when my next tank needs stocking, will update my listings when I've been a few times and got a better idea.

:angry: I went Paws for Thought and they were selling 'Disco Fish' that were obviously dyed. I'll never go back.

On a lighter note, The Living World is now well and truly shut down!!! :nod:

Hi aichvee

I know it is a rather old post (2007) though I just stumbled on your comment about us stocking disco fish and thought "WHAT?! We wouldn't ever stock disco fish!" so I checked with the shop and sure enough our supplier sent us some in error in 2007 so there were some in our tanks... briefly!

Just wanted to clear that up! Hope it hasn't left a lasting negative impression!

Regards
Mike

Tachbrook Tropicals, London Victoria

Variety: 5, okay selection in there, nothing amazing though.

Staff Knowledge: 1: I didn't speak to the people in there much cother than to find out they are rude. I did ask about using medicines while cycling, and he didn't know what cycling mean't (fair enough, terms differ). I explained that cycling was the term for getting the nitrogen cycle going on the internet and that led to a rant about how stupid the internet was. I then asked for the price of a rock, and he said he would have to weigh it. I asked for a rough estimate, £5? £10? £100? and he refused to answer saying he had no idea. If you can't tell me whether it is closer to £1 or £100 I don't really care anymore. Supposedly a closing down sale on as well but everything I looked at was full price.

Cleanliness/ Quality: 1: Place looks like it closed down years ago, faded, dirty and unkempt. Cardboard on the floor. Smells bad and I wouldn't buy anything apart from dry goods there. No dead fish, but given the general air I wouldn't buy.

haven't read the whole thread but none on the first page for SOUTHAMPTON so thought I would say Tropiquari in Shirley is a great shop, on my first visit the old chap that owns the shop told us if there is anything we want it can be ordered in and in the past they have sent boats out specifically for a particular fish at the cost of £4000 but the customer was very happy they had there fish (I suspect a slight exaggeration on the price)

also Mike and Daves is a great fish shop in Portswood Southampton, on first impressions it looks closed but he has lovely fish in there, tropical and coldwater but no salties im afraid. some very pretty and unusual fish in there even a blue lobster and some lovely bettas and knife fish! cheap tanks too!

Noticed the south are missing a few.

Dorset (south or south west)

Southern Aquatics, Poole
Variety - 7
Quality - 3
Service - 4

Yeah I'd say the service in Poole isn't even worth a 4! What a bunch of grumpy old b******s!

Shame as I have had nothing but great service there. Knowledgeable staff, more than willing to spend time with you - bloody cheap too! Better for equipment than fish tbh. Maybe I have been lucky - bought tank from there and loads of equipment when I'm passing

I tend to use Green Man Aquatics at John Brown Garden Centre, Three Legged Cross, Dorset - purely because they are local and it's easier to take the dead fish back there! :hey:

Variety - 7
Quality - 6
Service - varies from 3 - 10 depends on who you get! No explanation or refund after pleco died after 10 days despite ok water stats... just my opinion

UK store Surrey.

I have just visited Maidenhead Aquatics Morden

I was seriously impressed with this store and annoyed with myself for not discovering it earlier I would recommend it to anyone in the local area :good:

Variety:9 If only I had a couple more tanks :lol:

Yes its a high score but for my area they have a huge amount of different species than I have experienced in my other 4 local stores.

Quality:9 I could not fault them in anyway but will reserve 10 only because I think there is room for perfection.

Service:9 Excellent knowledge and good customer service :good:

Address
Morden Hall Garden Centre
Morden Hall Rd Morden
Surrey SM4 5JG

Telephone no: 0208 646 106

Regards onebto

Just discovered I have a Maidenhead Aquatics very close to me (Trowell, Nottinghamshire). I have got to say that this shop is far superior to some of the rubbish I have close to me

Variety 9 - A huge range of all different types of fish. Some rare tropical fish and they must have had around 150 tanks in total full of fish. Fish arranged by category which was useful.

Quality 8 - Quality generally excellent, although because there were so many tanks some looked a little unclean. Only spotted 1 or 2 dead fish out of 1000's.

Service 9 - The member of staff that helped me was excellent and his knowledge was very good. He actually approached me and started telling me information about the fish I was looking at. Every question was answered, and nearly everything I was told tallied up with my limited knowledge of tropical fish.

The store is located within Trowell Garden Centre. I also believe there is a store in Derby and Nottingham, though I haven't been to these. I definately recommend going as they have some excellent display tanks, particularly the cichlid and rainbow fish tanks.

Really glad to see this thread still going!

Has anyone visited the new site for Real Reefs, just outside Cheltenham, Gloucestershire? The owner, Phil has moved to a bigger premises and has some fantastic stock (Marine Only).. His advice is also second to none.

Ben

maidenhead aquatics @ iver ,bourne end + chipperfield

variety 9
quality 8
service 9
i grouped them all together for ease much the same fish prices vary but no moro than £2 for neon tetra always less :hyper: staff v knowlegable will ask lots of questions

North Yorkshire

Cascade Garden & Aquatic Centre
Ripon Road
Bishop Monkton
Harrogate
Hg3 3qd
Tel: 01765 677456
Variety - 10 great selection of japanese and Israeli Koi, Tropical Fish, Marines
Quality - 10 (All clean, not seen a dead fish)
Service - 10 (Family Run, very helpful)
Tropical Fish Marine Fish Koi

The previous comment was obviously an advertisement? 10/10/10 WOW! your keen.

anywho...

Pier Aquatics in Wigan, England (Greater Manchester)

Variety - 9/10 Superb in there, ranging from Coldwater to Tropical & an Impressive selection of Marine fish. Also in there are some Huge Softshells, as well as Plecos up to like 3/4 foot. Aswell as equipment including tanks, food, accesories ETC.

Cleanliness & Quality - 6/10 The shop itself is not the cleanest, but the fish are in exceptional health. I've never had any deaths relating to the shop. Quality of the fish and so are second to none. But like i said the shop is not the cleanest.

Friendlyness and Knowledge - 7/10 The staff are pretty friendly and there is are always plenty of staff on hand to help. They handle the fish very carefully. Every fishkeeper has different ideas, but the knowledge of Pier Aquatics is very good.

Pier Aquatics Website
The website is not always updated, but is pretty good none the less.

That was as honest as i could be :good:

James

Wales- WREXHAM

The Green Machine,
Unit 1a,
Felin Puleston Industrial Estate,
Ruabon Road,
Wrexham,
LL13 7RF

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/Aquatics/

Variety- 9/10 For tropical fish species. They don't sell marine fish. but they also sell a variety of reptails. Stunning selection of all different types of fish, all in gorgeous tanks. Also an amazing plant, rocks and substrate selection.

Cleanliness & Quality- 10/10 The most professional aquatics shop I have ever seen- every single tank was in pristine condition, with lots of plant coverage for fish to hide in. No dead or ill fish, everything looked very healthy and very colourful. Some of the tank set ups were mind blowing! You can really tell that they know what they're doing.

Friendlyness and Knowledge- 8/10 Didn't get the chance to ask much about the fish, but there were several staff available on hand, and the guy I talked to was very friendly and very helpful.

Please post ANY fish shops local to you, state what county you live in and 3 ratings for each shop. One for Variety/Selection, One for Cleanliness and quality and
One for Staff friendlyness and knowledge.

Tyne Valley Aquatics - Mitford; near Newcastle upon Tyne
Cleanliness - 8
Quality - 9 (I've seen one dead fish in there once)
Friendliness and knowlege = 10+ (they are very clued up and don't mind phone calls asking for advice)

World of Water - Watford

Tel: 01923270707

Variety – 8 (nice mix of community fish, both marine and freshwater, with a few interesting oddballs)
Quality – 8 (Generally very clean tanks, only a couple of deads in a tank being quarantined)
Service – 7(Most staff very helpful, theres always someone who can help you if another can't)

New management in Tropical Fish very knowledgable on both tropicals and marines, has some interesting cories and plecs in that you only seem to see in pfk

coldwater very good value, a few part-timers a bit lacking on some area's of knowledge but make up for it on helpfulness

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back