Uk breeders pleeeeeese

fogonthetay

Reaction score
hello, I am scottish and would love to start breeding bettas, is there anyone in britain here?

There are a few of us about. lol
What you need to know?
Oh yeah welcome to the nut house. it'd be a good idea to introduce yourself to the others(newbie section) if you haven't already done it.
I used to breed but am setting a fish hut up so haven't had the time.

Hello!! joy joy joy!! :D every thing I have found on the web is american!
I have a lovely pet shop mutt at the moment but would really like to breed some lovely half moons etc.I can't seem to find any in the local pet shops, I know someone must be breeding in my area as there is never any shortage of bettas but none of the type Im after, :what:
how many bettas have you at the moment?

at the mo I've 3 at home, 8 at the girlfriends and 6 in the fish hut.
Hate to say this but Davy (the boss,will be offended. This predominately a UK website(he's from Alloa I'm Glasgow, Tatya's Perth, Mac' is from inverness etc.) we do have a few foriegn members coming from New zealand, Finland, Canada, south africa and a few other places. so we're an international comunitty. if you want to find out where someones from they should have it posted bellow there name.
Most of the local breeders are usuing standard shop fish to start with. the ones that have anything decent don't seem to want to part with them for less than an arm and a leg.
I've a mate thats breeding some crown tails at the mo but they won't be ready for a while. he's trying to get them as pure as he can first. It may be an idea to ask your lfs if they can get any fish you want in. either that it's try the online auctions. I'll have a hunt about and see who's got what for sale in the meantime though.

Have a look at the main site. The links at the very top of the page. www.tropical aquariums. co.uk

oooops. sorry didn't read your post right. Yes most of the stuff on the web is American. All the betta breders in the UK I know. don't have websites. So it aint easy to find them. It might be an idea to join a local aquarist society.that way you find out who's doing what in your area. there are also auctions and meets happeing every so often. There's a thread about some dates in general or tropical chat somewhere. Where are you from. I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks. Im in Dundee just now.I don't know much about genetics but if I breed two 'mutts' will I possibly get some 'nice' fish? I assume mutts are sort of undesirables :) from a spawning? I was being led to belive I'd have to import from abroad!!!

Dundee. I think i may know of someone in your area. leave it with me for a bit.

As for the shop ones. most come from farms that mass breed them so you get a lot of impurities in them like different colour variations. most breeders want to get as oniriginal a fish as possible and use selective breeding to do this. a few are caught from the wild but you never know what they are unless you can test dna and stuff.
as for importing from abroad it'd be expensive unless you want a lot of fish and it's impractical. as you know you only seem to see one type of betta in the uk which is a pain. anything else is "special order" the lfs may get the fish from a chap three doors down but as you don't know this they lead you to believe it was hard work trying to find it and charge you aprropriatley. where as if you new where to go, the breeder would get the same amount of cash or a bit more and you'd save some and the lfs wouldn't get a penny. Needless to say thats why it's hard to find anyone that breeds deltas'crowns,moons and halfmoons etc. they are a closely guarded secret.
It may be an Idea to send the IBC an email asking for a list of UK members/chapters/breeders. ;)

No prob's. you may want to have a look at a few auction sites as well. they should give you an idea of whats available, the price and you may get lucky and find a uk breeder.
bettabids

here's another to look at bubblenest

some of the best fish I've seen come from a Louisianna breeder but he doesn't ship outside the US. maybe an idea to make friends with my "Evil Twin sister" Rose. lol

I'm gonna need a bib soon-all the drooling Im doing over GORGEOUS fish.mmmm :love:
I've got a better idea of what Im after now ta!

no prob's. I'll get that breeders name to you as soon as. not sure what his latest project is may be crown tails, he was on about breeding some of then a while ago.

thank you soooo much! I really appreciate your effort, :thumbs: I was sitting tonight feeling really sad that I could't find any really nice fish, I've cheered up no end now
:D THANKS

Glad to have helped. Have a look at some of the other forums threads here as no doubt somewhere will be some info you'll need at some point or the other. besides a lot of fun's to be had in certain topics. ;)

Hey there welcome to our nut house. Glad you could join us.

Ta mac! I'll get on to them and see whats about.
I now have a grand plan now for a big warm walk in cupboard I have...shelves etc dada! fish room!now have to persuade boyfreind :grin: :thumbs: we'll see who wins :sly:

Most reactions

Back