Hello!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

tiredninja750

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been getting back into the hobby for the past year, all has been going well apart from the odd roadbump.
I currently a 250ltr tank (4 footer) with a couple of silver dollars, black ghost knife fish and a couple of congo tetras.
I know they will out grow this tank, and I plan to grow with them.
I do have a few questions, my first one is has anyone had any experience putting air fix type models in the tank. I would love a battle of Britain type set up, but dont want to damage the fish, i thought maybe soak the buggery out of the finished models for a few weeks before adding them... however experience and knowledge is required!
Looking forward to interacting to you all!
Robster.

Welcome! We don't get many tired ninjas around here.

Sounds like you're on the right track growing with your fish. Model planes? I believe that's come up before. You could build the models with super glue (cyanoacrylate), which is fish-safe. Normal model cement is not. The big unknowns are the plastic, the decals, and the paint. Some plastics are fish safe, but others will leach chemicals into your water. Also, you want to be sure and use paint that is fish-safe.

I have read on various other forums that model airplane plastic is fish safe. I'm not sure I believe it. If you do it, don't use the decals (the glue is water-soluable), and use Krylon fusion or similar fish-safe paint, and let it cure for several days. Also be aware that plastic models will tend to float, so you'll have to figure a way to anchor it down. Maybe fill it with sand before you glue on the final piece?

A shot-up Spitfire or ME 109 would look pretty cool, especially in an English Channel biotope. :) Personally, I'd be afraid to try it.

Hello Both,
Thanks for the welcome!

I have loads of questions, which once ive made myself accustomed to the forum I will post in the relevant sections.

Thats what I worried about, I would be gutted to lose any fish through doing it... hmmm.
Shame there is no way of telling with testing is these are leaching any bad chemicals isnt it...

Yeah, I have nearly finished an fw190 in crashed state that i thought would be cool.

Well, welcome to TFF... :hi:
All of your questions can be posted in the right sections on this forum. And a lot of willing members to help you out.

Most reactions

Back