How to sink driftwood??

SushiRollsAquabuds

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I recently got a cool peace of driftwood. I am currently letting it sit on water for a week or two, but there seems to be a bit of a problem. It won’t sink!

If anyone has tips on how to sink woods please let me know.

(I am not a big fan of using glue on tanks , so I would not use it in this case)

Time is best ( most natural ) but that can take a long time, depending on the type and condition of the wood weighing it down can speed things up… my last piece, that wouldn’t sink in my time frame, I have some lead free solder I wrapped around a piece of it on the bottom… you could position it, and set a big rock on it for a month or so…

Oh my, showing my age here...
We used to take driftwood and attach it to slate. Drill a hole in the middle of the slate and insert a stainless steel screw up into the driftwood. Cover the slate with substrate and away you go! Before you do this, I am assuming your driftwood is cured...

I zip-tied small rocks to the sticks in one of my tanks. They were too small and skinny to do any sort of drilling/attaching to slate, so I had to improvise. After a month or two (don't remember exactly how long), I cut away the zip ties and nothing floated. Depending on the piece of wood, it may take longer or shorter than that.

Put rocks on it to push it underwater. Tie rocks to it with string or fishing line. As others have mentioned, you just have to wait.

I know this may not be much help for your present situation but I always have several pieces if of driftwood laying about ready for each new tank I build, I always have them soaking so they are ready to go at a moments notice.
For your immediate problem I would say the best advice I have heard here is to weigh it down in your tank with rocks or something till it can stay submerged by its self.

I select a rock our two from the field smaller than the wood then whittle an opening that is slightly smaller than the rock and then tap the stone securely in place. Looks natural and I enjoy working the wood.

Hello Everyone!

I recently got a cool peace of driftwood. I am currently letting it sit on water for a week or two, but there seems to be a bit of a problem. It won’t sink!

If anyone has tips on how to sink woods please let me know.

(I am not a big fan of using glue on tanks , so I would not use it in this case)
I have soaked wood for six months after boiling it for hours numberous times, and it remained way too buoyant without attaching large rocks. Some woods are just less optimal for aquarium decor.

So I just had 4 pieces of "holy" (wood with holes) that I wanted to use and spent 2 hours soaking it in hot water. 2 of the 4 sank. Left the other 2 over night and they are now sinking.

Sis had a huge piece she bought for a 120 gallon. It was in the tank for over 6 months and wouldn't sink. We drilled assorted holes in the denser parts but still didn't work. She even silicone it to the back of the tank but still had to weigh it down with rocks.

I loved when I bought DW and it just sank.
With so many varieties of wood available now you have to work with it to get it to work.

Make it simple I jus got to pieces of slate attached it to the wood with a black plastic tye, put the slate down in substrate, after a month I took the slate off, and the bog wood stayed sunk by itself.

Most reactions

Back