How to estimate max load of secondhand solid wood desk?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corneliusmom

Reaction score
Hello! I am getting this vintage desk pictured below for my current betta 10 gal. I am planning on getting a 5 gal, but have been pondering just biting the bullet and getting another 10. I'm sure the desk would be fine with 15 gals total but not sure about 20. It's 43" long, 22" wide and solid wood. In your experience, how much can these typically hold?

ohx70t09btgc1.jpeg

Hello! I am getting this vintage desk pictured below for my current betta 10 gal. I am planning on getting a 5 gal, but have been pondering just biting the bullet and getting another 10. I'm sure the desk would be fine with 15 gals total but not sure about 20. It's 43" long, 22" wide and solid wood. In your experience, how much can these typically hold?

View attachment 336408
Twenty gallons of water weighs about 168 pounds. un the wood is rotted, I think it will take it.

Sit on the table and if it sags, then you are more than its safe recommended weight. Having said that, if it was made more than 40 years ago, and isn't made of chipboard or MDF particle board), it should hold a couple of 10 gallon tanks easily (one on each end).

Don't waste your time on 5 gallon tanks, they are too small. Get another 10 gallon tank or a 20 high or something else. In my book, if my buckets hold more water than the tank, then the tank isn't worth having. I have 10 and 20 litre (5 gallon) buckets and won't waste my time with any tank smaller than 10 gallons.

Sit on the table and if it sags, then you are more than its safe recommended weight. Having said that, if it was made more than 40 years ago, and isn't made of chipboard or MDF particle board), it should hold a couple of 10 gallon tanks easily (one on each end).

Don't waste your time on 5 gallon tanks, they are too small. Get another 10 gallon tank or a 20 high or something else. In my book, if my buckets hold more water than the tank, then the tank isn't worth having. I have 10 and 20 litre (5 gallon) buckets and won't waste my time with any tank smaller than 10 gallons.
I weigh like 115 lbs 🤭 That's a good tip though, I'll have my friend sit on it with me.

I am more bold, so I do not sit on the furniture to test it, I stand on it. I only weigh about 145 pounds. But, if I stand on the surface and then move around it, I am putting a lot of psi on that spot. All of my weight is on one or both of my feet. However, the weight of a tank is spread around the bottom frame or the entire bottom glass for a rimless tank.

So, I know that of the furniture supports me, it should be able support a greater total weight spread out. However, there is a limit to the max. weight that would be safe. A 20 gal tanks empty weighs 25 pounds, a 20L weighs the same. This is according to Aqueon (which used to be All-Glass)

I have a dresser and a credenze both made or particle board covered in melamine. The credenza has held a 20L and then a 29 for decades. On 1/2 of the drrsser when I need an extra tank I set up a 20 gal. But I have large piece of 1/4 inch thick glass I put under the tank, The glass adds about 15 pounds.

Colin_T is right about older furniture. It was mostly made much sturdier than some of the less pricey stuff sold these days.

That is a nivce looking desk. I would use it as such and get myself a metal stand. I even make my own wooden stands out of 2x4s and sometimes a bit of plywood.

Typically furniture of that age & quality can hold a lot of weight... exceptions being, anything that has long thin legs... you could probably put 2-3 10 gallons on that desk easily, as long as it's still "solid" you may want to protect the top against water damage by covering the top with something waterproof

You have 4 vertical panels that go from the bottom of the top board to the floor, if the back is sheeted in as well preventing a side to side movement then you are likely good to put a 20 gallon on it. If it shows any wobbling due to the wood flexing then I wouldn't use it but that desk looks pretty solid.

I am more bold, so I do not sit on the furniture to test it, I stand on it. I only weigh about 145 pounds. But, if I stand on the surface and then move around it, I am putting a lot of psi on that spot. All of my weight is on one or both of my feet. However, the weight of a tank is spread around the bottom frame or the entire bottom glass for a rimless tank.

So, I know that of the furniture supports me, it should be able support a greater total weight spread out. However, there is a limit to the max. weight that would be safe. A 20 gal tanks empty weighs 25 pounds, a 20L weighs the same. This is according to Aqueon (which used to be All-Glass)

I have a dresser and a credenze both made or particle board covered in melamine. The credenza has held a 20L and then a 29 for decades. On 1/2 of the drrsser when I need an extra tank I set up a 20 gal. But I have large piece of 1/4 inch thick glass I put under the tank, The glass adds about 15 pounds.

Colin_T is right about older furniture. It was mostly made much sturdier than some of the less pricey stuff sold these days.

That is a nivce looking desk. I would use it as such and get myself a metal stand. I even make my own wooden stands out of 2x4s and sometimes a bit of plywood.
I would but I live in a tiny studio with limited space. Plus I love watching my fish as I work on my laptop :)

Typically furniture of that age & quality can hold a lot of weight... exceptions being, anything that has long thin legs... you could probably put 2-3 10 gallons on that desk easily, as long as it's still "solid" you may want to protect the top against water damage by covering the top with something waterproof
Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

You have 4 vertical panels that go from the bottom of the top board to the floor, if the back is sheeted in as well preventing a side to side movement then you are likely good to put a 20 gallon on it. If it shows any wobbling due to the wood flexing then I wouldn't use it but that desk looks pretty solid.
I don't think the back is sheeted, but I might just put both 10 gals on either side over the drawers

I would expect that the backs behind the left and right draws would be tied in together, this would provide the lateral support necessary. I have my 20 gallon now on a kallax 8 cube shelving unit, it wiggles a bit but still securely holds the tank. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-black-brown-20275885/. I would imagine your desk is stronger unless the back is totally open.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back