Two Bettas In Divided 10 Gallon?

Blough said:

With two ten gallon aquariums you still want to make sure that they can't see one another, if the tanks are next to each other. Seeing another betta all day every day can cause a betta to be stressed out. Just because a betta isn't flaring doesn't mean he's comfortable, it may mean he's tired.

While seeing other bettas can cause stress, it does not do so for every individual.  As long as each betta has a "safe" place (a cave of some sort facing away from the other bettas) in their own section that they can retreat too and feel comfortable in, it normally is not that big of a deal that they can see each other through a divider or tank glass.  Bettas are pretty easy to see stress.  They will hide all the time, bite their fins, clamp their fins, or become really lethargic (without any other explanation).  

Yes, but isn't it easier just to put something between two tanks if they are next to one another then having to worry about stressing them?

That all depends on how things are for the OP as to if it is easier.  Sliding a piece of paper between the tanks is an easy fix if one is really concerned.  However if the tanks are set up well with a place for each betta to get away, then it really shouldn't be an issue.

Wildbetta said:
A divided 10 is perfectly fine.  I have kept up to 4 males in a 10 gallon divided 4 ways with the white craft mesh(which is "see thru).  In most cases the males will flare at each other for a while and then settle down.  Occasionally going back over for more flaring which is not a bad thing as it gives them some exercise.  The important thing is to make sure the dividers are secure and that each section has somewhere that the betta can go to get away from the neighbor -- like a cave facing opposite the divider.  Planting heavily right next to the divider on both sides is another way to lessen any possible stress issues.  If you only wanted to divide it in half, then you could technically have a small middle section holding the sponge filter and heater in it in the middle which allows enough space between the sections that the bettas can not see or have access to each other.  

I like that middle section idea!! A great way to lower the unattractive appearance of heaters and HOB filters.. I actually found plenty of DIY filters just searching around that seem to work fantastically as a mechanical and biological filter. This could be made by just putting a pump inside of a polyester tube, stuffing biomedia on both sides of the pump, and closing both sides with mesh to make the mechanical filter. If I don't want to purchase a filter in the future, then this is something I will definitely try! 

This kind of filter would be perfect in a middle section between bettas.

Personally, I think bettas should have a minimum of 5 gallons, 10 gallon is excellent though. The more room, the better, although I wouldn't exceed more than 20 gallons. I also would never divide a tank  to house two bettas. Only because if one fish were to get sick, the other fish would be at a great risk of catching whatever the sick fish has.

Why not exceed 20 gallons? I thought there was a minimum (I've heard five, and I've heard ten gallons) but no maximum.
You worry that if a betta gets sick, the other one will get it too, but isn't that the same for all fish? If its only two fish, you should probably be fine, right? I mean, community tanks can have hundreds of fish, the risk of disease being introduced is much higher, and yet people still manage to pull it off.

Blough said:
Why not exceed 20 gallons? I thought there was a minimum (I've heard five, and I've heard ten gallons) but no maximum.
You worry that if a betta gets sick, the other one will get it too, but isn't that the same for all fish? If its only two fish, you should probably be fine, right? I mean, community tanks can have hundreds of fish, the risk of disease being introduced is much higher, and yet people still manage to pull it off.
Yes, that is an excellent point. But most hobbyists put their community fish go through a quarantine first. So if you're panning on having two betta fish in one tank, definitely quarantine both fish.
I think it would be best to quarantine one betta at a time instead of quarantining both bettas at the same time.
And hey, I've seen people keep their bettas in 55 gallon tanks. But I think too much space for one fish might be stressful on them? By all means, put your betta in the biggest tank you can, but most people won't provide more than 20 gallons for one betta fish.

I'm not saying there's a maximum, either. but the typical minimum should be 5-10 gallons.

Alasse said:
5gal is plenty for a betta....2.5gal per fish is usually the recommended on many betta forums.

A clear divider may work, but it depends a lot on the personality of the bettas. (i have a tank with 2 betta in it that the divider they can see each other). A non clear divider would be a preferable way to go.

I would also put a small sponge filter in each side of the divider
Would just like to qualify that 2.5 gallons per fish (I'd go with at least 3 myself but whatever) 
Is referring to the minimum water that should be allotted the fish for bioload purposes, some bettas may be overly stressed being this close together.
Also, it's just my opinion but I think a betta should be allowed an area at least a foot long, in case it feels the need to exercise.

I don't really think that a fish is going to be stressed by too much space. In the wild isn't there a whole lot more space per fish than in the average tank? Why would a fish be stressed in 30 gallons because of too much space, when there could be over twice that much space for him by himself in the wild? (I don't actually know exactly how much space each fish has in the wild, I'm just guessing.)

Jeremy180 said:

5gal is plenty for a betta....2.5gal per fish is usually the recommended on many betta forums.

A clear divider may work, but it depends a lot on the personality of the bettas. (i have a tank with 2 betta in it that the divider they can see each other). A non clear divider would be a preferable way to go.

I would also put a small sponge filter in each side of the divider
Would just like to qualify that 2.5 gallons per fish (I'd go with at least 3 myself but whatever) 
Is referring to the minimum water that should be allotted the fish for bioload purposes, some bettas may be overly stressed being this close together.
Also, it's just my opinion but I think a betta should be allowed an area at least a foot long, in case it feels the need to exercise

As i stated personality of individual bettas. Mine do no probs with a clear divider, not in the least stressed. If they do seem stressed just change to a non-clear divider....problem solved

Blough said:
I don't really think that a fish is going to be stressed by too much space. In the wild isn't there a whole lot more space per fish than in the average tank? Why would a fish be stressed in 30 gallons because of too much space, when there could be over twice that much space for him by himself in the wild? (I don't actually know exactly how much space each fish has in the wild, I'm just guessing.)

In the case of some domestics, their fins are large enough that they do exhibit quite a bit of stress in larger environments considering the difficulties with swimming in that much water.  Fin biting is one of the stress factors that is often seen in the males with larger fins kept in larger tanks. In the wild, most of the splendens complex (wild type that the domestics originate from) do not take big territories and tend to stay in a very small area.  While in the wild there is a lot more space, the bettas do not really utilize it.  These fish stay hidden in vegetation and do not seem to wander out into open water very often.  So being in a large amount of water with not much in the way of vegetation in which to hide in a large tank could cause stress.

While I have no problems with the fact that breeders keep their fish in much smaller containers, I advocate 2.5 gallons per betta(5 gallons for king/giant bettas) for the normal hobbiest.  I am also an advocate of dividing tanks to house multiple males as this allows for better tank conditions most of the time than the smaller tanks for individuals.

Why tie up all of a 10 gallon for a single betta. They will get along fine in a tank of small fish as long as the other fish are not too nippy.  This guy lived in a 45 gallon endler tank for over 4 years and thrived in that environment. He used to eat the same flake food as the endlers and was often to be seen feeding along side the endler fry. The fry being less threatening than the fast moving adults.

The top of the tank at feeding time was a bit intimidating for him.

Most reactions

Back