Two Bettas In Divided 10 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DWC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What is consensus regarding male bettas in divided tanks where divider is transparent, i.e. Mesh. No possible contact between fish, sharing 10 gallon kept at toasty 78-80F in cycled, heated, sponge-filtered, heavily planted tank. Only snails for tank mates. Currently each betta has 10 gallons to himself, wondering about "stress" of visible threat. I have had bettas in past in 2 gallon jars where they could see next jar over with no "apparent " harm from stress. Running out of room for such luxurious accommodations and there always is the desire for another great fish to acquire.
Thanks for your thoughts - david

I personally would not consider that an acceptable environment for those fish.

It will cause stress to both the fish.  A betta on it's own in a ten gallon would thrive.

I disagree. I think five gallons each is sufficient. I would get a divider and make sure to heavily plant all around it if possible to ensure they can't have a stare down. Some bettas are more chilled than others and won't get stressed, but if you notice an issue, I'd separate them. My only fear would be too strong of a current for the betta that's on the filter side of the tank. I think separating a ten gallon is totally doable in my opinion :)

As long as the 2 males can't see each other ( NO transparent divider ) they will be fine. 5 gallons each is fine. IMO.

A betta on it's own in a ten gallon would thrive.

That's the way i would do it.

Running out of room for such luxurious accommodations and there always is the desire for another great fish to acquire.
If you are running out of room then no more fish.

You could put them in a divided tank. but it could make them get stress out. but I would say yes you could

Could isn't the same as should.

I could have turned up to work naked this morning.  Should I?  Probably not 
biggrin.png

5gal is plenty for a betta....2.5gal per fish is usually the recommended on many betta forums.

A clear divider may work, but it depends a lot on the personality of the bettas. (i have a tank with 2 betta in it that the divider they can see each other). A non clear divider would be a preferable way to go.

I would also put a small sponge filter in each side of the divider

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I will for stick with each male in his own 10 gallon tank.  They do seem to enjoy the room.  I perform a 25% water change weekly as the tanks are heavily planted with a forest Java Fern, a clump of Java Moss, an Anubias nana, islands of floating duckweed and some snails that arrived as stowaways with the moss.  They are cycled, heated to 78-80F and sponge filtered.   I used to do 75% changes twice weekly but then they were in un-cycled or filtered gallon jars.  I'll just need to rehome some books to make way for more Bettas each in his own tank, or keep away from peeking at the offerings at my lfs.
Thanks again.

I think that's the right decision.  As they've got their own tanks that's the best way for them to be.

All of us know the temptations of the LFS and getting more fish though!

A divided 10 is perfectly fine.  I have kept up to 4 males in a 10 gallon divided 4 ways with the white craft mesh(which is "see thru).  In most cases the males will flare at each other for a while and then settle down.  Occasionally going back over for more flaring which is not a bad thing as it gives them some exercise.  The important thing is to make sure the dividers are secure and that each section has somewhere that the betta can go to get away from the neighbor -- like a cave facing opposite the divider.  Planting heavily right next to the divider on both sides is another way to lessen any possible stress issues.  If you only wanted to divide it in half, then you could technically have a small middle section holding the sponge filter and heater in it in the middle which allows enough space between the sections that the bettas can not see or have access to each other.  

Great idea with middle "maintenance section" between two male bettas! I could squeeze sponge filter and heater between dividers maybe behind bushy plant camouflaging equipment. I purchased two level stands to allow room for four more ten gallon tanks under the current tanks but your idea gives me the option of potentially doubling the number of bettas per tank as well.

With an individual in each tank on my new two level stands I am limited to 7 currently, which I think will hold me for awhile. Would 14 be an obsession? Hmmmm?

Thanks for you help.
David

With two ten gallon aquariums you still want to make sure that they can't see one another, if the tanks are next to each other. Seeing another betta all day every day can cause a betta to be stressed out. Just because a betta isn't flaring doesn't mean he's comfortable, it may mean he's tired.

Blough said:
With two ten gallon aquariums you still want to make sure that they can't see one another, if the tanks are next to each other. Seeing another betta all day every day can cause a betta to be stressed out. Just because a betta isn't flaring doesn't mean he's comfortable, it may mean he's tired.

While seeing other bettas can cause stress, it does not do so for every individual.  As long as each betta has a "safe" place (a cave of some sort facing away from the other bettas) in their own section that they can retreat too and feel comfortable in, it normally is not that big of a deal that they can see each other through a divider or tank glass.  Bettas are pretty easy to see stress.  They will hide all the time, bite their fins, clamp their fins, or become really lethargic (without any other explanation).  

Is it not better to keep them in their existing separate tanks though?

Every betta is different, yes, but putting them in a situation that is likely to cause stress if they can be pretty easy to stress sounds far from optimal to me.

Wildbetta said:

While seeing other bettas can cause stress, it does not do so for every individual.  As long as each betta has a "safe" place (a cave of some sort facing away from the other bettas) in their own section that they can retreat too and feel comfortable in, it normally is not that big of a deal that they can see each other through a divider or tank glass.  Bettas are pretty easy to see stress.  They will hide all the time, bite their fins, clamp their fins, or become really lethargic (without any other explanation).  

Yes, but isn't it easier just to put something between two tanks if they are next to one another then having to worry about stressing them?

Most reactions

Back