Turtle

justjon

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
666
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I went to my LFS Yesterday, and in the tropical section they had 2 tanks with very small turtles in, they were VERY nice and I would love to get one one day, anyone know what these are? I can't remember the name... they each had a rock which was partly out of the water so they could rest at the top.
 
Were they red earred sliders? Little green guys with red spots on the side of their necks.
 
turtles need lots of care..very frequent water changes,have 2 clean their shells etc..dont get one unless your going to be dedicated and they can grow to about 12" big..and thats just the shell size!dont stay small for long, had to talk my sister out of it few months ago.
 
i got all my info from here http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/

They also require huge tanks. Take the shell lenght (inches) then times this by 40 and this is the size tank that it needs! longer is better than deeper. There after each additional turt ou times their shel lenght by 20.
 
They also require huge tanks. Take the shell lenght (inches) then times this by 40 and this is the size tank that it needs! longer is better than deeper. There after each additional turt ou times their shel lenght by 20.

I love ATP but I disagree with this.
I usually go by 10g per inch of turtle, plus an extra 10. So if I had a 5" long turtle I would need a 60gallon tank.
 
it works out similar

5" turt needs 50g if you doo it the way i do. I also am on areptile forum and this is how everyone else goes by too.
 
...? You mean 4, not 40, I guess. Cause 40 means a 5" turtle needs 200gallons... or am i missing something.

EDIT: yeahI think im missing something. :blink:
 
Yes, they are a TON of work. I actually keep mine in a huge rubbermade container because cleaning an aquarium was just too much work, they produce a lot of waste and need a lot of cleaning.

Even though I own one, I usually tell my friends never to get one. They are a real commitment of time, money and energy and someone who can provide all that is rare :(
 
...? You mean 4, not 40, I guess. Cause 40 means a 5" turtle needs 200gallons... or am i missing something.

EDIT: yeahI think im missing something. :blink:
sorry i fogot to say the answer means litres (so 5" turt needs 200l)

also a really powerful filter (twice ssize of tank) is needd as their poo is much heavier then fishes!
 
Yes, they are a TON of work. I actually keep mine in a huge rubbermade container because cleaning an aquarium was just too much work, they produce a lot of waste and need a lot of cleaning.

Even though I own one, I usually tell my friends never to get one. They are a real commitment of time, money and energy and someone who can provide all that is rare :(
totally agree although i have one and its only a baby, when my friends come round and say 'oh i want one' i say, trust me no you dont!!


as much as i love sid, it is hard work and expensive!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top