Trouble in both tanks.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metalhead88

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 55 and 90 gallon tank and I'm having some trouble in both tanks. I'm concerned that maybe I have some sort of cross contamination going on as well. The 55 has a ram that looks like he will not make it, and the 90 has a red severum that is breathing weird as well as not eating (1 day)

55 gallon tank with a gold ram on it's last leg. This morning I noticed that my normally vibrant gold ram was pale. He ate a little bit, but did not eat as much as normal. 2 hours later, he's lathargic, breathing heavy, and pretty much on his death bed. Other fish seem fine. I had a serpea tetra die with similar symptoms last week.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
gH 89.5
pH 6.8
Tankmates 3 other rams, 15 or so corydora 15 or so serpea tetra
Water change 75% once a week
Temp 80F

90 gallon has a Red Severum being a little weird. His breathing is uneven I guess at times, and normal others. He did not eat today and is normally a savage when the food comes out. He also seems less active than normal. I posted a topic the other day about what seems to be a deformity on his gill plate. He has had it since I've got him. I'm assuming this is unrelated. Other fish in this tank also seem fine.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Tankmates - convict, blood parrot, 8 giant danio
Temp 76F

About 3 weeks ago I added 3 more corries and a electric blue ram into the 55 they were in quarantine for 30 days and seem fine.

I have not done anything new or added anything recently to either tank. Posting pics / videos in a few minutes.

0216201650~3.jpg

I would remove the distressed fish immediately & do a massive water change. If the water parameters are good, it could be something environmental. Has anyone sprayed anything in the vicinity of your tanks??? If it's a contaminant or a disease, a massive water change is essential & likely the only thing that might help. I lost all my catfish (various cory species) around 30 years ago to a weird virus (everyone in my town was talking about it), so I kind of know how you might feel. Hang in there & change the water.

I would remove the distressed fish immediately & do a massive water change. If the water parameters are good, it could be something environmental. Has anyone sprayed anything in the vicinity of your tanks??? If it's a contaminant or a disease, a massive water change is essential & likely the only thing that might help. I lost all my catfish (various cory species) around 30 years ago to a weird virus (everyone in my town was talking about it), so I kind of know how you might feel. Hang in there & change the water.

I'm draining water as I type this. I doubt it is anything environmental. Nothing ever gets sprayed anywhere near the tanks.

I'm draining water as I type this. I doubt it is anything environmental. Nothing ever gets sprayed anywhere near the tanks.
Good move, I once had a massive shrimp die off for no apparant reason (and I use RO water). I actually thought I had lost them all. I did two 90% changes and resigned myself to waiting a few months before restocking. No further action and the few that survived came out of hiding and the colony is now thriving again. No idea what caused it - but my best guess is I had something on my hands when I did the previous water change.

On a separate note serpaes can be absolute sods. I know you have a good number in a decent sized tank - but don't rule them out.

Sorry for your fish, he really does not look good. Hope the water changes help. They have worked for me in the past. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments. Water change is done and the ram was moved to a hospital tank. He does seem better off there, but the way I saw him before I don't expect him to live.

I don't normally use carbon. Should I toss some in the filter? No idea if it would absorb any toxins.

I'm usually very careful with contaminating the tank and always shower before I do a water change or have my hands in the tank.

Last edited:
I always wash my hands before feeding and water changes or when ever I reach into the tank too. As far as carbon I only use it to remove medication but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Good move, I once had a massive shrimp die off for no apparant reason (and I use RO water). I actually thought I had lost them all. I did two 90% changes and resigned myself to waiting a few months before restocking. No further action and the few that survived came out of hiding and the colony is now thriving again. No idea what caused it - but my best guess is I had something on my hands when I did the previous water change.

On a separate note serpaes can be absolute sods. I know you have a good number in a decent sized tank - but don't rule them out.
Yeah I found out about the tetras after purchasing them. I've actually had good luck with them. They pay no mind to other fish.

The gold ram looks like it has had a head injury/ stroke. Euthanise it.

The severum appears to be gulping (opening its mouth suddenly) and that is a bit unusual.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.
Do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean substrate every day for a week, (as suggested by the others).
Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Increase aeration and monitor fish. If it gets worse, post another video and add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water).

The gold ram looks like it has had a head injury/ stroke. Euthanise it.

The severum appears to be gulping (opening its mouth suddenly) and that is a bit unusual.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.
Do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean substrate every day for a week, (as suggested by the others).
Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Increase aeration and monitor fish. If it gets worse, post another video and add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water).

Any idea what could cause the severum to gulp like that? I also saw him shake before. Only once.

I've decided against euthanizing the ram for now. He's still obviously stressed, but is heading in the right direction. Yesterday he was laying on the floor pretty much lifeless at one point. Still not doing great, but its a huge improvement from yesterday.

I'm about to start my water changes for the day. I'll post an update and a video or 2 afterwards.

The severum might have an infection in the throat or mouth, a bit like tonsillitis but a fishy version. Just give it clean water and salt and see how it goes.

The severum might have an infection in the throat or mouth, a bit like tonsillitis but a fishy version. Just give it clean water and salt and see how it goes.
Thanks for the help so far. How do we feel about salt for the ram?

Day 2 update
Water change on 55/90/hospital tank done with all surfaces wiped down
Adding salt to 90 over the next few hours
Extra airstone added to 55. The 90 has lots of surface agitation.

Ram (hospital tank) looking much better. He's still pale, obviously stressed, and is in hiding in a cave. He came out to eat a bit today. Yesterday I was pretty sure he had only a few hours left. He's swimming upright, but near the bottom of the tank. He's obviously weak.

Severum (90) he has been left in the tank for now. He's still gulping like yesterday and did not eat today either. He had a nice normal poo when I came home today, so he must have eaten something the past 2 days. He appears to be swimming around like normal today. Yesterday he was a bit sluggish. I might be overthinking that given what I have going on

55 gallon tank - All other fish are at normal behavior

you can add salt to the ram tank.

the ram tank could do with a thin layer of sand or gravel on the bottom.
make sure there is a picture on the back of the tank.
crush the food up so it's smaller and easier for both fish to eat.
have the aquarium heater on a slight angle. The thermostat needs to be higher than the heating coil. The thermostat is at the end with the cord.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back