Treating With Melafix And Pimafix

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Okay, One of my neon tetras has mouth fungus or rot, I forgot which it's called, as well as a fungus on it's body so I was planning on treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix after removing the carbon in my filters. I want to know if it's safe for all my fish. I have:
6 Neon Tetras
4 "white" neon tetras
8 Black Phantom Tetras
8 Silver Tip Tetras
3 Black Kuhlie Loaches
3 Baby Black Kuhlie Loaches
5 Panda Cories
and
4 Platies
Will it hurt any of my fish?

Combining Melafix and Pimafix is perfectly safe. The products are made to work together. I used both products on my Pleco to help cure him. Just make sure you use the correct dosages and instructions. But you will be fine combining both. As they are made by the same company.

*you can even call the company yourself and they will answer any questions you have as in regards to the combination*

i've never used pimafix, but i wouldn't expect them to be on the same level of effectiveness as antibiotic meds.

Thanks... but I think you guys misunderstood my question. I was wondering if it would hurt any of my fish, because cories have small scales and kuhlies have no scales at all, I think. I was wondering if that would affect them any.

If you want to be sure, because of the scale versus scale-less i'd call the company and ask them.

Okay, will-do, unless anyone else contributes before I buy it (tomorrow afternoon)

With scaless fish it's more the parasite meds that they can't tolerate to well.
How bad it the mouth fungus columnaris as it soon will rot the mouth away if its a bad strain.

I beleive that it is mostly copper-based meds that hurt scaleless fish. You're fine using the primafix and melafix for your tank! Just be careful as those two can be lethal to fish if overdosed. I did so by accident, filling the cap a bit higher than the line) and didn't realize it made that much of a deal. So make sure you get the dossage as exact as possible. :good:

Thanks for the replies.
Wilder, it's the mouth rot is a darker spot on the bottom of his mouth, maybe about... 1 mm big. He ate a bit of flake today so I'm not too worried... should I be? :unsure:

I wouldn't use melafix, only good on cuts and wounds.
Pimafix is good with uk meds with columnaris.
But in the states you have excess to better bacterial meds.
This site is for betta's but its an interesting read.

http://network.bestfriends.org/friends_of_.../news/5401.html
Taken from the link.
Maracyn is the most useful anti-biotic I have encountered for Columnaris. It is readily available at almost any fish store, can be easily divided into treatments for tanks ranging from 2.5 to 10 gallons, and seems fairly gentle on the fish's system. You should start treatment with Maracyn immediately.

Okay, so I'm getting maracyn and pimafix?
I read the site, it doesn't really look like the pic of the betta. It's not as... wispy, it's more of grey-white patches, but they do stick out a little bit. They're on both sides of it's body.

Wait... he has greyish white areas on his body, but a much darker grey on his mouth/chin. Is that all just columnaris?

These are the colours columnaris come in and they do tend to come in the greyish white colour most of the time.

white, yellow-brown, gray cottony patches on body, fins or mouth
They don't always have to be cottony either.

Taken from the last link I put up.
However, white or grayish white, fuzzy looking lesions on that occur on normal skin, mouth or fins - especially with a bleaching of the skin underneath - fish are much more likely due to columnaris. True fungus generally grows on infected wounds or torn fins, that is, it grows on dead tissue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back