The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
So I recently emptied out a 10 gallon tank, no filter or light or anything, it used to be my hermit crabs tank. Today I rinsed it and added new gravel and a divider, as Iā€™m planning on making this a divided betta tank.
Because it didnā€™t have a filter, I went out and bought a tetra whisper 10i internal filter I believe itā€™s called. I put it together and put it in.
(The tank only has gravel and the filter off, no water, the decorations arenā€™t in yet). I know of people taking media from established tanks and putting them into new tanks to do an ā€œinstant cycleā€. The internal filter has a brand new medium filter cartridge. I have another betta tank, a 2.5 gallon, with an established filter cartridge. Can I take the established one, put it in WITH the new one when I put water in and have an ā€œinstantly cycled tankā€? Would it be safe to put fish in within a few days if I did this?
Thanks!

will you be removing all your media from the other betta tank?...that might not be a good idea

Iā€™ve heard of people taking a whole cartridge. Iā€™ve replaced that cartridge many times with no problems (knock on wood), so I was just wondering if when I take out the old one if I could put it in the new tank, then put in a fresh cartridge in the 2.5. Iā€™m sorry if Iā€™m not doing a good job of putting it into words..

As long as it hasnā€™t dried out and taking right from the tank, it should be fine. Test it the next day and see what you get. I keep extra sponges in all my filters and jump start new tanks with them. I always have a cycled tank within 24 hours. You can cut the filter floss and tuck some in the new tank and leave some in the existing tank behind new cartridge. Then they both have some. If you have gravel in the original tank, you can also put a big scoop of it in a panty hose and drop it in the new tank too. The gravel has beneficial bacteria on it. I usually do both.

Last edited:
I have an aquaclear filter in one of my tanks and I put three foam filter inserts so in an instance like that yea I can take one and put it into a new tank to instant cycle but their are still two more left in the established tank that have been holding beneficial bacteria and I never replace more than one at any given time. If you take an established pad out of a filter and itā€™s the only media Iā€™m not sure if youā€™d be pulling too much good bacteria out and then have to go through a cycle again. @Colin_T helped me with my questions about instant cycling for my newest tank (when Iā€™m ready) and was tremendously insightful.

Nvm Deanasue was answering same time I was writing. Sorry! Ha ha. :X

Thanks so much!

I just transfer the cartridge right over to another filter. As long as the filter cartridge stays in water, it should be fine. Good luck! ;)

Thanks! I was able to fit the established cartridge into the new filter, got the tank all set up now. Will it be ok to run by itself, no fish, for a few days, say until Sunday? There are no fish in there at the moment and I read you have to have something to fuel the beneficial bacteria, but I have no fish to put in there.

You can add a little fish food. As it sits it will make a little ammonia.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back