Toxotes Blythii

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I love Archer fish and the pattern on these are the most attractive I have seen, not sure I would pay that much though!

Here's something you don't see every day! Toxotes blythii is a species of freshwater archerfish confined to a limited area in Burma. They are hardly ever traded. These specimens at Wildwoods are the first ones I've ever seen in the UK. They're stunning fish -- my photos don't really do them justice -- and appear to be no more difficult to keep than any of the other freshwater archers. Price? About £85, or about $135! So unfortunately a bit out of my league. But if you happen to be in the London area, it's well worth a little window shopping…

Cheers, Neale

Toxotes_blythii_1.JPG

Toxotes_blythii_2.JPG

Hi Neale,

Know this is an old thread, but saw this, as well as what you wrote on PFK, and really interested in these.

I saw them in Wildwoods a couple of weekends ago, and would be pretty tempted to get one (despite the price tag!) but had a couple of questions that hopefully you can answer?

Firstly tank size...my largest tank is a Rio 180 (40") - would this be adequate for a singleton? Secondly, is keeping only one recommended, or would a group (and therefore a larger tank) be required? And finally tank mates - obviously they need to be kept with fairly large tank mates, so I was thinking maybe a trio of pictus catfish and rainbowfish - would you see a problem with that or perhaps be able to recommend alternatives?

Unfortunately won't be able to set the tank up until the new year, but thankfully that's not too far away now! Just hope they are still there when I go back...

Thanks very much in advance,

Nick

If only my LFS had some of these...oh well...Sticking with Toxotes microlepis is good enough for me! :D just need money.... for 5-6 of them....12$ a piece isnt bad but when you have to cut grass and shovel snow for money its a tad hard to do in between seasons lol

Hi just wondering if anybody on here bought any of them and if so how they are doing? Be interested in sharing any info on them as things seem to have gone very quiet on them! In particular what size they have got to, as this seemed to have some question over it. Have to say that once they settled mine have proved to be growing pretty fast, although still remain more gentle to each other than the other archers I have.

From my experience, njstockley, they def do better in a group, same as other archers to be honest. Mine are much happier since the group has grown and they are great to watch as they interact with each other. They do much more displaying to each other than other types. With regards to tank mates, I think your selection would work well. I have mine with congos and denison barbs and all get on well, not had any problems with any of them. Def need something to tidy up the bottom, the barbs do a great job.

From my experience, njstockley, they def do better in a group, same as other archers to be honest. Mine are much happier since the group has grown and they are great to watch as they interact with each other. They do much more displaying to each other than other types. With regards to tank mates, I think your selection would work well. I have mine with congos and denison barbs and all get on well, not had any problems with any of them. Def need something to tidy up the bottom, the barbs do a great job.

Thanks for letting me know - have you got pics of your setup? would love a group but would be unsure if could justify that kind of expenditure. whatsize have yours grown to?

Don't think about the cost, rather not think about that either :blush: At least they appear hardy once settled, even one which I got which very under weight has settled and filled out nicely with a little tlc :) Largest ones are now about 5+ and are thickening out a lot, have put on about an inch since got them. Will get some pics sorted, no excuse just need to do :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back