TOTM, POTM, FOTM suggestion.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
I have recently been having a thought about these contests. I like them, there really cool. But there have been many times Iā€™ve entered and lost to someone who already had a TOTM contest banner. It just doesnā€™t seem fair that people that have already won and have a great tank/pet/fish should be able to enter again. I bet Iā€™ve entered in the TOTM contest over 10 times and havenā€™t won once. It just doesnā€™t seem fair.
(A great example is in the FOTM contest right now, the guy that is winning already has a banner! :/)

You will just have to make your tank look better.

Before you take pictures of your tank, wipe the inside and outside of the glass, do a huge water change and gravel clean.
Make sure there is plenty of light above the tank so you can get a clear picture.
Make sure the fish or whatever you are photographing, is in the picture. A number of pictures have been spoilt and lost points because part of the tail was missing, or there was white dots on the glass from dirt reflecting the light.

If you have concerns, post a picture and I can point out things that need improving to make the picture better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thatā€™s never the problem @Colin_T. I always clean the glass, do a vacuum, and tidy up the tank every time.

My point is some people have a super good fish, tank, or pet. If they win, good for them, they get a cool banner. But come on, letā€™s give other people a chance to share in the joy.

Yes, there is a ā€œtime offā€ period after winning. Some people are very talented and spend a lot of money on their tanks. I personally, feel competition is competition. Someone shouldnā€™t be penalized for having a nice fish or tank or pet. You Just have to try harder.

You really shouldn't be commenting on an active contest. If the result is now prejudiced or jeopardised that is not a fair competition.
And what about people who have more than one tank/ pet/ fish? Shouldn't they be allowed to enter them?

Actually , Krib32 did not break the present rule for FOTM. Going forward, the following rule will be added to FOTM contest:
  • If you won a previous FOTM contest, you must skip one FOTM contest before you can enter a different fish.
We have some new ideas for totm starting with the march 1st contest. We will post the exciting updates for totm soon. Stay tuned.

PS: If you havent voted yet in the FOTM contest, click on banner at top of the forums, review the entries and then VOTE!

Actually , Krib32 did not break the present rule for FOTM. Going forward, the following rule will be added to FOTM contest:
  • If you won a previous FOTM contest, you must skip one FOTM contest before you can enter a different fish.
Why make them skip a month if they are entering a different fish?

Why not just say winners of previous contests can't enter the same fish, tank or animal into new contests. That way they can enter each month, but they have to enter something new.

eg: winner of tank of the month. They can use the same glass aquarium but it has to be landscaped significantly differently to any they have won with before.

eg: winner of fish of the month. They can't enter that winning fish again.

eg: winner of pet of the month. They can't enter that winning pet again.

good points....but I think having them skip a contest or two before entering a different fish, tank, or pet is reasonable. I think my ideas for TOTM in coming months will help increase participation. I will soon make a thread about the upcoming changes. I hope these changes will increase interest in the contest. Stay tuned!

We have some new ideas for totm starting with the march 1st contest. We will post the exciting updates for totm soon. Stay tuned.

PS: If you havent voted yet in the FOTM contest, click on banner at top of the forums, review the entries and then VOTE!
Now thatā€™s a good new rule. So if you win, you have to wait 2 contests before entering again and you have to enter a different fish/tank/pet (If you lose, you can enter the same fish/tank/pet.) Am I understanding this new rule correctly? And @Deanasue, believe me, Iā€™ve tried so hard. Iā€™ve enter my 10 again and again, with no victory. Iā€™ve entered Blaze so many times also.

if you win a totm, you will have to skip the next 2 contests before you can enter a "different" tank. For fish of the month , if you win, you will have to skip just one fotm contest before entering a "different" fish....same for pet of the month. FOTM runs just every other month...it alternates with POTM. New ideas for TOTM will be posted soon in a new thread.

Last edited:
Now thatā€™s a good new rule. So if you win, you have to wait 2 contests before entering again and you have to enter a different fish/tank/pet (If you lose, you can enter the same fish/tank/pet.) Am I understanding this new rule correctly? And @Deanasue, believe me, Iā€™ve tried so hard. Iā€™ve enter my 10 again and again, with no victory. Iā€™ve entered Blaze so many times also.
I know you have and Blaze is beautiful. Just a lot of competition. Iā€™ve given suggestions in the past on what to do with TOTM. Add things to make it more eye appealing. Large driftwood, more stones/rocks, silk plants, etc. :)

A year ago, we were lucky to get 2 or 3 entries in each of our contests. And we were lucky to get 10 people to vote. We now usually get several entries so winning is more difficult and generally we get at least 40 people voting. I generally limit the number of entries to give competitors a better chance of winning.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back