Top fin Readistart Nitrifying Bacteria Starter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

merrall412

Reaction score
I just purchased a larger tank for my betta fish (switched from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon) and I had to do a 100% water change since my fish had just recovered from fin rot and the medication I used was not suitable for the live plants I put in his new tank. Since I had to do a 100% water change I was worried about new tank syndrome so I purchased Top fin Readistart Nitrifying Bacteria Starter. After adding it to the tank (along with a water conditioner), I came across a few reviews saying that this product killed their fish, one of the reviews was talking specifically about a betta fish.

I am now questioning whether or not this product is reliable and if it is safe to put my fish in his new tank? If someone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you for your help!

Your beneficial bacteria resides in you filter, providing you didn't change the filter media or rinsed it in tap water. You should be ok changing all the water. What type of filter are you using and for how long has it been running?

It is a brand new tank that i purchased today, so the filter has only been running for a few hours. Unfortunately I can not use my old filter cartridge as it is not compatible with my new filter.

Ok, if your old filter is still running or wet, providing it was cycled, I would cut pieces of it and put it into the new filter media, do not wash it, you want that beneficial bacteria to spread on to your new filter.

The other alternative is to do a "fish in cycle". If so, please read some articles on it, there are loads of information out there on how to get it done and with the one fish, it won't be difficult.

Ok, if your old filter is still running or wet, providing it was cycled, I would cut pieces of it and put it into the new filter media, do not wash it, you want that beneficial bacteria to spread on to your new filter.
Will this still work if my filter has dried?

No, all your nitrifying bacteria is dead by now. I think you should be ok cycling with one fish in the tank. You will need to check ammonia levels don't rise to the point it will harm your fish by doing partial small water changes and make sure you don't overfeed. I suggest you do some reading on "fish in cycle". For a faster cycling, if you can get a small piece of filter media from an established tank, you'll be set. Keep us posted, good luck!

No, all your nitrifying bacteria is dead by now. I think you should be ok cycling with one fish in the tank. You will need to check ammonia levels don't rise to the point it will harm your fish by doing partial small water changes and make sure you don't overfeed. I suggest you do some reading on "fish in cycle". For a faster cycling, if you can get a small piece of filter media from an established tank, you'll be set. Keep us posted, good luck!
Thank you so much for your help! I have testing kits for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. How often should I do these water changes? and ammonia levels would be deemed as harmful to my betta?

Since you only have one fish, you bio-load is low, you will have to occasionally monitor the ammonia levels every couple of days or so and do water changes accordingly. Not to confuse you... On the other side of this, the cycling process requires some ammonia to get going so this is why you'll have to keep on eye on the ammonia level.

In future if you are upgrading the fish into a bigger tank, just move the old filter into the new tank. Then you don't have to worry about cycling.

If your old filter media is still damp, then put the old filter with its media in the new tank. You can run both filters for a month and then remove the old one if you like. Or just run the old filter in the new tank.

The top fin filter bacteria is unlikely to cause the death of any fish if it's a bottle of filter bacteria. These bacteria normally occur in the aquarium on filter media, gravel, rocks and other solid objects in the tank. If someone online lost a fish after they added some filtr bacteria to the tank, there might have been another issue.

The top fin filter bacteria is unlikely to cause the death of any fish if it's a bottle of filter bacteria. These bacteria normally occur in the aquarium on filter media, gravel, rocks and other solid objects in the tank. If someone online lost a fish after they added some filtr bacteria to the tank, there might have been another issue.
Though I'm not a fan or use any of those bottled bacteria, I also agree the cause of fish death after adding it to the aquarium had to do with something else. These are not cure all or fix all additives as unfortunately many newcomers are led to believe. Just last night I was looking around Petco (chain store here in US) and a customer was asking a sales rep if they had any "bacteria" in a bottle that would drop his nitrates levels!!! I later approached the customer and asked him, "why not just do a water change, that will drop your nitrates? His reply was " I want to keep my water changes to a minimum since too many water changes are bad for the fish", I had to walk away.

You should have no "cycling" issues here regardless. A single betta in a 10g tank and considering there are live plants (if I read post #1 correctly) will ensure all is well. Plants take up ammonia/ammonium rapidly, and even slow growers in this sized tank with just one fish will easily handle things. Floating plants are best as they are fast growers, and bettas "expect" them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back