Too Much Food

iihay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I got home from work to find out my wife had dropped a whole tub of flakes accidentally into our 49l tank, I was not happy but it's our wedding anniversary so I just said "Oh dear never mind"!

The tank is cycling with fish in (got here too late to find out about fishless). Been going for 3 weeks with nitrite, nitrate, ammonia all less than 0.25, pH 7.1, it has 4 platys, 2 dwarf gourami and a female betta. I have just changed about 60% of the water using a gravel vac to try and get as much food out as possible. Any advice on how I should continue sorting this out. Is a change of this size too much every day? There is still a lot of food in the gravel substrate to get out and I expect this will ammonia spike badly with all that rotting food. I have some prime, should I get some of that in to complex any ammonia out as it forms or just test very frequently?

Thanks

Iain

Do another extensive gravel vac and 50% water change tomorrow. Then just keep an eye on levels. Further smaller changes may be needed to keep diluting. If you are worried about a spike killing your fish then get hold of some Ammo Lock which in your case will help to protect your fish from high ammonia levels.

:good:

It's always the wife's fault... Now- be honest- was the tub sitting tediously on the filter with no lid on it? And was the tank also placed directly beside the area where she does Tae-Bo work outs? I thought so. ;) :p

It's always the wife's fault... Now- be honest- was the tub sitting tediously on the filter with no lid on it? And was the tank also placed directly beside the area where she does Tae-Bo work outs? I thought so. ;) :p

It was the 3.5 year old hyperactive son factor in this case! She was trying to cheer up a gourami who is looking very sad and behaving strangley lurking in a corner, he was trying to get her to play with toy tractors :)

Do another extensive gravel vac and 50% water change tomorrow. Then just keep an eye on levels. Further smaller changes may be needed to keep diluting. If you are worried about a spike killing your fish then get hold of some Ammo Lock which in your case will help to protect your fish from high ammonia levels.

Will do, thanks for the advice.

Iain

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back