Too Many Snails

Lawrence

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
292
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Maastricht, Holland
After 3 weeks I started seeing snails in my tank. Now 2 months later and I have HUNDREDS of snails. Most of them are babies (dont know technnical term). Now there snails lay the eggs in the water in the tank and I always see egg sacks. My quesion is-WHAT DO I DO!!!!. Do I have to constantly try and take the eggs out or do I kill the snails by hand?? or is there a product I can use?

Help appreciated
 
Adding more products and chemicals isn't really great for your tank. I had a similar problem, not similar actually the same problem. What was suggested to me was boil a piece of cucumber in the microwave, put it into a glass jar on its side during the night. in the morning it should have a good number of snails in it. Remove the jar full of snails. Rinse and repeat. This way also if you know anyone who wants live snails you can give them away. It takes sometime but doesn't hurt anything as long as you remove the cucumber in the morning. Squishing them works too but beware of sharp shells and bacterial infections.
 
Yeah, they only multiply in the hundreds if there's excessive amounts of food available (either due to overfeeding or algae growth).

If your stocking allows it, a suitable snail-eating fish (such as many loaches, or kribensis) will help deal with them, but you should still figure out what the underlying cause for their population explosion is.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top