TO YOU ALL

chrisrad

Reaction score
YOU'RE ALL AWESOME (my eighties are showing). I just wanted to thank you all for all of the great info. I have not had to post much, most of my questions are answered by reading the posts made to other people, but I have learned more from you guys for free than I have reading books or websites!!

THANKS A BUNCH FOR TAKING THE TIME!
chrisrad :nod: :nod: :nod:

Glad you have enjoyed the advice & infomation.

What's your tank like?

The eighties ruled!!

Have you heard the country song by Mark Wills? It's called

19 something

Even if your not into country you should check it out sometime...it's way to true!

I happy that we could be of assistance. I spent alot of time just reading it before I joined this forum and since joining I have proved that I have no life.

Hi Tanked.

What do you mean that you have no life.

I thaught a life was sat in front of a computer posting on a fish forum, well that all I do. ROTFLMAO.

that is my life too. at least while I'm at work. We've had a staffing shortage as of late so I spend alot of time at the help desk rather than in the field. in the next few months my daily post shuld decrease significanly due to more field work (which I was hired for to begin with)

Yeah i am amazed at how many posts you have tanked. You joined 5 days before me and have 1000 more posts. Must be boring at the help desk :p

As for the eighties, i don't really remember them except maybe the later ones. Was still just a youngin. :lol:

Mollymomma-

At the moment I just have a 10 gallon but am shopping for a 55 gallon. Any advice or equipment list for that size would be greatly appreciated. I originally bought the tank for my son's birthday a year ago, but have found out I really bought it for myself. At the moment my 10 gallon is crisis ridden. My daughter dumped an entire (new) container of fish food into it and I did not find out for what must have been hours. I've lost 3 fish (both of my starter danios and one bloodfin tetra) and am hoping to get the ammonia and nitrite back under control before I lose the rest. It's been a water changing and gravel vacuuming kind of week. (I'm amazed at how hard it is to have to flush those little guys.) Up to this point the only death I've had has been an algae eater who was sick when I got him.

I've decided I need a bigger tank (in a little more visible room of the house, that would have saved my other guys).

Thanks for all the info and input.

I Love Country music, but haven't heard that song.

chrisrad

CR,

for a 55 gallon, which is my tank size I would recomend a Fluval 404 hooked up to a Bio Wheel Pro 60, with a 300 watt submersable heater, and a 23 inch bubble wand to assist with airation. on a tighter budget I would get an emporer 400 power filter (comes with dual biowheels and is what I have due to budget and my love of the bio wheel). 300 watt heater is still needed for a tank that large.

hth

richard

Hey, Tanked. What's a bio wheel? I've seen filters with them at the lfs, but could you explain exactly what they do? I saw a website once that said that if you have a filter with a bio wheel, you don't need substrate. What is your opinion?

A bio wheel is a biological filtration device. It sits in grooves designed for it in the power filter and is either driven by the outfolw from the power filter or a spray bar. as it builds a bacteria culture it turns a slimy brown color (good thing). the pre filtered water irun run across the bio wheel which removes any ammonia or nitrite that come in contact with it. because of the fact that is is exposed to oxygen it works as a wet/dry system and a single 7" in biowheel contains more beneficial nitrifying bacteria by almost 30,000 times than 50 lbs of cultured substrate.

In answer to you second question. do you need substrate when using a biowheel? NO you do not, but it really makes the tank look nicer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back