Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. click here!
    FishForums.net Vote Pet of the Month
    Dismiss Notice

To The Visual Artists Here:

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts, and photography' started by SirMinion, Feb 17, 2006.

1. SirMinion

SirMinion Sexy Martha Fahaka
    Retired Moderator

Mine is obvious, it's biro (ballpoint pen) because it's so immediate.
    No preparation just grab paper and pen and start drawing. BAM!

I also paint in watercolours & acrylics, draw in pencil, animate in Flash and sculpt in clay, papier-maché and latex.

So what do YOU do?

2. MAM

MAM Mamalammadingdong
    Retired Moderator

I'm a pencil kinda gal for the most part, I have shoebox full of drawing pencils. I even prefer pencils over pens for everyday writing but I digress. I am the scientific illustrator for my company so I do plenty of drawing. I always start everything off in pencil because I "think" best in pencil, I can get all my tones for shading just the way I want them. Then I take the ol' Microns out and go over the pencil. I do all my shading with Microns using a stipple technique. I drive co workers batty as they watch me basically making thousands of little dots. But I stink at traditional cross hatching, I'm too much of a perfectionist and if the lines aren't perfect, they scream out at me. So I stick with stipple.

I also enjoy working with metals and wire on a small scale (think jewelry/accessories). I've had a chance to try my hand at lampworking, but I only have three hours of torch time under my belt, need more practice. I did really enjoy that and would like to branch out and explore that area of glasswork more.

3. Jen

Jen Member

When I do draw or paint, it's normally whatever is around me. Pen or pencil or crayon. I like them all. I like painting with watercolour paint.

4. onemisterchristian

pen and ink...you only have one line to convey an entire image!

5. Puffer_freak

Puffer_freak Put the trombone down, bitch!

Not that I'm any good, but I enjoy to doodle and draw using biros (probably most of all) but I also enjoy drawing in photoshop - that's graphics tablet...

I can't get the hang of flash...I find it far too confusing!

6. onemisterchristian

Awww flash is great! The flash paint brush tool is responsible for so much graphic inspiration! That sloppy, thick chunky cursive look is instantly acheived any time you use it.
    Like this

7. lljdma06

lljdma06 Retired moderator :)
    Retired Moderator

When I draw birds, I use a regular #2 pencil and then color with thicker colored pencils, like Berol Prismacolor or the equivalent.

8. catxx

catxx Member

i love every form of media!! admittedly i can't really use them all, but i can admire from a far. i have a big thing for graffiti artists at the moment, spraypaint skills! i get really excited when i see some graffiti on a wall that's actually taken some time, planning and skill to create. i'd love to be able to stencil like Banksy does, but i can't get my head round it! i'm always on the look out for Banksy and D*Face work when i'm out and about in london. this all really started when i saw a really pretty Banksy stencil down on the South Bank (of the Thames) under a bridge, it's of a little girl and her heart-shaped balloon is floating away.

9. chishnfips

chishnfips WHAT! You went over my Helmet!

I loike pencil, all different grades. I also want to try watercolour and pastels, I reckon you could get some smart effects.

I dont fancy acrylics or oils though, they seem really hard to use.

10. CatLover

CatLover Member

I mostly do pencil. Mechanical pencils are a fav, I feel like I have so much control with them.
    I also have a thing for charcoal and Prisma markers. I also love working in Photoshop, but unfortunately my Waccom tablet died :-(

11. OohFeeshy

OohFeeshy It's only forever; not long at all...

Anything I can grab. It depends what I'm doodling, most are more 'cartooney' since I have the artistic skills of a bag of colourblind rocks, so I like using a black felt tip, but if (as I'm doing lately, for some reason) I'm going for a bit more 'lifelike' doodle, I go for whatever pencil I can get and colouring pencils.

12. Puffer_freak

Puffer_freak Put the trombone down, bitch!

I've heard of so many people recently who's tablets have died! I know what it feels like to be suddenly without one though...if anyone steals mine from my bedroom, I feel I can't do anything!

13. Mr Miagi

Mr Miagi Veins are flowing with SW, now going back to FW!

Heh, lately ive been drawing a bit, mainly with a plain old pencil. During lectures mainly.... :whistle:

14. piatotsini

piatotsini Member

I used to do pencil and watercolor. This got very expensive (yeah, I'm a cheapskate haha!), so now I do computer graphics. My favorite thing to do is to take pictures of things and make something completely different out of it. Case in point, my avatar. :p

Besides, I do freelance photo editing, so it's kinda within the territory :lol:

15. oneponygirl

oneponygirl Member

I've done pencil, charcoal, and stippling in old-fashioned dip pen and ink (which I love but you gotta be SO careful!), and dabbled in sculpting clay in high school. For a while I completely switched to photography because it could take me months to do a picture in pen and ink (being able only to do it in spare moments) but photos were so much quicker. I took a watercolor class last year but I didn't so much like the teacher so I want to take another. I've also had cravings for pastels lately and am going to look into that (once I get my fun money stash stocked up again). I also sew cross stitches and want to start making my own patterns either from my own drawings or photographs. I think some day I also want to try oil, well, I pretty much want to try everything. I've also done some pretty nice stuff in simple ol' crayola crayons. :)