To Panda Or Not To Panda?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Egmel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was planning to get some pandas (my LFS has them in for under £4 each which is actually cheaper than most of the other cory species they stock) to go in my recently cycled tank however I've been told that they are unlikely to survive in such a new tank and that the attrition rate would be high. The guy in my LFS (who is really useful and knows his stuff) says that Pandas are not as feeble as they once were. The ones he's got have been in the shop for a few weeks and it would be several more until I would be able to get them.

I finished my fishless cycle on Sat and I currently have 4 guppies and 2 pitbull plecs swimming happily, I lost one Pitbull, possibly due to pH shock, I was going to get another 4 guppies this weekend and then, all being well get the cories a few weeks later.

By my calcs my 20G will be fully (if not slightly over) stocked with the 8 guppies, 2 pitbulls and 5-6 pandas. (It does have over filtration, the filter is rated up to 250l on my 70l tank so a little overstocked shouldn't be a huge issue)

What do people suggest? Do I risk it and hope they are ok as my LFS chappie says they should be. :/ Do I give up and find something else? :-( Do I leave the tank under stocked for 6 months and add the cories then? :blink:

[edit]edited for clarity

From my experience, pandas are pretty hardy. I've only had one panda death in years, and that's only because he was sick when I got him. They tolerate temperature flucuations as well as nitrate & ammonia problems... well, mine do. I'm not a super expert, but I do have a panda who I've had for almost 2 years and he's lived through everything from soap in the tank to mass fish death. I'd get 3 maybe, and see how they do. If they seem healthy, I'd add the rest in. :nod: Wait for Inchworm, she's the cory expert.

Hi Egmel

I had Cory Panda and died in the past, but I wouldn't give up on them.

I believed that Panda is not travel well from sources to fish shop. But if they are survive in LFS for a few week they should be fine.

My Cory's died because I bought them right after they arrive in the LFS, and they don't have time to settle down from one place and has to remove to other place. Now my pandas are Happy even I change water right from the Tap with out water condition.[25% water change] they pretty hardy.

Since the Panda is in your LFS for a few weeks, your should give them try. Select the one swimming fast and hard to catch [active fish].

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back