To Cycle A Larger Tank...

reeeedfish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
298
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I owuld like to cycle my 55 with something other than the rather small zebra danios. Would giant danios work? Anything else? I already know all about cycling after cycling (fish in) my 20 gallon.
 
Why not do a fishless cycle? A fishless cycle is WAY easier and WAY less stressful on you! Have a read about it in the beginners section in the New to Hobby.

-FHM
 
How old are they....? -.- If they are young, like me, then, chances are that they are not allowed to do fishless cycling using ammonia and that such.... I told my Mom that when I get a 30-gallon (hopefully) that I wanted to do a fishless cycle and she went on here and read all about it and when she was finished her only reply to me about it was, "NO."

I have a little 8-year-old sister who is a bit too friendly with my tanks and my fish stuff, and an 11-year-old sister who doesn't like it and in a fit of rage (because she's, like, the meanest and moodiest in the *HOUSE*) might accidentally destroy something, fishless cycling is *NOT* the way to go as I don't want either of them poisoned or even killed by ammonia, and I would prefer not to have an ammonia burn or, even worse, a *HOLE* in the floor due to ammonia, thank you very much. -.-;
 
How old are they....? -.- If they are young, like me, then, chances are that they are not allowed to do fishless cycling using ammonia and that such.... I told my Mom that when I get a 30-gallon (hopefully) that I wanted to do a fishless cycle and she went on here and read all about it and when she was finished her only reply to me about it was, "NO."

I have a little 8-year-old sister who is a bit too friendly with my tanks and my fish stuff, and an 11-year-old sister who doesn't like it and in a fit of rage (because she's, like, the meanest and moodiest in the *HOUSE*) might accidentally destroy something, fishless cycling is *NOT* the way to go as I don't want either of them poisoned or even killed by ammonia, and I would prefer not to have an ammonia burn or, even worse, a *HOLE* in the floor due to ammonia, thank you very much. -.-;

? :X I think you need a read in the beginners section about how a fishless cycle works and how the nitrogen cycle operates. In a fishless cycle there are no fish that are exposed to any level of ammonia, hence fishLESS, implying the absents of fish. Not to sound mean or anything, but I think your mom should have a re-read as well, and if she is unsure about it it, ask questions.

If they are young, like me, then, chances are that they are not allowed to do fishless cycling using ammonia and that such....
Fish are not used in a fishless cycle. Fish are only used in a fish-IN cycle, where fish are the prime produces of ammonia. In a fishless cycle, there are no fish, and the ammonia source comes form a bottle, which you can buy at your local hardware store or equivalent. You take that ammonia and add the appropriate amount to the tank to "mimic" the presents of fish; ammonia. Then the cycle can start.

Ask anyone on this forum, and I guarantee that they will say NO to a fish-IN cycle and 100% yes to a fishLESS cycle.

-FHM
 
I see what you mean. Yeah, ammonia is extremely dangerous if not handled properly!

-FHM
 
I've got to make my posts more clear. :lol:

To be quite honest, I'm terrified of poisons and I'm even afraid of using my test kit! :lol: I know, embarrassing, right. ;) If I actually had to handle ammonia, I'd probably end up freaking out. O_O;

Wells.... I think I'll go clean Mr. Wimpy Fish's tank now. I'm due for his weekly cleaning. Sooooooo.... Ta-ta! ^^; XD
 
Of course you could use some media from one of you other tanks to speed your cycling up :good:
 
If you cant use ammonia, get hold of some mature media and chuck a few prawns in a glass (stops bits going everywhere) then submerge it in the tank. Wait a week or two (longer is better, if you wait two weeks, do a 50% water change half way through) and do a ~90% water change less than 24 hours before buying the fish. Then, to be on the safeside, add some Seachem Prime for a few days, or any other product that converts ammonia to ammonium. Over the next two or three weeks, try to do as many 50% water changes as you can fit in, at least a couple of times a week.

The above has always worked for customers I've advised who cant be bothered reading up themselves and dont care about the details. I usually give them a handful of gravel from a tank with an undergravel filter, and a bottle of Tetra Safestart, just because it cant hurt and I want to keep the turnover of that stuff in the shop high, so there's always fresh bottles in that have a better chance of working.
 
If you cant use ammonia, get hold of some mature media and chuck a few prawns in a glass (stops bits going everywhere) then submerge it in the tank. Wait a week or two (longer is better, if you wait two weeks, do a 50% water change half way through) and do a ~90% water change less than 24 hours before buying the fish. Then, to be on the safeside, add some Seachem Prime for a few days, or any other product that converts ammonia to ammonium. Over the next two or three weeks, try to do as many 50% water changes as you can fit in, at least a couple of times a week.

The above has always worked for customers I've advised who cant be bothered reading up themselves and dont care about the details. I usually give them a handful of gravel from a tank with an undergravel filter, and a bottle of Tetra Safestart, just because it cant hurt and I want to keep the turnover of that stuff in the shop high, so there's always fresh bottles in that have a better chance of working.

Will that work with other supplies like... putting a lot of flake in instead of the prawns? If that willl work I'll use your idea! Thanks! also, still, what should my first fish be? I would like some larger ones. :nod:
 
Nope, no ammonia. Sorry. I think I can get some prawns soon but would it help if I added some water from a bottle with rotting flakes and water that looks like milk?
 
I would also reccomend cloning filter media from your other tank, i did this for my new betta tank and it worked well! :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top