Tl-550

CoMan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm very new to the hobby but been following the forum for about 6 months just learning etc.

Around 1 and half months ago I setup my tl550 Using ro water and red sea coral pro salt and placed about 10kgs of live rock with live sand as substrate in. It cycled and I saw a spike in no2 and 3 and watch them decrease over 2 weeks to 0. I then added cuc two turbos two hermits(red legged). I left it another two weeks and with water changes I still had no nitrates etc. I With the advise of my lfs added two ocellaris clowns.They've been going about a week and I know it's early days but they seem happy.

1st q - have I rushed the setup process? I know that marines is all about slowly does it. What's your thoughts?

For filtration I have a skimmer(come back to this later) in chamber 1. In chamber 2 starting from the bottom up I have the following: Live rock rubble, two layers of rowaphos in bags(flattened like pancakes) between filter wool and then carbon in a bag again with filter wool to separate. In 3 is the heater and in 4 sits the return pump and uv.

Any thoughts on this rear setup?

The skimmer does seem to be producing bubbles in the cup but not what I would call the brown gunk most people describe. It's just clear what bubbles that tend to fill the cup with yellowish water. If I turn down the air intake which creates less bubbles I get nothing in the cup at all??

Any help with the skimmer guys? Where should the water line be in the collection cone? And what sort of bubbles should I be getting?

Cheers for Reading this would really like to hear your thoughts on this

CoMan

Hi CoMan,

It doesn't sound as if you rushed things at all. You waited for the tank to cycle properly and then added your CUC and subsequently your fish and if all are doing ok and ammonia, nitrite and nitrates continue to remain within safe parameters then all should be fine.

The setup in the rear of your tank sounds perfectly acceptable too. Rowaphos to absorb phosphates and the carbon to suck up any toxins and help keep the water clear. All good here :good:

With regard to the skimmer, what you should be aiming for are bubbles, like those in a bubble bath, pushing their way out of the top of the skimmer cone. So try and fine tune your air/water mix until you achieve this.

Yeah all sounds good mate :good: . The skimmer that comes with the 550 is rubbish if you ask me its very hard to get the right levels of bubbles, i hope you have more luck than me. Im still messing about with it every other day :shout: , its either to much or not enough, it will do the job but if you can afford a better one then do so. I love the tank though and im learning all the time but another thing to watch out for is the clowns jumping into the back compartments! If you need more advice on the tank im always about but seffie is probably more better qualified than me. :good: .

AK77 and mattyg

first I just wanted to say thanks for the quick replies...I've posted similar stuff on other sites and TBH got loads of views but no replies.

As for the comments and advice cheers very much, I've been really worried that my initial setup was going too well and I was heading for troubled waters so to speak. So a weight off my mind there.

I'll fiddle with the skimmer some more, just got to get that balance. Do you guys know of any potential upgraded skimmers that will slide in that space and do a better job?

I know I have loads to learn but I'm slowly finding out that this hobby is very addictive! But knowledge is key

will keep an eye on my clowns jumping over too!lol

Anyhow thanks loads again.

:hi: CoMan to the saltyside

Sounds like you have done your homework :good: I also started off with the 550, I really like the tank and didn't have any problems with the stock skimmer. it does take a while to bed in and your tank is probably not producing much waste, so there is no surprise that the bubbles are white :good:

I wouldn't have filter floss in the weir at the back - the flow isn't the greatest and nitrates could build up quickly in the floss.

How about starting a journel :fun:

Seffie x

:hi: CoMan to the saltyside

Sounds like you have done your homework :good: I also started off with the 550, I really like the tank and didn't have any problems with the stock skimmer. it does take a while to bed in and your tank is probably not producing much waste, so there is no surprise that the bubbles are white :good:

I wouldn't have filter floss in the weir at the back - the flow isn't the greatest and nitrates could build up quickly in the floss.

How about starting a journel :fun:

Seffie x

Seffie
I'll keep going with stock skimmer at the mo then and see if I can fine tune it.

With regard to the filter floss. If I take it out will the rowa phos be ok just sitting on the live rock in it's bags with the carbon on top? How is yours set up if I may ask?

The journel sounds like a good idea only thing is i don't have a pc and doing this on my iPhone. Guess I could still try. The wife thinks I'm on my phone too much as it is lol!

The rowaphos should be fine. All it requires is that the water be able to flow through it to agitate the granuels inside. This helps to remove the phosphates from the water.

The journel sounds like a good idea only thing is i don't have a pc and doing this on my iPhone. Guess I could still try. The wife thinks I'm on my phone too much as it is lol!

I don't have the 550 any more, upgraded to a five footer - this hobby is addictive :lol:

But when I did, it was set up the same as yours but without the floss.

Come on, give it a try on the iphone :D maybe yours would be the first, woo hoo

Seffie x

The rowaphos should be fine. All it requires is that the water be able to flow through it to agitate the granuels inside. This helps to remove the phosphates from the water.
Ok I'll do it now. Cheers

I don't have the 550 any more, upgraded to a five footer - this hobby is addictive :lol:

But when I did, it was set up the same as yours but without the floss.

Come on, give it a try on the iphone :D maybe yours would be the first, woo hoo

Seffie x

ok I'll have a go later but my thumbs will fall off lol

Most reactions

Back