Timers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my frustrations here...

I have my lights on a timer, and everytime I do a large water change, I switch everything off, from the socket I have an extension forvthe tank plugged into.

This means I have to reset the timer everytime since it stops while doing a change...

Grr

i was gonna say if you just unplugged the lights etc you can overide on most to just switch the lights off but leave power to the timer thats what i do

I could but the extension is nicely hidden behind the tank... So it's always easier to just switch the main plug.

But then I have to pull it all out anyway.....

I have the extension hidden under the tank. The timer is on one socket while the rest err... aren't. Pull the filter and the thermo plug and switch off the on switch on the timer. I used to have a digital timer - but switched to a mechanical one for that reason. They're so easy to swith off without stuffinf up all the settings.

You can get one of those extension leads which has individual on/off switches for each socket. Flicking switches is easier than pulling the plugs :)

Electrics are fairly simple. I may rig up an extension lead, and timer with a maintenance switch which can be fitted flush to the side of the stand so I can just flick the switch so it turns off the filter and heater and lights but leaves power to the timer...

or put the lights/timer on a seperate extension? which is a lot easier lol

No other sockets available...

Plus I don't mind putting in effort if it makes things easier in future.

And it's not that hard. And I have a few electric spares lying around.

just run some flex (with plug) from the existing extention then female on the end and put on on the side of the tank job done

Why don't you use electronic timers?

I use these from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9822911.htm

You can leave them off for days and the time and timer settings stay set fine...

I use these from Argos:

http://www.argos.co....ber/9822911.htm

You can leave them off for days and the time and timer settings stay set fine...

just what i was going to say! :hyper: kinda obvious really :rolleyes:
or, and you need to do something here, how about resetting the time after you change the water? most (all?) have a, simple dial.
having two cannisters, i only switch the heater off (even though a 30% change, gets nowhere near the "heater" redline)

I only thought I'd share my frustration.

Regular changes aren't an issue since I can leave everything running, and just use the normal switch on lights... I can do up to 30% that way. It's just when I do a major change like yesterday since I was rescaping. Then I forget about it. Then I'm sitting down in the morning wondering why the lights haven't come on yet...

I use these from Argos:

http://www.argos.co....ber/9822911.htm

Yep, I have something similar from homebase, they have internal batteries that charge from the mains when plugged in, so when off the settings remain...well worth it, I think it was a twin pack for £15...a little bit expensive but they do the job nicely.

The best thing I find with the electronic timers is that if there is a powercut or anything, when the power comes back everything returns to how it is supposed to be. No running around, pulling out cupboards and what-not to reset all the timers :) (and of course it allows me to have my tanks in 'sync' with each other :) - lol )

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back