Tiger barb behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ben2522

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, iv posted before thank you for the help with that, another question regarding the tiger barbs I got 2 days ago.

the tiger barbs appear to headstand very regularly around this group of plants and wood, Java moss and not sure on the others. Anyone shed some light on this? All perimeters ideal. Temp 27 degrees ish.

Ivdone some reading and it suggests breeding but I kind of doubt it. So much conflicting info. See image below of typical situation I mention above. They sleep at the other end of the tank. 55 gal. From what I can tell, there is one large male and 4 female. Hard to tell though.

also and update the little orange platy is very much part of this group. They even seem to like it lol, spend all day together and the platy sleeps alone in another place. When it’s on it’s ownor sleeping they go and pick it up together for the day..can’t find anything about this anywhere.

0141B56B-8FD3-4E3B-B47F-FA3B26EBE50D.jpeg

BEFBF2FD-8D08-4761-9166-F43DA030C928.jpeg

Hi, how many gallons is your tank?
Ideal can mean different things to different people, what are you exact numbers for the parameters?
Do you only have the 5? Tiger barbs become very aggressive if kept in groups of less than 8-10 (12+ is ideal)

You
Hi, how many gallons is your tank?
Ideal can mean different things to different people, ewhat are you exact numbers for the parameters?
Do you only have the 5? Tiger barbs become very aggressive if kept in groups of less than 8-10 (12+ is ideal)
l
Hi, iv replies on the wrong thread. I will tag you in the right one about these fish.

When dealing with the same tank of fish, please try to use the same thread. You currently have 3 threads going about these fish and it is hard to keep track of what is going on. If you have one thread, we can look back at what has been written and things are easier to follow.

-------------------
The tiger barbs swimming/ hovering on an angle can be from air they ingested when feeding. Tiger barbs tend to ingest air when they are eating dry foods from the surface and this can cause them to float around until they fart the air out. Yes, fish do fart. When the air has been released, the fish swim normally again.

It is not breeding behaviour. Male tiger barbs develop red lips when in breeding condition. Females get fat.

The fish could also be picking at algae or looking for food in the plants.

Try feeding the fish on frozen (but defrosted) foods like prawn, fish, squid, brineshrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc. The frozen food will give them a chance to eat without taking in air and it might help.

Feed the fish 3 times a day for a couple of weeks to help build them up physically. You can give them flakes as well as frozen food but try to make most of their food frozen or live.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back