Those Who Have No Ears.....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
This time it was serious..... My concuction of wires into single plugs really gave me a jolt tonight like I've never experienced.....

I am used to the periodic jab up the spine and consider it inherent with the hobby, but after tonight.... I feel obliged to switch off all electrical appliances at the main switch AND unplug all connections to any tank I'm working on.....

Whilst water changing, one of the neon lights went off, so I merely pressed the plug in deeper to make better contact.......It did..... The earth wire is connected at the 3 point plug, but cut off at the light itself.... I saw visions from my childhood days...

Less than 8 months ago, I paid a "pro" an arm & a leg to do my wiring, ... Maybe I should just go back & do it my way... it hurts less.
 
lol i had a little buzz a couple of weeks ago whilst pushing the plug back in....
 
Just a few questions to satisfy my amateur electrician curiosity. What sort of electrical system do you run, volts, hz, volts to the main box & to the outlets? Is it more like a UK system or a US system?

I do most of my own electrical work, I'm lucky enough to have electricians in the family who I've worked with and can consult for the more technical aspects. We've rewired a few houses, including my own. I'm another one that does that sort of thing myself, but have resources to fall back on when the going gets tough. The pro's laugh at my pipe bending skills, it's up to code & legal, but they consider bending an art form, mine is closer to finger paint.

Do look into ground fault interrupters, they come as breakers, outlets, or even devices that go between the outlet and the device you plug in. These sense an imbalance in the line, and pop like a breaker in milliseconds.

I live in steel toe boots, year round, I'm used to them due to my occupation. They're electrical hazard rated, it would take more than household current in a wet environment to ground out. Keep an eye on your footwear in a wet environment, a hand to foot zap can take you out of the picture.

They sell power bus strips with more than 5 or 6 outlets, metal encased with a built in breaker, though shipping from the US to your location might be a problem. http://www.jehmco.com/html/power_bus_strips.html I absolutely love these, and have a few in my fishroom, mounted above tanks.

The wiring problem might not be the pro you hired, it might be the devices being used. A humid environment is tough on electrical equipment, add in the possibility that the metals making contact may be of two different types and you are begging for corrosion & deterioration. Periodic inspection is a wise idea, cleaning it up with a little sandpaper when the power is disconnected when needed.
 
Just a few questions to satisfy my amateur electrician curiosity. What sort of electrical system do you run, volts, hz, volts to the main box & to the outlets? Is it more like a UK system or a US system?

Just there already, you've lost me...I know there is a blue wire a brown wire and then the green/yellow is earth.... :lol:....

We run on 220 volts... I am (always) barefooted, & the floor is more likely to be wet than dry.... I do not mind the periodic jab, which is commen, but this afternoon... I'm glad to be talking to you.
 
i didnt switch of the extension cable at the mains...

1 of the pics got stuck, so i opened it up and i literally flew back and my arm was buzzing :'(
 
http://www.np.edu.sg/ss/safety/precautions...s/electric1.jpg

Without a doubt get ground fault outlets. You seem to have a handle on the wiring at the outlet, swapping them out is an easy deal. Make sure to kill the power at the box.

I've gotten zapped more than enough times working in a live box. Only put one hand at a time in the box, make sure that you are not grounded in any way. You'll get zapped across one hand at the worst. The worst is a cross body current, where it passes through the chest. Ventricular fibrillation can occur, if it does you're a goner unless someone is standing by with a defibrillator. These are expensive, good shoes are cheaper & hurt less.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top