Ouch!.... Shocking

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
An inherent "progression" from being an amateur ichtiologist is to become an expert electrical engineer with all the additions where every new tank's heaters, lights, pumps, filters etc. are connected and interconnected to become a webb of wires leading to the same outlet, which would make any professional faint.

Now I'm not sure if it's my fault, but some of my tanks dare not be approached with bare feet if you're gonna put your hand in there........ mostly seem to be related to the submersible electrical filter as when I switch them off, I don't get shocked.

My question is..... If I get jolted to the extent that I see bright stars at the crown of my head, how is it then that my fish occupants shows no sign of panic living inside the live wire?? Are submersible filters prone to wear out and become hazardous??
 
I would replace them. That happens to my pond every now and then, the fish and turtle do not seem to be affected, but that could be because there is no ground for them?
 
exactly. For el;ectricity to flow, there has to a potential difference. When you put your hand in the tank and your bare feet touch the ground, there is a potential difference formed and hence electrons flow. When the fish swim in the water, they are not ground so there is no potential formed.

I would def replace whatever equiptment you believe is doing this... you could seriously hurt yourself or a loved one.... I would recommend looking at getting estimates from a licensed electrician to add an additional breaker and outlet for half of your equiptment if there is really that much. It may a few pennies up front, but it can save you tons later in medical bills or total rewiring if you fry the current wiring :good:
 
6 x 3ft tanks + 12 x 24" tanks + 1 x heated 4ft x 4ft x 3ft deep pond + 15 x 18" tanks and 6 home made 60l tanks feeding from two main supplies with a christmas tree of extensions & double plugs. Power never trips, so I assume this is ok.
 
Have an electrcian come in and look at it and watch his jaw drop... haha

I would look into getting additional outlets or a plug strip added to this tank room. It'll be def worth the money seeing how your obv very committed to fish keeping. I would think the fact that your getting electrocuted might have concerned you.. but that "christms tree" needs to be fixed IMO.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top