I Was Shocked!

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I cannot count on both my hands the number of times I've been jabbed by anything from little tingles running up my arm to violent blows which end up as an explosion in your head..... This morning was the last straw.... absolutely knocked me to my knees, and it was'nt in prayer....

I am my own (worst) electrician & know very little about green, blue and brown wires.... It's trial and error, and I simply re-adjust until it works. My own 4kW "homemade" heater (modified geyser element) bit me this morning after about 3 years' faithful operation....

I was so confident that it could not be my design being the root of the problem, that I switched the power off and removed the submersible filter thinking that it was deffo the problem... After power on, I put my hand in there again, positive that the source of the problem was removed... biiiggg mistake..... (This time, the main switch even tripped by itself) I think I am now immune to electrical shock.

I've subsequently removed all homemade contraptions in all tanks and will get the qualified electricians out on Monday to (once again) rewire my stands and set-up..... I'll also insist on seeing his papers.
 
you need to be really careful my hubby hates anything to do with electrics and plumbing..... :good:
 
thank god your still here to tell us about it! oh Ludwig, please dont touch anything untill the electrican has been out to you.
shelagh xxxx
 
I will wire stuff myself and be happy its not going to fail but have had my fair share of shocks some buy pure mistake others from unknown bad wiring. But my motto is if your not sure get a man (or woman) to do it for you.

There are a few areas i will not touch as its safer not to.

Glad your alive to tell the story and im also curious... how are the fish....
 
If you got shocked, did the fish?

the fish would only get a shock if there was a current to earth. If you stick a live wire in the tank the whole body of water from the tank would be raised so therefore it is (to some extent) like a bird sitting on a HV wire. As soon as the OP put his hand in the tank then there would have been a flow to earth which would equal a potential difference of voltage in water which may have been felt by the fish at that point!!

Is it not stressed in this hobby to always protect yourself with an RCD? It won't protect you from a shock but it could very easily save your life!!

OP you are lucky maybe it is time to consign the home brews to experience...

BTW it is always the brown wire you have to look out for but to be safe treat 'em all with absolute respect!
 
What is this green, brown, and blue nonsense? Black, white, and red are what civilized people use. :P

Seriously though, I've had enough stray voltage course through my body during all my years of home improvement that it takes a serious zap to get my attention, like grabbing both terminals on a 220 volt socket... that was fun.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, awesome things.

I should probably get some.
 
Fish can get bent spines but stray voltage in a tank.
Don't mess around with things you don't understand get a electrician
Life to pressures.
 
Always use rcd's where water is involved. They cut off so quick before you get a jolt ,that could do you serious damage.
 
OK!!... So there....... I don't trust the work of a qualified electrician either.... They've been around to check out the total circuit and reported that everything is in order..... This evening.... ZAP!!! from a submerged filter.... and it cost me an arm & a leg for them to check out.... & all he did was to approve all of my amateur d.i.y.......Maybe, I should just start wearing rubber shoes when I work with the fishies....
 
The filter faulty is it still under warranty.
Always turn electric socket of when doing anything in the tank.
 
The filter faulty is it still under warranty.
Always turn electric socket of when doing anything in the tank.


Don't think I possess a submersible less than about six years old... Have about 24 of 'em in different tanks.. (oldest about 11 years,)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top