This Really Annoys Me!

Most petstores probably get money back for dead fish.... pretty sure I've read here from people who can confirm that.
We were at Petsmart a few weeks ago, and the employees were writing down and removing all of the dead fish, and I'm guessing it's b/c they'll be given money back for them. So no, the petstores aren't really losing anything for the fish that die.
Like rabbut said in their post, it's not to get a refund on, it's to keep inventory. It just keeps track of where all the fish went once they get to the store (sold, died, etc). That's how they know how many to order next time around. It's a very big deal when we lose fish at our store, as we can lose a lot of money that way. I work at Petsmart and it's getting annoying when I hear about how bad they are. It's not easy trying to take care of hundreds of fish every day, including all the other animals and customers. Things happen and if there is a disease, we quarantine. It's not complete lack of care there.


Ah, alrighty....
I know that I have heard some people say that some places get money back though. If I weren't so lazy I'd try to dig up a thread heh... not that it matters though :P Point was just that the stores aren't really losing anything... or uh.. something :D
 
Most petstores probably get money back for dead fish.... pretty sure I've read here from people who can confirm that.
We were at Petsmart a few weeks ago, and the employees were writing down and removing all of the dead fish, and I'm guessing it's b/c they'll be given money back for them. So no, the petstores aren't really losing anything for the fish that die.
Like rabbut said in their post, it's not to get a refund on, it's to keep inventory. It just keeps track of where all the fish went once they get to the store (sold, died, etc). That's how they know how many to order next time around. It's a very big deal when we lose fish at our store, as we can lose a lot of money that way. I work at Petsmart and it's getting annoying when I hear about how bad they are. It's not easy trying to take care of hundreds of fish every day, including all the other animals and customers. Things happen and if there is a disease, we quarantine. It's not complete lack of care there.


Ah, alrighty....
I know that I have heard some people say that some places get money back though. If I weren't so lazy I'd try to dig up a thread heh... not that it matters though :P Point was just that the stores aren't really losing anything... or uh.. something :D
I wasn't having a go at you, I just understand what it's like to work at a Petsmart store. No worries. :P
 
I think it's cruel, why change something that is beautiful in the first place - just to make money, people think 'just because they are fish' but they hurt too! I feel bad for them, and someone should stand up for them!!!
 
its ####ed, proper ####ed. If only i could meet the ####s that do this.. And how people think this is ok when they know the process really pisses me off. This subject never fails to make me furious.
 
its ####ed, proper ####ed. If only i could meet the ####s that do this.. And how people think this is ok when they know the process really pisses me off. This subject never fails to make me furious.

Tense :grr: :grr: :grr:

Dosent bother me too much, its wrong yes. But I am not going to loose sleep over it...
 
i do not agree with the dying of fish at all but really why dont you just quit your job if you feel this way b/c sooner or later your boss will find a roundabout of firing you for affecting his/her trade, there are plenty of ways to get rid of staff without getting done for unfair dismissal.
 
Well, it would be just like when you feed baby chickens to snakes, wouldn't it? I know everyone here loves fish but I don't see how it is really cruel to sell a fish in that state..

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you was saying.

Yes, I don't agree with dying an animal a different colour. If a human was given pigmentation surgery against their own will there would be an outrage, the same should be for animals, no matter how small.
 
Well, it would be just like when you feed baby chickens to snakes, wouldn't it? I know everyone here loves fish but I don't see how it is really cruel to sell a fish in that state..

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you was saying.

Yes, I don't agree with dying an animal a different colour. If a human was given pigmentation surgery against their own will there would be an outrage, the same should be for animals, no matter how small.

Animals are not compared to humans though! I get so tired of these commercials where they want you to give money, adoption, and food for animals While people are mistreaded and are starving in other countries. I mean does it make sense to you?, would you rather save a human baby or a dyed fish?
 
While I'd of course rather help a person than a fish, just because something wrong is hapening to people doesn't make wrong to animals right. As a matter of fact, it's just as wrong, for the simple reason that it's wrong!
 
i work in a fish store and they sell dyed parrot fish grr! i have writen a petition and got 2000 signatures and have sent it to my local MP. i have sed to my manager that we stop stocking these fish, or he looks for another assistant that doesnt care about the welfare of the fish. this really annoys me and i want it to stop . . . FULL STOP. NPCF national prevention of cruelty to fish. does this bother anyone else


Thank you so much for bringing up this topic.
Fish are among the most dependent, helpless pets most of us could ever own, and engaging in such practices becomes even more reprehensible, the more vulnerable the victim is.

Even if any person involved lacks the human capacity to care about the health and sufferings of the fish - it's undeniably fraudulant, selling a fish as a whatever brightly coloured creature, knowing this 'selling point' will wear off shortly (assuming the poor thing lives that long,) and therefore selling these poisoned, stressed, unhealthy animals under false pretences, as the buyer will naturally assume a healthy purchase retaining such colours is being conducted.
People (unless conducting rescues) don't knowingly buy damaged and potentially dying ornamental pets who will in any event promptly lose the ornamental appearance for which they were bought: fish are typically bought for appearance rather than companionship, etc.

Perhaps if this was phrased this way to those uncaringly selling dyed fish, as engaging in a fraud by trafficing in living creatures damaged to produce such a transient effect, self-interest would step in where conscience failed.

Edit: What jourdy288 said!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top