This Really Annoys Me!

Truck

UKAPS
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
12,999
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
i work in a fish store and they sell dyed parrot fish grr! i have writen a petition and got 2000 signatures and have sent it to my local MP. i have sed to my manager that we stop stocking these fish, or he looks for another assistant that doesnt care about the welfare of the fish. this really annoys me and i want it to stop . . . FULL STOP. NPCF national prevention of cruelty to fish. does this bother anyone else
 
I'm thinking don't bump a thread after 10 mins and you missed society from the name of your club surely it should be NSPCF?
 
Well, it would be just like when you feed baby chickens to snakes, wouldn't it? I know everyone here loves fish but I don't see how it is really cruel to sell a fish in that state..
 
Yes, many aspects of my job at my LFS bother me also. I have made the point to my manager on many occasions. There are some things I just don't do or places with customers I won't go when asked by my manager/the shop owner. I can cope with selling most "miracle cures" like bacteria in the bottle porducts (Don't go there with pH adjusting chemicals, in fact I actively advise against those...) and will always tell customers about fishless cycling when they inquire about how to set up a tank, and goldfish sizes when asked if a bold would be suitable for a goldfish long-term...

In theory it is a good idea to set-up such a society, but I think you would struggle to get most places to take you seriously...

All the best
Rabbut
 
so a fish that has been tatooed and or injected with dye. how would you feel its plain cruel

thank you rabbut for your support. i also agree with these bacteria miracles. my manager tells me to talk aload of bull. but i tell the truth i tell every customer my opinion and hand down my knowledge
 
Just make a point of talking to everyone who looks at the dyed parrots, and tell them that exactly how they are coloured - explain that the colours will be gone in 3 months, and that the fish will die young.

When your boss notices the fish don't sell, he might stop stocking them.
 
Don't believe in keeping fish in tanks at all now.
I think its a selfish hobby myself but that just my opinion.
Sadly it's a shame when fish are already beatiful and feel the need to dye them.
 
I do wish they would stop selling dyed fish. I've only seen them once and luckily, haven't seen them since. Dying/tattooing a fish and feeding a fish to something else aren't the same...

Are 'glofish' dyed? Or are they genetically altered? They look like zebra danios but are pink or yellow.

Also, I went to petsmart the other day and say they put up new signs by the fish section.
Apparently barbs prefer groups and should be kept with 4 at least (was by the tiger barbs), angelfish prefer to be together and a group of three is alright, a pleco can grow to a foot or 24" and atleast 30 gallons would be enough. These are their 'helpful tips.'

:angry:

Edit: nvm, found my answer on the glofish...
"Why can’t I buy GloFish® fluorescent fish in Australia, Canada, or Europe?
At present, Australia, Canada, and Europe prohibit the marketing of any genetically modified organisms, including our tropical fluorescent zebrafish, until they are cleared through an extremely complex and costly review process."

At least some people are smart. California bans them too.
 
I feel bad for the poor things.
I really feel that more people need to help fish, because they can feel pain, and they can be hurt, just like cats and dogs and things people think are cute.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top