This Just Showed Up In My Tank...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Abyss

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It's about 1" in length.

Don't really know how it got there, I haven't added any plants in over 2 years.

Company for my Gulper Catfish I suppose.

Anyone confirm what type it is?

Thanks.

DSC02636 (Copy).JPG

It's a Malaysian trumpet snail. Where there is one, there is more lol

Yup. I wish my plants had snails. I want some xD

I've got millions of Malaysian trumpet snails if you want some.....

Hmm, interesting. I had MTS years ago, loads of them in my Malawi tank; but I got rid of them all when I removed all substrate from my tank (it's bare bottom now). Perhaps he was in the filter and survived.

You should let it live for surviving. :p Fortunately MTS's need a partner to lay eggs, so if there's only one you wont have anymore.

I put 2 small clown loaches in my 55 gallon snail infested (hundreds of them) tank and 3 days later I could not find one snail. When the loaches get too big I will give them away

Weather loaches will eat them too and won't out grow a 55gl. At least mine does. he ate my assassin snails and I don't have any pest snails in that tank.

lol, adding other fish isn't an option as they'll end up lunch. I'll be a merciful God of Fish...and let him live.
yes.gif

DreamertK said:
You should let it live for surviving.
tongue2.gif
Fortunately MTS's need a partner to lay eggs, so if there's only one you wont have anymore.

I have more!

There's quite a few little tiny ones slurping about now. Are we certain it is a MTS?

Really don't know how to explain this.

From the picture I can't be sure that it is the standard MTS but it certainly is in that family.

I'll try and get a better picture.

I see the big one maybe once a week, but the little ones seem to be multiplying all the time.

Still don't know where they come from. Haven't added plants in over 2 years.

If they are all MTS they are the very devil to remove entirely. I have totally stripped a tank, cleaned every plant and piece of wood and put all the sand and gravel in the sun on concrete ( in our hot Queensland summers no less) for over a week, only to have MTS re-emerge and take over my tank again. Unfortunately it seems even my Pakastani loaches are no match for them, that or the loaches just don't like the taste of MTS and prefer the rams horns snails.
I now am resigned to the fact that every so often especially with my tanks with sand I need to do netting raids through the sand, sifting out the sand and leaving the snails in the net to be disposed of.

Yeah, I can only assume they've been left over from when I had my tank as a Malawi tank.

But it's very weird, as that was years ago, and I haven't seen any in that time before my post above.

If it was only tiny babies left in your substrate that could help explain why it has taken so long for obvious ones to appear back in your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back