Thinking Of A Malawi Set Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah juveniles are all yellow. You would be looking at a max of 3 males i would have thought in your tank. As with the video there will probably end up being 2 dominant ones and 1 that is less dominant. Sub dominant males will take on the females colours but the males will still target them for aggression.

With Saulosi's there is another variety called Coral Red which may be an option for you if you can get them. The females have a more orangey/pinky hue to them.

Adding similar species can lead to cross breeding and unwanted hybrids that are worth zilch, so pick carefully. When you get a larger tank you could go for something like Aulonocara Fire Fish to add some red into the tank. This would also get you a larger fish in the tank with a completely different shape and look.

The tank that finally made me go Malawi was the Blue Lemon Project

Just out of interest, how much were the Saulosi in your LFS?

Yeah juveniles are all yellow. You would be looking at a max of 3 males i would have thought in your tank. As with the video there will probably end up being 2 dominant ones and 1 that is less dominant. Sub dominant males will take on the females colours but the males will still target them for aggression.

With Saulosi's there is another variety called Coral Red which may be an option for you if you can get them. The females have a more orangey/pinky hue to them.

Adding similar species can lead to cross breeding and unwanted hybrids that are worth zilch, so pick carefully. When you get a larger tank you could go for something like Aulonocara Fire Fish to add some red into the tank. This would also get you a larger fish in the tank with a completely different shape and look.

The tank that finally made me go Malawi was the Blue Lemon Project

Just out of interest, how much were the Saulosi in your LFS?
yes they was a orange colour and i could see that some where chaging, 3 males out of 18 thats a very yellow tank lol
i have seen the coral red on classified site, so can you mix them ?

thats a nice looking tank.. :good:

the saulosi's were £8 each a little steep when you need 18 lol
could do with fining them private but if there small could he hard to sex

Yep, lol. That's the going rate. Makes the 10 i got for £5 a bargain i guess. ;)

There was a tank on here (i frget who's it was) who had Demasoni species tank with Apple Snails. The contrast was awesome.

The Red Corals would breed with the normals so the fry would be a mix, you could still sell them as Saulosi though.

If you could source some black sand/fine gravel and black rocks/cobbles then the yellows and blue will really pop.

Yes I was thinking black sub
What rock did you use ? Did you paint the back as well ?

The background is not painted, but i want to as the one i am using is waaaaaaay too shiny.

My rock is weathered limestone. I wanted to use the black cobbles from B&Q, but at £15 a bag i would need a lot. In a 180, 2 bags would probably be enough, especially to start with. You could always add more if needed.

Ok, what size are the rock I guess like size of a house brick so you can make caves ?

Is it best to scape it fully when cycling the filter

Start cycling as soon as you can. You can play about with different rock arrangements whilst this is happening. If you wanted the same stuff as what i have then i could sort you some out if you were ever down this way. Free of charge of course.

The stuff i have is of various sizes which is good really as you can mix it up quite a lot until you're fully happy with the stacks. The stuff from B&Q would be half house brick size probably at a guess.

Just took some new pics of the tanks, just uploading them now. :)

Thanks that would be great you about 90mins away from me will think about that and let you know, I do like the colours of your rock, going to price the river cobbles up as well

I don't mind traveling got to go to hull tomorrow to pick up the tank
Carnt wait for the photos ;)

Lol. Yeah. I have been known to travel stupid distances for things i want too... :rolleyes: You can happily have enough rocks to fill your tank from top to bottom.

Smooth cobbles look great too.

Cheers why have you got so much rock ?
I'm wanting mine like a mound in the middle to nothing at the ends tallest bit in middle half way up the tank

Good luck if you can make head or tail on what I said lol

Your stats arent to bad. The hardness is a little low but If you where going the WC route then id suggest buffering your water slightly but as it is id leave it be, as tampering with your water could cause unnecessary problems. TB Malawis are alot more 'hardy' and can cope in a larger range of conditions. Some limestone in there will help and a bag of coral sand in the external will stablise everything and keep the Ph/ Hardness stable . I cant stress enough Keeping everything stable is much more important but apart from that your ready to start cycling I think. :)

Thanks, I've picked up the tank and filter last night, filter is a tetratec 1200
I'm going to strip the filter and clean it see what the media is like, do you guys run carbon filter in Malawi setup ?
I normally don't.

The tank came with loads of lava rock but I don't like it so going to sell it on
Hopefully tank and filter will be cleaned tonight and water put in tomorrow

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back