Thinking ahead

KentBlokey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So in the future what can i add to my Tank. All that's in there at the moment is 5 Zebra Danios.

It's a 20g community

I don't want Guppies or Tetras. So i was thinking about...

Corydoras
Gouramis
Clown Loaches will get too big, Right?
Coolie Loach

I've heard and read different views on adding Angel Fish, could anyone fill me in in this please?

Will this be OK? and can you recommend me anything else please.

yeah, go with the kuhlis [coolies], not the clowns as they would get too big. they are such fun little fish, get at least three so you can enjoy their antics.

Cories and khulies would be awesome, and would take care of your bottom layer. If you're keeping the danios round it off to six, and I'm not sure about the others. But yeah, clown loaches get mighty big...

I agree with khulies and cories... both are great fish. Make sure you have at least four cories of the same species. If you want to add anything else after 3 khulies, 4 cories and 5 zebra danios, you'll have to limit the cories to one species.

Clown loaches grow to 12 inches and should be kept in groups. They are also very active fish and need to be kept with fish of a similar size. Deffinately not a choice for a 20 gallon (or most other tanks for that matter) tank.

Angels only get to about 5 inches but they need a tank that is at least 30 gallons and prefferably one 18" tall because of their finnage.

Gouramies are an option but choosing the right one can be tricky. They vary greatly in character and even individuals within the same species can be very very different in nature.

I would suggest a pearl gourami OR a three-spot (blue, opaline, gold etc.). Only one though, to limit aggression. Another option is a dwarf gourami (many varieties exist - all are colisa lalia). You could put up to 2 males in a 20 gallon without any serious aggression. You most likely won't be finding any females. However, dwarf gouramies can be rather fragile due to excessive in-breeding. By far the best choice in your circumstances would be the honey gouramies (colisa sota/chunae). Don't confuse them with the dwarf gourami variety, the 'honey dwarf gourami' (colisa lalia). These are hardier but just as peaceful and you could keep several males and females (maybe 2 males and 3 females). This large number would make your tank over-stocked, however, so watch your nitrates to determine just how many you can keep (nitrates should remain below 40 ppm or just above your tap's levels with only one weekly partial water change).

Thanks alot for your advice, much appreciated.

I think I will go for the Cories and khulies to start with and then have a good think about what else to add.

BTW. I did have 6 Danios. 1 vanished, don't know where, don't know how :dunno:

Also, the Corries i am thinking about are...Corydoras paleatus.

And here's the Tansk in you're interested
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=65651

Umm... have you checked the floor for the missing danio? From my own experience, I can tell you that even the tiniest hole can become the way to suicide for a little danio...

Edit: peppered cories are a fine choice :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back