Thinking about venturing into Killis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishkeeperLinz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm in the planning stages of Tank 3, and I've been looking into getting killifish, as they're something completely different. I'm specifically looking into F. Gardneri as from what I've read, they're more suited to my water chemistry (pH is about neutral, but my water's soft, KH 2° GH 4--5°)

I'm thinking of making Tank 3 a nano tank, how big would the tank have to be for a trio (or more) of these? Would 40-45ltr be too small?

Thanks in advance.

All killifish like soft water and a neutral pH is fine for them.

I bred all my killifish in a tank that was 18 inches long x 10 inches wide x 12 inches high.
I had lots of Java Moss and Water Sprite in the tank.
There was a thin layer of brown gravel on the bottom, along with an air operated corner sponge filter.

The fish were fed 3-5 times a day with a variety of different dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods. I did a big water change once a week and scooped the babies out as they appeared. The babies would be swimming around the surface among the Water Sprite.

I normally had 2-10 adult fish in each tank, depending on how many I could buy at the time. Some species I only managed to get a single pair, but some other species I got 4 or 5 prs.

With killifish you normally get lots of male fish if you breed and rear them in water with a pH above 7.0. If you want more females, breed them in water with a pH below 7.0. Most of mine were kept in water with a GH below 50ppm but a pH above 7.6 and I got about 90% male offspring.

All killifish like soft water and a neutral pH is fine for them.

I bred all my killifish in a tank that was 18 inches long x 10 inches wide x 12 inches high.
I had lots of Java Moss and Water Sprite in the tank.
There was a thin layer of brown gravel on the bottom, along with an air operated corner sponge filter.

The fish were fed 3-5 times a day with a variety of different dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods. I did a big water change once a week and scooped the babies out as they appeared. The babies would be swimming around the surface among the Water Sprite.

I normally had 2-10 adult fish in each tank, depending on how many I could buy at the time. Some species I only managed to get a single pair, but some other species I got 4 or 5 prs.

With killifish you normally get lots of male fish if you breed and rear them in water with a pH above 7.0. If you want more females, breed them in water with a pH below 7.0. Most of mine were kept in water with a GH below 50ppm but a pH above 7.6 and I got about 90% male offspring.

This is great, @Colin_T , thanks.

So I could go for Australis instead, if I chose? How many Australis or Gardneri would you recommend in a tank 35-40ltrs?

All Aphyosemion killifish get treated the same way.

I don't know what your tank dimensions are.

Do you want to breed them or do you want a tank with a few males showing off?

All Aphyosemion killifish get treated the same way.

I don't know what your tank dimensions are.

Do you want to breed them or do you want a tank with a few males showing off?

Neither do I - I haven't got it yet. :lol: :p. But I'm thinking roughly 18x12x12 inches.

I'd never thought about just getting a few males. I'm more experienced with cichlids and Betta Splendens, where obviously, more than 1 male are either big No Nos, or need tanks larger than mine, so keeping more than 1 male together never entered my head, but I'm guessing a tank of males would have to be larger than the tank I intend to get?

You could have up to 10 of the smaller or 6 of the bigger Aphyosemion in an 18x12x12 inch tank. Alternatively go for a 24 x12x12 inch tank. It will give you more room further down the track if you want something else.

A 24x12x12 (or bigger) would be better for a group of assorted males.

You could have up to 10 of the smaller or 6 of the bigger Aphyosemion in an 18x12x12 inch tank. Alternatively go for a 24 x12x12 inch tank. It will give you more room further down the track if you want something else.

A 24x12x12 (or bigger) would be better for a group of assorted males.

That's great, thanks. I'll keep you informed.

OK, I've decided I'm going to go for the smaller tank, 18x12x12. I'm thinking of doing something a bit different to my other 2, and going for lava rock or dragon stone, or a fake ornament as a centrepiece - I haven't decided which yet. It'll be heavily planted - in fact, I'm seriously considering trying a filterless method and relying on the plants to deal with the ammonia the fish produce (YouTube has a lot to answer for).

If I do go down this route, I'll be limiting the stocking to 3 fish. At least initially.

To any newbies who comes across this and are thinking of doing the same - it's not something I'd recommend to beginners, as the learning curve is steep enough.

Gonna keep an eye on your progress here. The filterless method is something I've been tempted to try for a while but, frankly, lacked the fortitude to pull the trigger on it as of yet. Hopefully it goes well for you and your success spurs me onto trying it ha.

I decided to really get into Killifish last fall. It's been a real learning experience and lots of fun too. I have Fundulopanchax gardneri "Rayfield", Pachypanchax playfairii and Aplocheilus linneatus. I have picked eggs from mops and raised fry and I have also had fry appear wild in the tank with the parents. Fundulopanchax species are notorious for harassing and killing their females. The cure for that is to either separate the sexes, reintroducing them just prior to spawning or to have a lot of them. Have at least two males to five females to spread the aggression. The males will spar over the females or else chase around like the randy little sods they are. Thank you for that phrase @Colin_T . My Golden Wonder Aplocheilus linneatus are a whole other story. Very peaceful and super easy to breed. My magnificent male is way mellow toward his females. If he had pajamas he'd be Hugh Hefner.

I decided to really get into Killifish last fall. It's been a real learning experience and lots of fun too. I have Fundulopanchax gardneri "Rayfield", Pachypanchax playfairii and Aplocheilus linneatus. I have picked eggs from mops and raised fry and I have also had fry appear wild in the tank with the parents. Fundulopanchax species are notorious for harassing and killing their females. The cure for that is to either separate the sexes, reintroducing them just prior to spawning or to have a lot of them. Have at least two males to five females to spread the aggression. The males will spar over the females or else chase around like the randy little sods they are. Thank you for that phrase @Colin_T . My Golden Wonder Aplocheilus linneatus are a whole other story. Very peaceful and super easy to breed. My magnificent male is way mellow toward his females. If he had pajamas he'd be Hugh Hefner.
Welcome back @Back in the fold I thought you were gone again

This is a massive help. Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back