Thinking about venturing into Killis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Glad to be able to help @FishkeeperLinz . Something else for you to think about is joining the American Killifish Association. I did and it was a great help to me. Well worth the $35 dollars annual dues. Right now they are offering a free starter pair for new members for shipping cost only. It's usually gardneri or Australe's. But if you can afford it get three pairs and watch them like a hawk.

I've bitten the bullet, and ordered some A. Australe eggs from Ebay, from a seller with good feedback. Received confirmation that they've been sent. :yahoo:

I'm getting a rearing tank today, and ordering their destination tank on Friday. :kana:. This might change my plan to go filterless/Walstad, but we'll see. I've read the sticky on care and breeding them.

Super excited. . . As evidenced by the fact that I'm typing this at 05:14. :blush:

@FishkeeperLinz Have you hatched out Killie eggs before ? When you get your eggs put them in something small enough to watch them close and keep them at about 75 degrees if you can. Have microworms and freshly hatched baby brine shrimp on hand and ready to go. At first, raise them in a small tank to concentrate the food. A 2 1/2 gallon is perfect. Do frequent water changes. You can start to breathe easier once you get them to three weeks old. The fry grow quickly under good conditions. If you have been furnished with the collection date you can expect them to hatch in from 12 to 20 days of that date. Good luck . Australe are very pretty fish.

@FishkeeperLinz Have you hatched out Killie eggs before ? When you get your eggs put them in something small enough to watch them close and keep them at about 75 degrees if you can. Have microworms and freshly hatched baby brine shrimp on hand and ready to go. At first, raise them in a small tank to concentrate the food. A 2 1/2 gallon is perfect. Do frequent water changes. You can start to breathe easier once you get them to three weeks old. The fry grow quickly under good conditions. If you have been furnished with the collection date you can expect them to hatch in from 12 to 20 days of that date. Good luck . Australe are very pretty fish.

No, I haven't hatched, or kept killifish before.

Thanks for the advice (and the good luck wishes). :)

Tank ordered.

In the end I went for a 53ltr tall - 18×12×15" (LxWxH).

No sign of the eggs yet, but they're coming from Malta, and tracking shows that they're in the country (UK - not Malta :p ), so I suspect they're being held at Customs.

@FishkeeperLinz I hope you get them. I belong to the American Killifish Association and some people are reporting that things coming out of Europe are a bit slow and unreliable. If you decide to try again (and I hope you do) there is an AKA member on Aquabid who is extremely knowledgable , helpful and totally reliable. He is based in Paducah Kentucky and calls himself fishguy1955. Look up his website for more information. Fishguys Place. I have dealt with him on live food orders and I am very happy. He has nearly anything you might want.

@FishkeeperLinz I hope you get them. I belong to the American Killifish Association and some people are reporting that things coming out of Europe are a bit slow and unreliable. If you decide to try again (and I hope you do) there is an AKA member on Aquabid who is extremely knowledgable , helpful and totally reliable. He is based in Paducah Kentucky and calls himself fishguy1955. Look up his website for more information. Fishguys Place. I have dealt with him on live food orders and I am very happy. He has nearly anything you might want.
Wow, you’re in a Killifish Association??? Can I ask you what you’re doing for a job?

Thank you, so do I. But I'm in the UK. Not sure Fishguy's killi eggs would arrive any sooner.

It won't put me off, but it'll probably be another 4 weeks/a month before I can try again.

They're here. Breeder's used the peat moss method and they arrived in a small measuring cup. I figured I couldn't monitor all the eggs that way, so I've tipped them into a container and misted them with a spray bottle as I heard the peat has to be kept damp?

The excitement's turned to sheer nerves. :eek:

The breeder's also included a small tub of live food.

If the eggs have been in peat for any length of time, they should hatch as soon as they are put in water. See of you can find an eggs and see if it has developed. If it has, put the peat and eggs into a container of tank water and in a few hours there should be babies.

If the eggs have been in peat for any length of time, they should hatch as soon as they are put in water. See of you can find an eggs and see if it has developed. If it has, put the peat and eggs into a container of tank water and in a few hours there should be babies.

OK, thanks.

Stupid question, how will I know if they're fully developed? Is it as simple as seeing the fry inside the eggs? I feel I should know this, but I don't. ????

They've been in transit for 8 days and came with the date 13/6, which I assumed is/was the estimated hatching date?

The developed eggs will be primarily black and you should be able to see the fish's eyes and body.

Normally you put the date they were laid not an estimated hatch date. Contact the supplier and see what that date means. And ask them for directions about hatching the eggs.

I'm assuming they are Nothobranchius killifish eggs?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back