Think I Spooked my Betta with A New Net

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onefieshcedrick

Reaction score
Beginner betta keeper here- I replaced my dip net today with a different model after it broke with this one. However, my betta's kind of scared of it and swims away in a panic every time I put the net in the tank. In addition, I struggle to get him out of it into a different container while I clean his tank (he clings to the net and squirms) and it makes me worry (possibly irrationally) that I'm hurting him or something. I ended up just leaving him in the tank, where he stayed hugging the substrate for a good 5 minutes. Is this normal? If not, any advice as to how I can familiarize him with the dip net? Any tips would be great!

I would try to reduce the use of the net on him if possible; it is stressful for him and you could harm him if you're not careful. You can usually leave him in the tank while you clean, or you can guide him into a container or large cup and scoop him out more gently maybe. I'm not an expert, but I try to avoid using a net on my betta if I can as their fins are fragile. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

I completley agree with @hansgruber7
I don't remove any of my betta's while cleaning their tanks. I vacuum half of the tank at a time and they seem to move out of the way after an initial investigation of the siphon.
When removing a betta from their tank, it's always better to use a cup than a standard net so that they don't catch and damage their fins. Your betta may be experiencing a bit of shock when being returned to his tank whether it's being poured back in with fast flowing water or the change of temperature.

I remember during my last time around fishkeeping escapades reading to leave a net leaning in the tank for a few days so the fish get used to it. Also made it easier to catch em when reqd.
Seems logical but I’ve no idea how true it is? Anyone?

I remember during my last time around fishkeeping escapades reading to leave a net leaning in the tank for a few days so the fish get used to it. Also made it easier to catch em when reqd.
Seems logical but I’ve no idea how true it is? Anyone?
I've heard this too. Leaving the net in the tank and dropping the food in it at feeding times for a few days to get hard to catch fish used to it to make catching them easier

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll try acclimating him to the net
some photos of him acclimating to the net!
IMG_6129.jpgIMG_6121.jpg

Why not just leave the betta in the tank while you clean it? That's what most of us do. it is much less stressful for the betta than removing him every time you do a water change.
That sounds like an awesome idea, but I'm not sure how I would carry that out since my substrate is actually made of largish rocks that his poops usually fall in between. Any suggestions?

If the substrate is too difficult to clean with him in the tank- and I agree that stuff is going to be going down between the rocks and make it hard to clean properly - then it's for the best to change the substrate. I'm so glad I switched from gravel to sand, just because it's a million times easier to clean.

It will definitely stress your betta out to be removed every water change. Fishes welfare has to come before aesthetics I'm afraid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back