The Worst Thing You Ever Saw In Your Lfs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Respect to the police officers. (here comes the abuse)

Worst i seen is a lfs throwing dead fish on the floor. I know they are dead but didnt look good. There was about 5 dead fish by his feet

I have every respect for the police, but what they did that day was way over the top

Nah i got to say but we are way to soft these days. Little scruffy thief will hopefully have learned his lesson i would of. Well its how i learned as a kid good few slap dont do it again.

Yeah but the screaming kid thing is not confined to fish shops is it.... worst thing I have ever seen in a shop, 100 or so Pangasious, a hand full of Vampire Tetras...., red tailed catfish and a goliath tiger fish.... the Vampires and Goliath were in the same shop, seen too many red tails that I care to remember and though I have seen many Pangasious over single occasions I cant quite get over seeing a full wall of baby ones with a sign "Iridescent catfish, stays small, £5 for 10"

Wills

ha by chance is the Pangasius your talking about come from a local shop say just outside of Hedon? I got sold 2 a long time ago when I was young and uneducated, told them the tank was 180l and they said they would be fine and i could even up the numbers.

This is not in the fish shop I use but I thought I would venture out and look at other fish shops and what they have in stock, well this other shop I went into had lots of tiny tanks with a few dead fish floating about inside, also there was about 10 mollies swimming nose to tail in one of said tanks (yes it was that small) but the worst was as we walked along looking at each other (OH and I) in shock we reached the final one in which I marched out of there (not before being told they were getting new stock later - I mean really? Where were they going to go) was a large grey fish I am not entirely sure what it was but in this tank it could not have turned around, seriously not a change of it turning around, it could have flipped its tail the once and got to the top of the tank but that is all, I was genuinely disgusted. Safe to say I will be sticking with my usual fish shop. :-(

Store clerk dropping a fish on the ground and asking a 3 yr old to pick it up and put it in the bag for him. I promptly told the father to ask for a new fish as that one would probably die and he said thanks. Made me angry at the store clerk though :angry: .

It was horrible, about 10 bettas in the little cups were seriously rotted so bad you could see bones and mold. In the same Walmart on the same day, about 6 beautiful columbian sharks had parasites so bad you could see them and they were scrapping soooooo bad on the bottom to get the parasites off. Worst was all of them were in a 5 gallon tank. Also in the same place on the same day, about 5 pictus catfish barely holding onto life and staying completely still in a 5 gallon tank. The worst part I couldn't even find a employee to tell about it because no one was even by the fish. That will make any fish keeper cringe at the sight. I dont even know why it has fish or even why they would have those kinds of large catfish. owefull :sick: :sad:

It would be wise not to name the LFS directly as it subjects our wonderful moderators to legal liabilities...

Every tank was filthy and infected with Ich, velvet, and/or columnaris...multiple fish dead in ever tank. There were a bunch of bettas dead in their cups.

I told some of the store staff about it and they just shrugged and went their ways. Several days later I went back just to see if anything had been done...and it was worse than ever. Recently I went back to get some Prime (they are the only store that carries large containers of it), and the tanks actually were very clean and the fish looked healthy.

The same store also sells birds, hamsters and other rodents, fish, arachnids, snakes, other reptiles and hermit crabs. I've rescued a few crabs from there, but won't buy from their again after my last experience. There were multiple crabs dead and rotting with maggots crawling all over. There was no water (fresh or ocean salt water) available and no food-not that they feed them the correct diet anyways. The tanks stunk to high heaven...

I talked about the conditions very loudly about it to my boyfriend while we were in there and mentioned I was going to be contacting their manager about the care the animals were getting. I'm not sure if I was heard or not by the staff, but the hermit crab conditions have improved since then. I can't say much for the other critters or birds though...their care is still awful.

Had a customer come in and demand i got her two clownfish right away, straight away she got my back up... but i got on with it, most fishkeepers seem to be rude anyway (not forumites, would hope you know better!...maybe :p ).

But I got a bag and followed her over to the marines with a bag and started the usual spiel of "So.. is this a new marine set up?" leading onto the maturity, size, stocking of the settup etc...

To get the answer "Oh for goodness sake, i am NOT going to answer all these ridiculous questions, I've been keeping fish for 15 years and i deserve better treatment than this!" :blink:

I replied with "Look, I am really sorry, to ask questions is my job, this is my second day here and I dont know if you are a regular customer or not... If you want to buy fish, I need answers..."

"Oh for fs sake my tank is 300L and over 10 years old etc etc... Now are you happy?!"

Me: "certainly... a pair of common clowns was it?" (we had 4 species)

"Oh for goodness sake I could get them faster myself, yes the common clowns, i said i wanted clowns didnt i, i thought you were meant to listen to my answers!"

I kept my patience :good: though admittedly i was shaking like a leaf at this point i was so angry and she was one scarey woman!

We got to the till and i put in the price for the fish and then she had an absolute spac at me because they were £3 more expensive than they were priced up as 3 weeks ago....

I tried to explain that this was a new batch and unfortunately with the Rate Of Exchange so poor and getting worse, the price had to go up a bit...

Whilst this was going on she had been entering her pin number to pay by card...

Her trolly was about 2 meters away at the end of the desk and she snatched the carrier bag with the fish bag in it and chucked it hard into the trolley from where she was...

:crazy:

If she hadnt already taken her card out, i would have refunded the money and taken the clowns back off her, or better still, just taken the clowns off her but she stormed out effing and blinding at me.

----

Another time i had this HUGE bloke... over 6ft by a good way and built like a bouncer... ask me if i would like to "take this argument outside" as he punch one hand into the other...

Me... I am 5ft and a woman... not that it makes much difference but seriously!? All because I told him he couldnt put a goldfish in a bowl and then when he changed his story and suddenly 'remembered it wasnt a bowl, its a smallish tank with a filter' I told him that unfortunately I didnt believe him and without proof, he wasnt going to be leaving the shop with fish from any of the staff...

I said "Sure, lets take it outside then!"

He wasnt so sure of himself then was he LOL his girlfriend dragged him out the shop :rolleyes:

Had a customer come in and demand i got her two clownfish right away, straight away she got my back up... but i got on with it, most fishkeepers seem to be rude anyway (not forumites, would hope you know better!...maybe :p ).

But I got a bag and followed her over to the marines with a bag and started the usual spiel of "So.. is this a new marine set up?" leading onto the maturity, size, stocking of the settup etc...

To get the answer "Oh for goodness sake, i am NOT going to answer all these ridiculous questions, I've been keeping fish for 15 years and i deserve better treatment than this!" :blink:

I replied with "Look, I am really sorry, to ask questions is my job, this is my second day here and I dont know if you are a regular customer or not... If you want to buy fish, I need answers..."

"Oh for fs sake my tank is 300L and over 10 years old etc etc... Now are you happy?!"

Me: "certainly... a pair of common clowns was it?" (we had 4 species)

"Oh for goodness sake I could get them faster myself, yes the common clowns, i said i wanted clowns didnt i, i thought you were meant to listen to my answers!"

I kept my patience :good: though admittedly i was shaking like a leaf at this point i was so angry and she was one scarey woman!

We got to the till and i put in the price for the fish and then she had an absolute spac at me because they were £3 more expensive than they were priced up as 3 weeks ago....

I tried to explain that this was a new batch and unfortunately with the Rate Of Exchange so poor and getting worse, the price had to go up a bit...

Whilst this was going on she had been entering her pin number to pay by card...

Her trolly was about 2 meters away at the end of the desk and she snatched the carrier bag with the fish bag in it and chucked it hard into the trolley from where she was...

:crazy:

If she hadnt already taken her card out, i would have refunded the money and taken the clowns back off her, or better still, just taken the clowns off her but she stormed out effing and blinding at me.

----

Another time i had this HUGE bloke... over 6ft by a good way and built like a bouncer... ask me if i would like to "take this argument outside" as he punch one hand into the other...

Me... I am 5ft and a woman... not that it makes much difference but seriously!? All because I told him he couldnt put a goldfish in a bowl and then when he changed his story and suddenly 'remembered it wasnt a bowl, its a smallish tank with a filter' I told him that unfortunately I didnt believe him and without proof, he wasnt going to be leaving the shop with fish from any of the staff...

I said "Sure, lets take it outside then!"

He wasnt so sure of himself then was he LOL his girlfriend dragged him out the shop :rolleyes:

o_O some people are so rude !! lol at the big guy :p Not as tough as he thinks :p

Yeah but the screaming kid thing is not confined to fish shops is it.... worst thing I have ever seen in a shop, 100 or so Pangasious, a hand full of Vampire Tetras...., red tailed catfish and a goliath tiger fish.... the Vampires and Goliath were in the same shop, seen too many red tails that I care to remember and though I have seen many Pangasious over single occasions I cant quite get over seeing a full wall of baby ones with a sign "Iridescent catfish, stays small, £5 for 10"

Wills

ha by chance is the Pangasius your talking about come from a local shop say just outside of Hedon? I got sold 2 a long time ago when I was young and uneducated, told them the tank was 180l and they said they would be fine and i could even up the numbers.

Yep, when I set up my tank after a house move I went to have a look because I remembered it was quite big but I got in and the full wall was full of the things :/ I asked if they knew the scientific name and they didnt even know what scientific names were.... I explained I was worried they were monsters and they said they have never heard of them getting bigger than they were now....

Wills

By no means the worst thing I've heard, but one of the stupidest...

Overheard in an lfs out of my usual area yesterday:

"I've got a 60 litre tank with [insert loads of fish here] in, have I got room for any mollies?"
"Not really, you've got a lot of fish in the water already"
"Oh. Isn't there anything I can add?"
"You could add some bottom feeders"
"Oh cool, I'll have a look"

Woman looks in the tanks...

"How many of these could I have?"
"As many as you like. Cos they live on the bottom, they don't count as fish swimming in the water, taking up space."

The woman happily bought a bagful of CAEs!

Wow, there's some horror stories here :crazy:

I'm lucky my LFS is so good!

Ok, I have seen them sell the odd goldie with a plastic starter tank, and of course, they have the occaisional dead fish, but if you ask you get some really good advice. The two 'main' guys really know their stuff but even the weekend staff are pretty good and if they're not sure about something when I ask, they'll go and check rather than make something up!

Seeing all this stuff makes me feel very grateful that I live where I do; it's a nice 15 minute stroll down the lane for me to get there too!

I was in my regular shop once and there was that family with two kids picking up goldfish for their new 10G tank. They ended up with 6, three for each kid

There is another shop that I buy some dry staff from as it is cheaper and has great selection.
The tanks are in horrible condition. The first time I went looking for some fancy corydoras I was in shock. There were as many dead fish as there were alive in the tanks. Skinny plecos with sunken bellies were feasting on their dead roommates.
The guppy tank was horrid too, there were probably only a few that had any colour, they had all turned whitish looking.
I still havent't come around to buy a fish from there, although they do have some rare species and the tanks the last time I went looked a bit better, only a few dead fish here and there :crazy:

Most reactions

Back