The world of a turtle

Part of that actually answered some questions the rest was pointless waffle

While we're teaching life lessons then, it's considered polite when someone has "answered some questions" you asked, to say thank you.

If you don't want waffle, then do your own research rather than expecting others to do it all for you.

While we're teaching life lessons then, it's considered polite when someone has "answered some questions" you asked, to say thank you.

If you don't want waffle, then do your own research rather than expecting others to do it all for you.
If I wanted waffle about life lessons and parenting advise I wouldn’t be looking for a Karen on a fish forum to do so , last time checked I asked a few questions about a turtle.
I thought this is a place where people can ask questions from people who may have experience and receive help , your suggestion of do your own research instead of asking questions makes websites like this completely redundant

Hi all please can we cool this thread down a bit. I can see both sides in this but I think guy is right this is a place to help people even if we think they have made the wrong decision at the start of their project or journey.

Let’s try and lift people up rather than bash them down 😊

I wouldn’t be looking for a Karen on a fish forum to do so ,

A Karen? LOL. A word used only by sexists, incels, or people repeating long dead memes because they lack originality.
I thought this is a place where people can ask questions from people who may have experience and receive help , your suggestion of do your own research instead of asking questions makes websites like this completely redundant
Oh it is a place for people to ask questions. And again again, you'll see the advice repeated that people need to do their research from reliable sources before they buy and add fish to their tank.

You've been here long enough and made enough mistakes with just throwing fish in there, and worrying about whether it can work later, to know better.

You're not someone brand new to the hobby who innocently trusted bad advice from a fish store. You choose to keep doing it, and have yet to explain why. Poor impulse control? Lack of care for animal welfare? Not sure why. But you consciously keep making the same choices, not caring about the welfare of the animals you buy, and expect not to be called out on it? Please.

Hi all please can we cool this thread down a bit. I can see both sides in this but I think guy is right this is a place to help people even if we think they have made the wrong decision at the start of their project or journey.

Let’s try and lift people up rather than bash them down 😊

My apologies, didn't see this posted while I was writing my last response. I'll leave the thread and avoid this poster from now on.

To reiterate some of the points brought up earlier:
- Musk turtles are weak swimmers. It needs shallow water, and needs to be able to reach the surface for air by crawling on structure, not having to swim.
- It must have proper UVB lighting. I recommend a Reptisun 5.0 bulb.
- Water must be heated to appropriate temperature.
- A warm basking light and basking area must be provided.
- A cycled tank would be nice, but very difficult to achieve without a very large enclosure. Turtles are messy. Focus on mechanical filtration and regular water changes.
- If you want to keep small fish with it, go right ahead. The turtle will enjoy eating them.
- Overfeeding turtles can lead to uneven shell growth. Avoid the temptation to feed it every time it begs for food.

Turtles have very little in common with fish. I think this point has been well made already, but you really need to study up un them. Musk turtles can be engaging, long lived pets with proper care.
FYI, I have a snapping turtle that I hatched from the egg in 1986.

- Musk turtles are weak swimmers. It needs shallow water, and needs to be able to reach the surface for air by crawling on structure, not having to swim.
- A cycled tank would be nice, but very difficult to achieve without a very large enclosure. Turtles are messy. Focus on mechanical filtration and regular water changes.
- If you want to keep small fish with it, go right ahead. The turtle will enjoy eating them.
- Overfeeding turtles can lead to uneven shell growth. Avoid the temptation to feed it every time it begs for food.

Turtles have very little in common with fish. I think this point has been well made already, but you really need to study up un them. Musk turtles can be engaging, long lived pets with proper care.
Good info thanks , from what iv been reading apparently Razorback musk spend most of there lives in water and have ways of breathing oxygen through the water so didn’t want to just assume it Didn’t have to reach the surface , I have read very conflicting things about them such as the predominantly live in water but not strong swimmers also reading tank mates such as tetra which seems a long shot even to me , il be opening my main filter tomorrow and swap some media so it can return to its own tank by Monday my cichlids haven’t taken too well to it and are nippy towards it not that it seems to mind , it’s made no effort to reach the surface so far and is just chilling on some slate

Now that's an appropriate post. Teach the OP about proper care. It is up to the OP whether he will follow the guidance; we can only hope the OP follows it. This could be a learning experience for the OP.

Let's keep posts here respectful to others and not let anger get the best of you.

Now that's an appropriate post. Teach the OP about proper care. It is up to the OP whether he will follow the guidance; we can only hope the OP follows it. This could be a learning experience for the OP.

Let's keep posts here respectful to others and not let anger get the best of you.
I will be following lol I knew it was only a temporary solution I was just gambling on which temporary body of water was best and knowing my main tank is well established with no issues I’m hoping the little turtle does ok for a few days in an unsuited tank rather than a suited tank with bad water so far so good

Attachments

• 845FB77D-0481-4928-ACC9-3857933439E7.jpeg
    845FB77D-0481-4928-ACC9-3857933439E7.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 22

Most reactions

Back