šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Ok .. I bought a turtle
Specifically a Razorback musk turtle
Honestly have no idea lol
My daughter asked for one after Iā€™d had a few cans of Belgium fighting juice and having a fish man that will deliver has lead me to be the owner of a 1 inch turtle, iv done a bit of research on them but still have more questions than answers ,
Itā€™s in its own 50l tank currently.. uncycled it has a adjustable filter and a heater which is at 78f maybe a little high ? Being uncycled Iā€™m bracing for a lot of maintenance being a small tank , I have read these turtles are mostly aquatic and take oxygen from the water , does this mean the water quality should be on par with my main tank ? Or is there a little more space for error ?
Could I just put it in my 500l?
I havenā€™t for reasons of not knowing would it be eaten would it just die as the tank is too deep would itā€™s presence disturb my fish all questions Iā€™m not sure on also my tank is all South American and Iā€™m thinking these are north and Central American turtle?? Honestly whatā€™s just the best way of going about it now iv already got it lol

ammonia and nitrite are still toxic to turtles

turtles eat fish, don't put them in your fish tank
Hmmmm it might go in my established tank then rather than messing about with filters swapping media and such I have no worries of it eating any of my fish itā€™s barely an inch in size Iā€™d have more worry of my fish picking it apart over time especially my Severum but itā€™s small enough to avoid anything in there really Iā€™m guessing this kind of turtle canā€™t drown ? And can live in deeper water without any access to the surface ?

Ok but can this type of turtle drown ?? We have established that #waterqualitymatters
So logically the risks are try and fast cycle this tank or put it my main tank and the only risk I can see for the turtle at this time in the main tank is that it could drown if thatā€™s even a possibility with this type , obviously that wouldnā€™t be a final home just gives me time to set things up properly

Pet of the Month starts at end of September..hint hint

Pet of the Month starts at end of September..hint hint
Ooooo iv just bought a Victorian bulldog puppy rather than a mortgage might see if she was worth it lol

Give the guy a raft to sit on if he wants to
Iv got some wood Iā€™m trying to sink in there which is still bobbing around

Ooooo iv just bought a Victorian bulldog puppy rather than a mortgage might see if she was worth it lol
I hope you researched what care the dog needs before impulse buying her the way you did the turtle...

I hope you researched what care the dog needs before impulse buying her the way you did the turtle...
I already own one .. you donā€™t impulse buy something that costs Ā£4000 itā€™s kind of a planed decision but thanks for the concern

I already own one .. you donā€™t impulse buy something that costs Ā£4000 itā€™s kind of a planed decision but thanks for the concern

But if the animal is cheap, then you don't bother doing any research before buying them, because who cares if they die, right?

Ok .. I bought a turtle
Specifically a Razorback musk turtle
Honestly have no idea lol
My daughter asked for one after Iā€™d had a few cans of Belgium fighting juice and having a fish man that will deliver has lead me to be the owner of a 1 inch turtle, iv done a bit of research on them but still have more questions than answers ,

Honestly whatā€™s just the best way of going about it now iv already got it lol

What a wonderful example to set for your daughter. To buy the animal just because you feel like it, and then worry about what kind of care it might need and whether you can provide that!

But hey, it's cheap, so who cares if it has a short miserable life before it dies, right? It's just a turtle, you'll buy her another one!

Could I just put it in my 500l?
I havenā€™t for reasons of not knowing would it be eaten would it just die as the tank is too deep would itā€™s presence disturb my fish all questions
No. As well as it being too deep, I would have concerns about whether the fish would eat all food you try to give the turtle before the turtle stands a chance.
Iā€™m guessing this kind of turtle canā€™t drown ? And can live in deeper water without any access to the surface ?
??? No, it can't live without access to the surface. It needs accessible basking space on land, along with UVA and UVB. How do you expect the turtle to scramble up deep, sheer glass walls to access the land area too? They usually scramble about on the bottom, then climb rocks and things to bask on land. Doing that (while swimming past a bunch of huge fish) in a huge sheer glass tank is not the same.

Ever tried to climb onto a float that's bobbling and rolling in the water while having nothing to stand on? How is the turtle meant to climb onto a log that's just floating, bobbling and rolling, dumping it back into the water every time? (while predators swim just below the turtle too). I assume there's no basking lamp above that wood either, so what's the point?

But I'm not a turtle person, and I'm not taking time out of my day to learn more about them just because you are an irresponsible pet owner who should do his own research.
obviously that wouldnā€™t be a final home just gives me time to set things up properly

Sure, sure. You totally plan to set the ideal enclosure for it...

This is why responsible people research a potential pet and arrange the set up it needs before they just buy it on a whim. My folks raised me to do that when the internet wasn't freely available, and people had to find information from books, pet shops and hobbyists alone. You have the whole of the internet at your fingertips at any time, but still can't be bothered to research first, buy later.

You did the same with fish, throwing fish that will attack and stress each other out into the same tank, then worrying about where to put them later. And you claimed to have learned your lesson over your many conversations with Wills. But here we are again, and you're still laughing about it because the turtle is cheap, and you'd never make the same mistake if the turtle cost as much as the dog did!

Some of us don't measure the value of a living thing by how much it costs.

What a wonderful example to set for your daughter. To buy the animal just because you feel like it, and then worry about what kind of care it might need and whether you can provide that!

But hey, it's cheap, so who cares if it has a short miserable life before it dies, right? It's just a turtle, you'll buy her another one!

No. As well as it being too deep, I would have concerns about whether the fish would eat all food you try to give the turtle before the turtle stands a chance.

??? No, it can't live without access to the surface. It needs accessible basking space on land, along with UVA and UVB. How do you expect the turtle to scramble up deep, sheer glass walls to access the land area too? They usually scramble about on the bottom, then climb rocks and things to bask on land. Doing that (while swimming past a bunch of huge fish) in a huge sheer glass tank is not the same.

Ever tried to climb onto a float that's bobbling and rolling in the water while having nothing to stand on? How is the turtle meant to climb onto a log that's just floating, bobbling and rolling, dumping it back into the water every time? (while predators swim just below the turtle too). I assume there's no basking lamp above that wood either, so what's the point?

But I'm not a turtle person, and I'm not taking time out of my day to learn more about them just because you are an irresponsible pet owner who should do his own research.

Sure, sure. You totally plan to set the ideal enclosure for it...

This is why responsible people research a potential pet and arrange the set up it needs before they just buy it on a whim. My folks raised me to do that when the internet wasn't freely available, and people had to find information from books, pet shops and hobbyists alone. You have the whole of the internet at your fingertips at any time, but still can't be bothered to research first, buy later.

You did the same with fish, throwing fish that will attack and stress each other out into the same tank, then worrying about where to put them later. And you claimed to have learned your lesson over your many conversations with Wills. But here we are again, and you're still laughing about it because the turtle is cheap, and you'd never make the same mistake if the turtle cost as much as the dog did!

Some of us don't measure the value of a living thing by how much it costs.
Part of that actually answered some questions the rest was pointless waffle

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back