The "red Clay Method"

snazy said:

Edit: The crypt was bought from someone who didn't inject Co2 into their tank either and just had sand substrate and LED lights...

That doesn't mean a thing. Has any of you ever measured the CO2 levels in the tanks(which is kind of impossible)? They could be totally different. Your plants are telling you they aren't getting enough co2, maybe even not getting enough flow/distribution of CO2 if you've changed a filter or the filter position. Honestly, it's not some kind of mystery no one has experienced.

Filter hasn't changed, I've had the Crypt over a year with no added Co2 and it's been in this tank since last year with not problems until last week which was before your plants were added it suddenly started melting. I know it's lack of Co2, I'm not saying it's not. I'm more trying to figure out why it's lack of Co2 when nothing had changed when it started melting.

Filter hasn't changed, I've had the Crypt over a year with no added Co2 and it's been in this tank since last year with not problems until last week which was before your plants were added it suddenly started melting. I know it's lack of Co2, I'm not saying it's not. I'm more trying to figure out why it's lack of Co2 when nothing had changed when it started melting.

You crypt should have been massive for over a year in your tank if it got enough co2 and nutritients to grow. It's been in survival mode and maybe it can't cope anymore.  Crypts are still hard to completely melt and be killed but they do sometimes. I've killed a crypt
smile.png

Edit: It's hard to know what has changed. Many things contribute to co2 in a low tech, like surface agitation, amount of waste decomposition in the substrate(siphoning a planted tank is not recommended), amount of bioload contributes to co2 and if decreased the plants will suffer, the amount and type of food served, etc..

snazy said:

You crypt should have been massive for over a year in your tank if it got enough co2 and nutritients to grow. It's been in survival mode and maybe it can't cope anymore.  Crypts are still hard to completely melt and be killed but they do sometimes. I've killed a crypt
smile.png

Edit: It's hard to know what has changed. Many things contribute to co2 in a low tech, like surface agitation, amount of waste decomposition in the substrate(siphoning a planted tank is not recommended), amount of bioload contributes to co2 and if decreased the plants will suffer, the amount and type of food served, etc..

It was pretty big
confused.gif
I've had plantlets off it loads of times and loads of plantlets that I've separated and re-planted and have grown and been sold one but although it's still producing plantlets, the actual mother plant is melting back and dying... I know crypts are hard to kill which is exactly why I got it, I'd prefer to keep it but I don't think it's going to last much longer now.

Surface agitation is the same, I don't siphon the bottom, I have recently lost my male gold ram though if one fish will send it tipping the wrong way?

I'd prefer to keep it but I don't think it's going to last much longer now.

Do you have plant pots at home to steal a miniature amount of soil? You can put the crypt in some soil or if not available, normal old mature substrate. You can use a plastic or glass transparent bowls. Just flood the substrate with tank water but leave the crypt leaves uncovered. Then for the majority of the time seal the container with some cling film so the air stays moist but maybe leave a hole so some air can get in.  That way it will get aerial co2 and should even grow well if there are enough nutritients in the substrate. You can add up more tank water if the substrate evaporates. Put it on the window of course in order to get light.  Crypts grow quite well emmersed like that.

snazy said:

I'd prefer to keep it but I don't think it's going to last much longer now.

Do you have plant pots at home to steal a miniature amount of soil? You can put the crypt in some soil or if not available, normal old mature substrate. You can use a plastic or glass transparent bowls. Just flood the substrate with tank water but leave the crypt leaves uncovered. Then for the majority of the time seal the container with some cling film so the air stays moist but maybe leave a hole so some air can get in.  That way it will get aerial co2 and should even grow well if there are enough nutritients in the substrate. You can add up more tank water if the substrate evaporates. Put it on the window of course in order to get light.  Crypts grow quite well emmersed like that.

I have home made soil? It's in a compost bin on the balcony... The thing is, it has some shop bought stuff that has little white balls of fertilizer in it?

I have home made soil? It's in a compost bin on the balcony... The thing is, it has some shop bought stuff that has little white balls of fertilizer in it?

Don't worry, plants won't mind that.

snazy said:

So I can put it in a plant pot with some of the soil in the compost bin and let it grow immersed until I can add it back to my tank? I know to expect some melt when I add it back to the tank but it should survive once the tank is set up properly?

Paradise3 said:

So I can put it in a plant pot with some of the soil in the compost bin and let it grow immersed until I can add it back to my tank? I know to expect some melt when I add it back to the tank but it should survive once the tank is set up properly?

Yes, it should survive like that and grow. The roots need to be in the soil, the leaves outside but moist at all time, hence the cling film to prevent too much fresh air from drying them out. You can also sprinkle them with some water daily. You can cap the soil with a tiny layer of gravel/sand but it isn't necessary, it will just stop the soil from getting messy.

snazy said:

Yes, it should survive like that and grow. The roots need to be in the soil, the leaves outside but moist at all time, hence the cling film to prevent too much fresh air from drying them out. You can also sprinkle them with some water daily. You can cap the soil with a tiny layer of gravel/sand but it isn't necessary, it will just stop the soil from getting messy.

Ah, cool. Thanks :) Didn't know i could do that once they'd been grown submersed...

Plants adapt better to moving to higher co2 levels, as in changing from submersed to immersed. The other way around is more stressful but even if it melts when you move it back, the crown will be healthy and will regrow new leaves.
To be honest, the crypt will probably do better than in your tank at the moment even if you fully flood that container as in a normal tank but just move it to soil substrate. In this scenario cap the soil with a bit of gravel or sand so it doesnt go into the water.

snazy said:
Plants adapt better to moving to higher co2 levels, as in changing from submersed to immersed. The other way around is more stressful but even if it melts when you move it back, the crown will be healthy and will regrow new leaves.
To be honest, the crypt will probably do better than in your tank at the moment even if you fully flood that container as in a normal tank but just move it to soil substrate. In this scenario cap the soil with a bit of gravel or sand so it doesnt go into the water.

Thanks, will tell my mum to do that now then :)

I got this picture from somewhere else just to give you an idea of emersed growth. I actually have a coconut cave with anubias attached in a plastic pot with little water and ferts because I can't find a place in the tanks and I just looked and it's grown a lot. These plants just need moist on their leaves to prevent them from drying but that's how they grow in nature after all, in high humidity, not water.
The owner's plants were initially grown submersed in the same tank but he rescaped and is giving them a "dry method" start.

mku7.jpg

I said it before, but you mum is super nice :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back