The "red Clay Method"

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You guys want to save on money? Designer substrates too expensive or you just want to add more space on your budget? 

Try the red clay method of substrate. 

Why Red clay?: Red clay or laterite contains iron. A very important micro nutrient. It reduces the Ammount of ferts you will have to use.

How to do the red clay method:

What you need:

Red clay
Sand
Gravel

Procedure:

Put about 1.5-2 inches layer of clay on your tank.
Put a 1 inch layer of river sand on top of the clay
Put a 1/4 inch of gravel just enough to leave some space for plants.

I've tried it before! trust me on this method!!!

I am planning a soil tank using the walstad method.

Unfortunately it is currently full of jaguar juveniles waiting to grow enough to be sold and then I have a discus breeding programme for it lined up, so it is still a bit far in the future.

It's more beneficial becuase of it's CEC value than it's iron content. Even the simplest most over priced plant foods without any of the important nutrients like Nitrate and Phosphate contain Iron.
I'd definitely use this method before buying something like JBL balls tho - or even roll your own balls out of red clay...so to speak.
Akadema is also a cheap red clay solution on the same lines - Cat litter too.

IMO

SO19Firearms said:
It's more beneficial becuase of it's CEC value than it's iron content. Even the simplest most over priced plant foods without any of the important nutrients like Nitrate and Phosphate contain Iron.
I'd definitely use this method before buying something like JBL balls tho - or even roll your own balls out of red clay...so to speak.
Akadema is also a cheap red clay solution on the same lines - Cat litter too.

IMO

Thanks for adding more info on this method!!! I want to tell people how to save money on plant substrate! :)

Do any of these heavy metals affect the fish in any way? If it is safely underneath 2 layers of sand and gravel is it less of a worry that way?

Just curious but do the water treatments (metal removers) have an affect on these metal based nutrients?

I'm going for the soil method that Snazy gave me which uses some Natural Red Clay powder. I'm paying £20 for 5kg of the red clay powder. I'll be putting a tutorial up on how I do it when I can afford everything and can get round to it :)

fm1978 said:
Do any of these heavy metals affect the fish in any way? If it is safely underneath 2 layers of sand and gravel is it less of a worry that way?

Just curious but do the water treatments (metal removers) have an affect on these metal based nutrients?

The chemicals do affect it to some extent.
but in my experience it never harmed my shrimp and fish.

fm1978 said:
Do any of these heavy metals affect the fish in any way?
You're overthinking it. Heavy metals are stuff like Mercury, Cadmium, Lead etc.
We tend to deal in the essential trace minerals - Iron, Copper, Molybdenum etc - and then added in trace amounts. So in short - safe lol

IMO

Have a butchers at Substrate on the Cheap if you're interested in clay substrates :)

SO19Firearms said:
Have a butchers at Substrate on the Cheap if you're interested in clay substrates
smile.png

Ah but I need Red Clay Powder for mine, not Akadama or I would use that instead.

Mine is;

0.5inch of Top Soil with 10% Natural Red Clay Powder mixed in.
1inch of Gravel or Black Sand whichever I choose.

Paradise3 said:

Have a butchers at Substrate on the Cheap if you're interested in clay substrates
smile.png

Ah but I need Red Clay Powder for mine, not Akadama or I would use that instead.

Mine is;

Your choice really on which sand to use.

DerpPH said:

smile.png

Mine is;

Well I have black & white gravel at the moment but I want pure black gravel or preferably pure black sand as I want some cory's and althought they'd be happy with the gravel I have as it's small and smooth, I think my rams would prefer the sand too as it's easier for them to dig in. Now to source some black sand that isn't £20 for a 2kg bag....

DerPH, have you done any testing on this?

The key issue being, redness caused by iron oxide is a form of iron not easily accessible to plants, a bit like Iron sulphates, not very useful to plants at all.
Iron chelates are more readily taken up but even those and EDTA bound solutions made by aquarium suppliers and manufacturers require
some chemical or biological processing before they can be absorbed. By far the best sort of iron are the citrated iron, this is the kind of iron which actually does the work
biologically in the stems and leaves of the plant itself.

Paradise3 said:

smile.png

Mine is;

Well I have black & white gravel at the moment but I want pure black gravel or preferably pure black sand as I want some cory's and althought they'd be happy with the gravel I have as it's small and smooth, I think my rams would prefer the sand too as it's easier for them to dig in. Now to source some black sand that isn't £20 for a 2kg bag....

Good luck on that!!!
coolie said:
DerPH, have you done any testing on this?

The key issue being, redness caused by iron oxide is a form of iron not easily accessible to plants, a bit like Iron sulphates, not very useful to plants at all.
Iron chelates are more readily taken up but even those and EDTA bound solutions made by aquarium suppliers and manufacturers require
some chemical or biological processing before they can be absorbed. By far the best sort of iron are the citrated iron, this is the kind of iron which actually does the work
biologically in the stems and leaves of the plant itself.

Not really. Well it did make my plants flourish. Its formula is just like the many Designer substrates but without the flashy and expensive price.

And I was advised by a Marine biologist who happens to be my uncle..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back