Best non-liquid, non-clay iron for DIY root tabs & Enriching inert substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Firestorm_1976

Reaction score
Hello plant experts! I would like to ask for your advice.

I am trying to re-vitalize my 40 gal breeder with inert gravel substrate that has been running since 7/2021, and the plants have been going downhill (attached photo of the tank was taken after I recently added sand and some new plants).

I want to revitalize this tank, but the obstacle to some major interventions is that my life is pretty stressful right now, so a mammoth project, like replacing the substrate is completely out of question. Instead, I am looking for small but meaningful, easy & doable interventions that hopefully end up making a difference.

Thus far, I implemented the following interventions. I topped MOST of the tank's gravel substrate with about 1" of fine sand. I made DIY root tabs about two weeks ago, and inserted about 15 of them (00 gelatin capsules) as deep into the substrate as I could. The root tabs contained Osmocote Plus, Calcium Phosphate dibasic, Muriate of potash, organic bone meal and crashed Indian almond leaf (I figured the decomposition will release some small amounts of CO2).

Additionally, four days ago, I got a paintball CO2 system going. I've been in the hobby (on and off) since 1992, always heavily planted tanks, and this is literally my very first CO2 system ever! So, that's exciting!

I realized that my root tabs are lacking iron. Which non-clay and non-liquid supplemental iron (powder or smaller granules) can I put in my root tabs? I ordered a larger gelatin capsules that should arrive today--size 000--and want to make a few more capsules with iron and insert them this week.

Finally, I had this idea that I'd like to run by plant experts. What if I also add some pre-mineralized finely sifted soil (that I pre-made for a dirtied filterless project that I never ended up doing) to my root tabs? Would it be a good way to enrich the substrate? Or is it a bad idea?

I do occasionally use all-in-one liquid fert (Thrive) and also add a small amounts of liquid potassium and iron. But whenever I use it consistently, even in 1/3 of the recommended amount, it does seem to cause diatom issues for me. So, not really a fan of ferts that go into water column.

If it makes any difference, I am in Arizona, and use tap water (treated with Hikari Ultimate and usually aged for a few days). I just recently added a heater, and the water is now 79-80 F. Until then, during winter months, the water was around 73-75 F (if that makes a difference).

Thank you so much in advance,

Yulia

Attachments

• 11-28-2023.jpg
    11-28-2023.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back