The re-scape journal (found a great deal on river rocks!!!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hold on, do you have soft water or hard water (Sorry I forgot) because snails in soft water is bad. Yes, some people do put supplement mineral blocks but from what I've seen, it doesn't work well.
But if snails are something you need, 3 nerites should be enough (it is a 10 gallon, right?). But maybe you'll be able to find those cappuccino snails somewhere. They are not common, and there is little info on them but if you need some information on them, just tag me🙂

Hold on, do you have soft water or hard water (Sorry I forgot) because snails in soft water is bad. Yes, some people do put supplement mineral blocks but from what I've seen, it doesn't work well.
But if snails are something you need, 3 nerites should be enough (it is a 10 gallon, right?). But maybe you'll be able to find those cappuccino snails somewhere. They are not common, and there is little info on them but if you need some information on them, just tag me🙂
Its a 20 gallon high and snails do good in soft water! The KH (carbonate hardness) should provide them with the calcium they need and I have a very high KH. Correct me if I am wrong please. Ive seen many snails kept in soft water with no real health issues...

Here are some before the change, night of the change, and day after the change photos...

Before:
0331221049a.jpg

Night of:
0417222119.jpg

Day after (this morning):
0418221001.jpg

I tested the water a few moments ago and rhe ammonia is 0 along with the nitrites. Glad to see that settled. I think the tank is just going through a small bacteria bloom is all

It's GH that is the measure of calcium, not KH. Carbonates and bicarbonates are not necessarily calcium salts.

It's GH that is the measure of calcium, not KH. Carbonates and bicarbonates are not necessarily calcium salts.
Good to know. My GH is at a 3 DGH. Would that be good enough for snails?

It may be a bit on the low side for new shell formation as the snail grows, but with your high pH the shell shouldn't erode.

I know of people in the UK who have soft water and snails, and some of them use Shrimp King Snail Stixx to feed the snails - this contains calcium, amongst other things. I don't know if it's available in the US though.

It may be a bit on the low side for new shell formation as the snail grows, but with your high pH the shell shouldn't erode.

I know of people in the UK who have soft water and snails, and some of them use Shrimp King Snail Stixx to feed the snails - this contains calcium, amongst other things. I don't know if it's available in the US though.
I will look that up and see how much it is and if the U.S. gets it... Thank you!

I looked that snail food up and its like $20... CRAZY! I would spend that much for quality fish food but snail food for that much? No wayyy. I might be able to find a cheaper alternative that is as healthy or more healthy... If not I may just skip the snails. How do the pond and bladder snails survive in this water then? 😅

Pest snails are impossible to kill. It's those we pay good money for which die at the least provocation :(

Pest snails are impossible to kill. It's those we pay good money for which die at the least provocation :(
I laugh cause its sooo true... You get the pests for free cause they cant die... So why cant we get free cockroaches for our reptiles and free cats that have 900 lives?
That's if :werewolf: doesnt get them first.

You get the pests for free cause they cant die... So why cant we get free cockroaches for our reptiles and free cats
Nah man. Just search "free" on Craigslist. There are so many cats. I've noticed that the majority of them are rehomed because either the owner was pregnant or the cat was pregnant. I've been begging to foster a litter because it's kitten season and shelters are just swamped rn, but my entire family has severe allergies even to our hypoallergenic cats. Of course I'm the only one who doesn't have allergies:sad:

We got a free cat :) The previous owners decided it wasn't fair on the cat to keep him so they gave him away. (Wife wanted a dog, husband who liked cats worked away from home 2 months in every 3; then they got a dog; then they had a baby. The cat was ignored and depressed. He's not now )

Nah man. Just search "free" on Craigslist. There are so many cats. I've noticed that the majority of them are rehomed because either the owner was pregnant or the cat was pregnant. I've been begging to foster a litter because it's kitten season and shelters are just swamped rn, but my entire family has severe allergies even to our hypoallergenic cats. Of course I'm the only one who doesn't have allergies:sad:
Well Im the only one that IS allergic to cats in my family... Which sucks cause I love cats... But there was one time where we almost got a cat that was a russian blue (they're supposed to be hypo allergenic) from a shelter but we just didnt know where the litter box would go :(.

We got a free cat :) The previous owners decided it wasn't fair on the cat to keep him so they gave him away. (Wife wanted a dog, husband who liked cats worked away from home 2 months in every 3; then they got a dog; then they had a baby. The cat was ignored and depressed. He's not now )
Some cats can be thousands of dollars though if you are purchasing one... ITS INSANE!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back