The re-scape journal (found a great deal on river rocks!!!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It was kinda late at night and the QT tank had very very high nitrite... Either way he could die but he has a better chance in the main tank. He would have died no doubt in the QT tank. Cause I'm adding ammonia and stuff to it soooo.... In order to put him in the breeder box i would have had to take the light and lid off of the main tank and then move the breeder box from the QT tank to the main tank which would be a pain while its a mesh one that pours out water while you move it... Also, mmaybe its an enrichment thing for the fish. You know, hunting? I bet the female got some fun adrenaline going while chasing it 😉. But I promise you if I see it I will TRY to move it to the breeder box. At the moment I was just trying to get it out of immediate danger. I didnt have time to move everything. All my dragon rock is in the QT tank so by the time I came back to him he could have hidden and then I would've been like: "Well, too bad little buddy. I'm adding ammonia in a few days so ya better show up." I feel like I made the best decision with the time I HAD. It was kinda like saving a person with a terminal disease in an area that had poison gas. You could just go: "Well he's gonna die anyways" or you can do the right thing and rescue them even though they may have a week left to live.
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. I'm afraid that wasn't the best idea. The fish had already survived for a few days, right? You could have started doing daily 50% water changes. That would have brought the nitrites and ammonia done in the quarantine tank.

And just because it would have been too much work to move the breeder box over you decided to take the easy way and put a baby fish in with something that 100% wants it as dinner?

And then to take the life of the fish so lightly and say "maybe the female got some fun adrenaline going while chasing it"?

You could have netted it into the breeder box in the quarentine tank so you could keep and eye on it then taken the cover and light of the main tank and moved the breeder box over. Made a mess? Just wipe it up!

Just my thoughts 🙃

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. I'm afraid that wasn't the best idea. The fish had already survived for a few days, right? You could have started doing daily 50% water changes. That would have brought the nitrites and ammonia done in the quarantine tank.

And just because it would have been too much work to move the breeder box over you decided to take the easy way and put a baby fish in with something that 100% wants it as dinner?

And then to take the life of the fish so lightly and say "maybe the female got some fun adrenaline going while chasing it"?

You could have netted it into the breeder box in the quarentine tank so you could keep and eye on it then taken the cover and light of the main tank and moved the breeder box over. Made a mess? Just wipe it up!

Just my thoughts 🙃
Thats true but it was like 10:30 and I wasnt thinking... I got stressed when I saw it in there so I just did the one thing that made "sense" to me at the moment and put it in an area where it isnt getting poisoned... We were all about to go to bed and my eyes were hurting cause id been up for so long lol... Somedays I feel like I can stay up forever and other days (like that one) I was done... I did think about moving it to the breeder box in the QT tank THE NEXT DAY and that was when I was like: "Shoot I really wasnt thinking right..." I kinda regret what I did but at the same time, for being really tired I think I did pretty okmaking that decision... Also, I thought @itiwhetu would understand the "hunting" part of it BECAUSE he is the one that believes a malle betta fish enjoys winning in a fight with another betta... His words not mine aand I could find that post if you wanted me to.

Thats true but it was like 10:30 and I wasnt thinking... I got stressed when I saw it in there so I just did the one thing that made "sense" to me at the moment and put it in an area where it isnt getting poisoned... We were all about to go to bed and my eyes were hurting cause id been up for so long lol... Somedays I feel like I can stay up forever and other days (like that one) I was done... I did think about moving it to the breeder box in the QT tank THE NEXT DAY and that was when I was like: "Shoot I really wasnt thinking right..." I kinda regret what I did but at the same time, for being really tired I think I did pretty okmaking that decision... Also, I thought @itiwhetu would understand the "hunting" part of it BECAUSE he is the one that believes a malle betta fish enjoys winning in a fight with another betta... His words not mine aand I could find that post if you wanted me to.
Ive really got nothing else to say in this matter. You seem pretty set thinking you made an ok decision.
I also believe male bettas would enjoy winning a fight with another betta. It's their instinct. Even humans get a sort of "high" after winning a fight.

I feel like I made the best decision AT THE TIME. The day after I thought of alternative things like putting in the fish in the breeder box as you suggested... I believe that MAYBE the fish feel good after a fight but do they REALLY "feel good" after a fight? My answer would be no because one of them would be dead or heavily injured. And I wouldnt house two males together so "one could feel good"... But to me a fish hunting food and then catching it is probably a more humane way to make a fish "feel good"... People use feeder guppies all the time sometimes... I wouldn't feed fish feeder guppies but unwanted fry I have could be I suppose. I know of others who have done the same on this forum. I wouldnt mind having a fee of my fry growing up but to be honest I'm not that focused on attempting to care for them when I need to focus on my main two fish and possibly other fish in the future... Maybe a time will come, soon or not where I will try my best to raise them but I'm not at that point yet. When I see a fry I will try to do my best to save it, but if it gets eaten, circle of life I suppose and the fish got a free meal that it hunted
Ive really got nothing else to say in this matter. You seem pretty set thinking you made an ok decision.
I also believe male bettas would enjoy winning a fight with another betta. It's their instinct. Even humans get a sort of "high" after winning a fight.

Today was water change day, so I added a few rocks to the left corner and took the airline out. This is the tank after the water change:
0422221549.jpg

@itiwhetu, I saw around 4-5 fry swimming around so I got the breeder box and the net out... I think I got one... The others went into hiding or are too quick to be caught right now... They have to be 1/16 of an inch so a photo wont work... But I do have a lot of fry swimming about and will keep you updated.

Last edited:
I managed to take a photo and crop it out... Here is a very blurry picture of one of my fry
0422221625-1.jpg

@itiwhetu, I saw around 4-5 fry swimming around so I got the breeder box and the net out... I think I got one... The others went into hiding or are too quick to be caught right now... They have to be 1/16 of an inch so a photo wont work... But I do have a lot of fry swimming about and will keep you updated.
For next time, try to suck up the fry with some rubber hose. Just siphon them right on outta there. Way easier than trying to swoop them up with a net.

For next time, try to suck up the fry with some rubber hose. Just siphon them right on outta there. Way easier than trying to swoop them up with a net.
That is actually a really really good idea... I have one in the breeder box but the rest in the main tank. They haven't caught the attention of the adults so I think I'm going to see which one does better. The one in the breeder box or the ones outside the breeder box...

I don’t know much about the fish they are. But if they are good parents like cichlids then the fry should do pretty good. I took my fry out cause they were up against tiger barbs and clown loaches, and the stress on mom wasn’t worth it. She wasn’t even letting dad near her side.

I don’t know much about the fish they are. But if they are good parents like cichlids then the fry should do pretty good. I took my fry out cause they were up against tiger barbs and clown loaches, and the stress on mom wasn’t worth it. She wasn’t even letting dad near her side.
Yah these guys are not that caressing... The female sees anything that moves as food and once the male stops guarding the eggs and they hatch... The fry move out and a day after the male views them as sushi... I wish they took more care but nope

So, the female is the fish on the left, correct?
Correct. They will flare and spin around eachother. Its a beautiful dance they do. Other times though the male isn't that majestic and instead just pushes her into a cave... That time though it was a very nice dance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back