The Disaster In Florida

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
There's an article in the NYT today about how the freeze in Florida is having an effect on the tropical fish farms there that feed the US retail tropical fish business.

Here's a Link.

I don't know if the link will work for everyone (hopefully!) At one time at least it was pretty easy to make a free ID for most/all of the articles there...

Kind of sad to think of millions of them dying when we try so hard to keep the few in our tanks alive.

~~waterdrop~~

How awful. Prices of fish will no doubt rise!

It is ridiculously could down here. Seriously. There was ice here, and it was below freezing. These fish farms, around Okeechobee, had more that 8 straight hours below 28 degrees F, which is like -3 degrees C.

SO COLD!

It is horrible, I am experiencing this now, I live in south Florida, and so has a friend of mind in this forum, Trojannemo. He went dipnetting at a wild area a week ago and found a fish paradise with hundreds, more likely thousands of fish, different species, just sitting above the water (included flagfish, gar, catfish, mayan cichlids, jewel cichlids, multiple killies, and more). He went back yesturday and there were no longer any fish near the surface. The bottom of the area (very clear water) was a wasteland of dead fish. Not exaggerating, there were hundreds of dead walking catfish alone, some were still dying with blisters on them. There were even dead egrets and great herons. With not a living creature left, replenishing might not happen as diverse as before. I'll tell him to post the pics when he has time, of before and after. It's just very devastating and sad, everything is dying, even our local artificial ponds of pacu and other large fish have been exterminated...

Here is an article that I found in my local paper about the situation:

FreezingFish.jpg

Let's hope this gets better!

-FHM

aww poor fishies!

personally i woudnt worry about the livebeaers that much, just have to save enough of the genders and theyll kick up in half a year or so.

but angels and other chiclids, those i would worry about big time.

theres already a topic for this....
The other one thread was posted at 4:00pm.

I had this one up around 8:00 am this morning, however my computer for some reason decided not to post it. I had to go off to work and did not realize it until now.

So, this was the first one, as I there where no other threads like this posted at eight in the morning.

-FHM

but most of the fish which NATURALLY occur in those states would more than likely survive, its fish that have been introduced from warmer climates that can't handle the cold, in which case they shouldn't be there anyway.
the fish farmers don't see it as we would in our tanks, for us its devestating loosing a single fish, for them they are loosing money, the thought of unhappy fish would be the last thing to cross their minds, its more likely the thought of money going down the drain that scares them.
the fish that are dieing like the angel fish etc, shouldn't be there to be exposed to that sort of weather anyway, so their deaths is the fault of whoever put them there.

Do you know if this is just freshwater, or is it marine also? I was just hoping to set up my first salty tank :unsure: . Anyway, I hope the fish are Ok, and that business can pick up for the farmers again :good:

Hate to say it but maybe it will help get rid of some of those invasive species like those pythons and oscars stupid people let go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back