The Big Figfetti

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

The Big Figfetti

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! Iā€™m Candy, the impulse buyer.

Iā€™ve been watching a UK hobbyist on YouTube for a few months and really wanted to try my hand at a low tech ecosystem or wasteland style tank. Iā€™ve never kept freshwater before. I used to keep saltwater tanks in my teens and 20ā€™s. I got out of the hobby when I had kids. And now Iā€™m jumping back in with freshwater and plants.
Problem is, Iā€™m green without a green thumb. šŸ˜•

One week ago, I was browsing at my local pet store and I came across a beautiful multicolored koi betta. (At least thatā€™s what he was labeled as, and I started researching all sorts of different kinds of bettas. Still not sure if heā€™s classified as koi or not. But heā€™s beautiful nonetheless!)

The kids and I have named him The Big Figfetti - Figgy for short. We name all our animals after food. He looks like confetti but Sprinkles just wasnā€™t gonna cut it. Fig was stuck in our brain but it was too plain. Hence the mash up name.

For kicks, hereā€™s a little rhyme we came up with:
Iā€™m the Big Figfetti
I like spaghetti
My uncles name is Yetti
Heā€™s cool but petty
Ya know Iā€™m always ready
To dart when I see netty
My homes a little wetty
But Iā€™ll always be steady

Anywho!!
Iā€™ve started him off with a 10gal planted tank. Iā€™ve got gravel, Fluval Bio Stratum, and sand on top of those. Some rocks and driftwood. I planted a bunch of things already. I went with the Aqueon Live planted clip on light. I do have a couple of questions and issues with the tank. But Iā€™ll put those in another thread and leave this to the introductions.

Thanks for all the help Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get from the forums. Happy to be here and learn how to best care for Figgy and his environment.
Here are a few pics!

Attachments

• 558DE3D4-81BC-4A3E-96ED-299492EE4E87.jpeg
    558DE3D4-81BC-4A3E-96ED-299492EE4E87.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 30
  • D776CC26-8E2F-44C5-8F89-D5E9BDA46DB4.jpeg
    D776CC26-8E2F-44C5-8F89-D5E9BDA46DB4.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 29
  • EF3618C9-B19B-4AC0-9EAA-861A78A3A145.jpeg
    EF3618C9-B19B-4AC0-9EAA-861A78A3A145.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 29

Iā€™ve been watching a UK hobbyist on YouTube for a few months and really wanted to try my hand at a low tech ecosystem or wasteland style tank.
Auto correct? Walstad tanks take research, but wasteland ones are easy.... :D

Iā€™ve been watching a UK hobbyist on YouTube for a few months and really wanted to try my hand at a low tech ecosystem or wasteland style tank. Iā€™ve never kept freshwater before. I used to keep saltwater tanks in my teens and 20ā€™s. I got out of the hobby when I had kids. And now Iā€™m jumping back in with freshwater and plants.
Problem is, Iā€™m green without a green thumb. šŸ˜•

One week ago, I was browsing at my local pet store and I came across a beautiful multicolored koi betta. (At least thatā€™s what he was labeled as, and I started researching all sorts of different kinds of bettas. Still not sure if heā€™s classified as koi or not. But heā€™s beautiful nonetheless!)

The kids and I have named him The Big Figfetti - Figgy for short. We name all our animals after food. He looks like confetti but Sprinkles just wasnā€™t gonna cut it. Fig was stuck in our brain but it was too plain. Hence the mash up name.

For kicks, hereā€™s a little rhyme we came up with:
Iā€™m the Big Figfetti
I like spaghetti
My uncles name is Yetti
Heā€™s cool but petty
Ya know Iā€™m always ready
To dart when I see netty
My homes a little wetty
But Iā€™ll always be steady

Anywho!!
Iā€™ve started him off with a 10gal planted tank. Iā€™ve got gravel, Fluval Bio Stratum, and sand on top of those. Some rocks and driftwood. I planted a bunch of things already. I went with the Aqueon Live planted clip on light. I do have a couple of questions and issues with the tank. But Iā€™ll put those in another thread and leave this to the introductions.

Thanks for all the help Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get from the forums. Happy to be here and learn how to best care for Figgy and his environment.
Here are a few pics!

Lovely :) Nice job I love your tank, and I think 10 gallons (planted) is perfect for betta. Bigger, deeper tanks, in my experience, don't work as well with them. That, and if you ever decide to add friends for him (bettas don't have to live alone - that's a myth), just make sure they're compatible. Welcome!

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who went to the moon in a bucket
.......... :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back