The Best Fertilizer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ptsteve97

Reaction score
I have a variety species of Anubias such as Nana (x3) , Glabra (x2), Barteri (x1) and Nana Golden (x1) in my Tiger Barbs tank.

I also have a Giant Marimo (x1) Water Lettuce (x2), Salvinia Auriculata (A lot) and Anubias Barteri (x1) in my Betta Tank.

I plan to buy a lot of Java Fern for my Goldfish tank.

Some of my Anubias have brown spots. I thought it is algae, but cannot be removed.

What is the best fertilizer for this plants?
Should I use root tabs?
I have found this fertilizer, is it good for my plant?

TMC light or flourish complete will be fine. Don’t plant Anubis or java fern they’re best attached to rock/wood as they like their rhizome exposed.

How long do you have your lights on for, looks like you might need to reduce intensity

Last edited:
I use Seachem flourish. My plants seem to grow well.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using 20 watts LED for approx 8 hours.

I cover my Anubias tank with black mesh lid, and the photo was taken without it.

I can't get Tatra's Planta Min in local online store, but it looks like Seachem Flourish is available.

But there are so many version:

Which one should I pick?

Yes... algae can be caused by excess nutrients in the water, or to much light. But we don't know if its algae or just dead spots, without a picture.
When I still had Candy, his anubias heterophylla had these huuge green spots on it, they wouldn't come off when scrubbed with a toothbrush. I put the anubias to my 33 gallon where I haven't added even one drop of fertiliser, the algae has gone in one night, another night the algae has disappeared completely and it doesn't show to this day.

Bit dramatic but true :p

I can't get Tatra's Planta Min in local online store, but it looks like Seachem Flourish is available.
But there are so many version:

Which one should I pick?

Seachem make several very different products under the "Flourish" name. The only one you need and want is Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. Look for this entire name. A small bottle will last you months. This is one of the best complete liquid fertilizers.

Yes... algae can be caused by excess nutrients in the water, or to much light. But we don't know if its algae or just dead spots, without a picture.
This is the brown spot on my Anubias. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe a nutrient deficiency. It still green when I buy it last month.

Seachem make several very different products under the "Flourish" name. The only one you need and want is Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. Look for this entire name. A small bottle will last you months. This is one of the best complete liquid fertilizers.
I guess this is enough for my plant is it? I will purchase it. Thanks for the recommendation.

It looks like brown spot algae to me. @Byron can tell you how to fix it in the future. For now, story to gently scrape it off.

It is always difficult to tell from photos, but I wold suggest this is a nutrient/light issue. As the rhizome extends (slowly) new leaves will arise from it and if they are healthy, you're probably OK. Leaves that are in any way weakened do not recover, this is true with every aquatic plant. Most of the time the plants are re-channeling nutrients to new leaves, not trying to repair damaged or dying leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back